Solo Mission will be activated by game?

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by FionnMacCumhaill, May 25, 2020.

1. FionnMacCumhaill

FionnMacCumhaill Commander

So, what activates it? Not sure if it is wise as I am likely to find the Heidelberg before the mission activates?

NVM it activates when you get close to the ship.

I think the text of the pda log needs to be updated though as it is still more in line with the original activatable quest. You shouldn't be investigating the heidelberg, you should "detect a signal nearby" to investigate.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  2. Pach

Pach Captain

It's to get you to explore. You explore, find the Heidelberg, and then the quest activates.

The beacons you get to start, as part of the tutorial are kind of nice, but do you really need to be hand-held all the time?

There are a few other chains that you have to find something/do something to activate them (I don't want to spoil them for you, though)

Germanicus likes this.
  3. Coreador

Coreador Commander

I did run into problems with the Talon story mission though. I think I activated it early when I was scouting but wasn't ready to do it, but after that I could never start the questline. Couldn't figure out how to trigger it via console either.

Hector G likes this.
  4. FionnMacCumhaill

Aye, the issue is that the mission briefing tells you to find the Heidelberg. How do you know the name of the ship at this point? In the past when it was via IDA it made sense, now that it is something you find when you explore you should not know the name of the ship etc. in advance by looking at the F1 mission list..

5. FionnMacCumhaill

Wildlife cam mission- seems bugged, got an error then it ticked two nodes. Deactivated and reactivated and it found the last deposit all without moving. I had been around the planent by then.

The new mission Uncertain outcomes has a few minor issues so far (just started it).
    First, the pda log for the first part doesnt show anything
    It refers you to the orbital trading station, but actual marker is for planetary one (and planetary one has the relevant room)
    Dialogue with computer- "spionage" should be "espionage"

6. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

They should probably change the terminology for the PDA mission prompt from "Mission will be activated by game" to "Mission will be activated by location", so players clearly understand that it's triggered by being somewhere and not just that the game will activate the mission because it feels like it.

7. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Well the problem is that PDA missions can now be activated by tons of different things, so it won't always be location. It could be picking up an item, speaking to a NPC, or even killing a certain enemy, etc.
    The mission description itself should say how it will be activated.

8. Pach

Pach Captain

I'll pay more attention when I do it, but I was under the impression this was another ship in the fleet, and IDA identified it from data it had collected... naturally, all the ships in the fleet would be in a list somewhere that IDA has... so it's not unreasonable that it would know the name, if it gets something to link it to the unique characteristics of that ship (e.g. it's a transport ship, and there was only one in the fleet, etc.)

Germanicus likes this.
  9. FionnMacCumhaill

In the past, when it was auto-activated it made sense for all the reasons you have said. I mean I can F1 and see the mission summary which tells me information I shouldnt know like the name of the ship. The mission summary should be something like "IDA is detecting other weak signals on this planet, but they are to weak to connect to, perhaps as we scout the planet we can get a stronger lock"

10. FionnMacCumhaill

Some text errors in the titan mission:
    IDA says exited instead of excited

Disinformation is also misspelt as desinformation (see attached)

Attached Files:

11. FionnMacCumhaill

Also found a bug with armour lockers- when you destroy them they still exist on the structure with 10% health. They cannot be seen or accessed with the F but can be accessed and used via P menu.

Pach likes this.
  12. Coreador

Coreador Commander

I've also noticed the wildlife cam bug. Seems like pretty much every time I do the mission.

13. Hector G

Hector G Commander

Actually I do think the new "triggered by story" thing is causing confusion and probably needs to be addressed before pushing out of experimental. Someone had exact same issue on Steam and I was curious. I had already moved onto Tales from the Past immediately after Human Remains but decided to deactivate right before "talk to the Chief" step. This will likely cause a lot of confusion because it goes back to 'mission trigger by story' with seemingly no way to reactivate.
    I thought if I got to village it would reactivate. Nope. Okay maybe talking to Chief? Nope Chief has nothing to say. Maybe because I am neutral? Hmm. I decided to exit game and come back in and it immediately IDA prompts me to talk to Chief. For testing sake I decline. Back to 'mission triggered by story' at "talk to the Chief" step and I am with the Chief. Exit/re-enter game. Yep IDA prompts me again.
    I decline again and this time I give myself Honored status. Mission did not trigger however now I have option to activate the mission on PDA again.
    Aye aye aye this is crazy. In any case I know questing is a work in progress especially with the new systems in place but at some point I really think we need just traditional quest tracker where you track/untrack instead of this activate/reactivate mechanic currently in place.

14. Evolvei

Evolvei Commander

During the initial story text I paused the game, when I came back and unpaused story text was gone, I could not get the text back.