Solution on changing wrong orientation on blueprints

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by Myrmidon, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

For TLDR read PS.

From time to time, many of us, have stumbled upon blueprints found on workshop with wrong orientation. Others, while building their vessel, might have accidentally built them with wrong orientation. The main problem regarding this, is the fact that after warping to another sector, the vessel is facing away from the planets and the player has to turn the ship by hand, to face the planet and fly towards it. In order to check whether or a vessel has correct orientation is to try to spawn in. If while in green box, you see the vessel not facing where the player is facing, then the orientation is wrong. If you spawn it the ship will fly backwards, sideways etc :eek:

I did some research on various ideas some people had, in how orientation could be corrected, at no avail. As things are until now, default ship's orientation can not be altered, by replacing cockpits, cores, nor by the use of any commands, at least those known to the public. The "solution" on rebuilding the whole vessel, was unacceptable by me. I did not want to throw hours of ship building down the sink. On the other hand we are given tools in order to manipulate parts of any vessel. Select, cut and paste, are the tools I use in order to correct/change a CV's orientation. The whole process took me 10 minutes. The walkthrough is shown on my video bellow. ;)

Bear in mind that after doing the trick shown in the video, you are not done yet. You need to inspect the ship and replace the few missing parts and do the paint job on them if needed. Then you have to regroup all the devices, because it seems that my solution brakes device grouping. That means, in case there are sensors, you have to rearrange them too, and set them up again, in order to make them work. :cool:

I hope you will find this trick, useful and relieve the frustration you might have regarding wrong vessel orientation. Happy building. :)

PS Further experimentation revealed that you can select the whole ship and do the process with the same results. Select, cut, paste, rotate, paste and boom, you are done.

Update July 2018: Mr. Spanj made a video describing the process with the whole ship instead.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  2. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator

Moved and stickied!

monktk likes this.
  3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome Lieutenant

couldn't you just use the rotate function on the multi tool to orient the core block the right way around? Not that I've tried it, but that makes the most sense to me.

4. JDaremo Fireheart

JDaremo Fireheart Captain

naw, tried that and it didn't work.
    Best and easiest way I found was to just build a new copy of the ship in creative and save over the buggered one. The reason this is the best way is that you can make changes you didn't want to make before because of how much work it would have been.

5. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

You can also copy and paste the entire ship onto a separate ship starter block in one go, and use the rotate tool to give it the proper orientation. Takes ~30 seconds. :D

Unfortunately you still run into the issue of needing to redo the device groupings, LCD screens, and sensors.

6. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

You forgot to add on those 30 seconds the time needed to draw a selection box around the ship.

7. Caathrok

Caathrok Ensign

OK. I have tried the second way 10 times. it does not work.

Also undid all LCD content and signals. Interestingly did not affect my circuits.

8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Try this:

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Commander

Is this the same thing as ONLY the player being "reversed" when jumping out of a HV/SV cockpit. (but the ship itself is oriented correctly) I have this problem on one HV ship (downloaded from the workshop) and it's really annoying when your jumping out of the cockpit to gather/fight/whatever and your facing 180 degrees out from where you were facing while seated every time!

This is a very nice HV from a well known author. (PM me if you want to know, I don't feel it's appropriate to call them out publicly) but I would like to fix this. (if possible) and privately PM them to make the correction. No harm, no foul. :)