Somebody Asked, So I'll Answer...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IndigoWyrd, Dec 4, 2019.

1. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

The subject came up in a different thread, on a different subject, but the question was raised:

Why put a medical station on an HV that isn't built for combat?

Well, there's a very simple answer:

The HV Medical station is available at a lower level, costs less in materials, and does not even require the HV to be powered on to function.

It does everything the large, higher-leveled, more expensive First Aid station does, perhaps a bit more, costs less and can function without power. Why wouldn't I use it? CPU is really not much of an issue for me, as I'm usually well below my cap, and seldom need more than T2 for most builds.

Anybody else have any nifty little "why would you" items they'd like to share?

2. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

My answer to trollish "why would you" jabs is: "Because I can".

'mic drop

3. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

I use the HV Armor Locker almost exclusively for similar reasons. For a tiny starter HV it's become my #1 'upgrade/must-have' on any temperate planet, no space-suit, start. Light Armor adding a hands-free Light & the Jump ability is such a big deal to me that being able to put one on is the 1st rush item on my too-do list.
    Though to be fair the BA/CV Armor Locker now has a functional On/Off so, if I could rememeber that, there are times I would have gone that route instead. Now if the BA/CV Locker actually had a bunch more Storage, then it would be attractive. But it would need to be able to hold 64+ items, otherwise I'd still have to have a dedicated cargo box just for all the boosters.

Similar but different is a tiny "HV Fridge" for use on a main CV. Since we can't power down a CV and just leave the fridge on, I use an HV that's just a landing pad, core, genie, fuel and fridge. Temp add a cockpit so it docks to the CV. Runs ~45 hours? Just like a powered tail-gate cooler :)

Siege Inc. and stanley bourdon like this.
  4. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

While it's true, you can't fully power down a CV and run just the fridge, you can shut down MOST of the system - Thrusters, majority of devices, and leave just the fridge running and gain a massive boost to your fuel economy... but yeah, the micro-HV for "utility devices" is big plus.

StyleBBQ likes this.
  5. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

please do not neglect the CPU extenders and their nontrivial energy usage and any cargo containers and extensions a large dedicated cargo ship can have a quite high idle usage

StyleBBQ likes this.
  6. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

True, though this is mostly an "early on" methodology, when resources are scarce and every little bit counts. Plus shutting down even just thrusters on a landed CV can greatly reduce fuel consumption, especially on large, dedicated cargo ships, which are bound to have either many or very large thrusters to get them off the ground when loaded.

stanley bourdon and StyleBBQ like this.
  7. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

That's a good point @stanley bourdon . I usually run a custom config so cargo extenders use zero power.

@IndigoWyrd true as well :) Should confess that the "idle" power drains on -lots- of devices/things in EGS just makes me want to pull my hair out! 5 kilowatts per small O2 tank, 30 kilowatts for a _idle_ stove??
    "Poppa said, `Son, you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop driving that hot rod Lincoln`" :p

Other thing with leaving a CV 'running' is that it gets targetted. So when I have a CV parked at a base, unless I'm intentionally adding it's firepower for defense, I prefer it to be 'off'. Big part of that though is that my bases are usually pretty small, so the CVs' butt is hanging outside the turrets 'circle', meaning if an attack comes in from the wrong direction the CV can get hammered by the drones. :)

... think the wording on that last bit is a bit, err.. 'wrong'? :D

8. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

we use our dedicated refrigerator "ship" all the time now (well until I stopped playing because (CPU=not fun) the one we were most recently using also functioned as a looting platform and rescue ship. It had a 3-4 day idle time and was most definitely not specialized but it is the only ship we had that was CPU compliant

StyleBBQ likes this.
  9. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

It's not all that frequent that I actually bring a CV down from orbit. I typically use some manner of SV "dropship" for that, as it generally tends to be safe in orbit. The exception being my Citidel-class CV, which weighing in at 31 million CPU is so non-compliant that's it's simply no longer viable. However, when I did use these, I always had a quick "base" template to drop in for them, which included a central docking area the CV fit into, and was surrounded by a ring of defensive turrets. The "base" template I used consisted of little more than a couple furnaces, a couple deconstructors, a couple of ATM's, living spaces and a repair pad, as well as structures that made exiting the Citidel easy and provided access to the rest of the facility. The actual ship was basically a giant, flying geodesic dome that covered a number of buildings which made up the facilities of the ship. Highly inefficient, ate fuel like it was going out of style, but strangely fun too, and certainly impressive to see take off or land. I was told on a few landing approaches that it eclipsed the sun from the ground. Only ever got to watch one take off, and it looked like a small moon until it disappeared completely.

stanley bourdon and StyleBBQ like this.
  10. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

heh :) largest CV I've ever built & used in-game was barely over Class 1. A 'big' base to me has 6 3x3 grow plot areas, and maybe a small hangar if it's on an ice world, or there's too many critters around.

Here's a pic of my base and landing pad in current playthrough. I extended the l-pad a bit after this pic, but it's a fair representation of my typical base. Turret layout is a wip; the new drone behaviour makes spreading starter turrets out dangerous. Previously I would have had 3 turrets spread out along each side of the enclosed section. Now that's a good way to lose one. When I can afford it I'm thinking of trying 2 or 3 mixed Minigun/Cannons backed up by a Flak turret on each corner.
    Oh, and that base has 1 Advanced Constructor & 1 Deconstructor. 1 fridge & 1 food station. 4 3x3 grow plot areas. 1 old style Ammo Box and 3 old Cargo Boxes. With just that plus the 2 Cannons & 3 Miniguns it's way over T1 CPU; one of the reasons I won't be turning CPU On. :)
    Edit: derr.. 6 Solar Panels & 3 batteries too.

[​IMG]

11. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

For that layout, I'd feel comfortable moving the cannon turrets to where landing pad and building meet.
    Once you have the unlock and the materials, I'd swap the 3 minigun turrets for Rocket Turrets, and reduce to 2.

I find Rocket Turrets typically one-shot drones. Usually when I get a base attack alert it's 3-5 drones and drop ship. By the time I scramble outside, it's down to 2 drones and a damaged drop ship, which I might get a shot or two off at before rockets or cannons bring the dropship down and the last drone goes up in smoke.

I also tend to use the Retractable turrets over the non-retractable. They look cool deploying, and I often set a P-panel Signal called "Base Defense" that is tied to the turrets, a spare generator (usually just a small generator) and a shield generator (though X for shields makes this unnecessary).

My "normal" base design also uses solar - usually 10-15 panels, 2 batteries, a stand-by generator, Advanced Constructor, Fridge, Stove, 2 Container Controllers, an Ammo Container Controller, and a Container (box). I bind the AC to the 2 CC's (one labeled "Raw Material" one labeled "Finished Goods"), the Stove gets bound to the fridge, and the extra cargo box gets used to store extra fuel until much later when I can build a Deconstructor, and that spare CC gets labeled "Recycling", which gets bound to the Deconstructor, along with my "Raw Materials" CC.

The Ammo CC and its extensions (usually 2), I either make as a small exterior structure a short distance from the base itself, or use as part of the flooring, often under an interior wall.

The base Core is usually located in the very center of the base, in the floor, mostly in the ground, and usually winds up with my T2 Core Extender on top of it. For bases in particularly hostile areas I'l drill a hole straight down about 10 blocks deep, make room for a 3x3x3 construct and bury the core that way, in the middle of those blocks, then fill the hole with the Terrain Filler on my drill, and build my base on top of it. Sometimes I'll leave an armored door to access the dirt and hole, if I need somewhere to bury an Extender, other times, I'll bury them in their own holes elsewhere around the base.

StyleBBQ likes this.
  12. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

Good to know about the Rocket turrets, I've only used them a couple times before & had been wondering how good they were now.
    I have found the Flak turrets to work quite well against drones recently; they weren't nearly as good in the past. Flaks are(were?) also only 1300 CPU so, by far, the best bang for the CPU buck.
    Atm I've only got ~50 magnesium from an alien loot box and hadn't intended to be on the starter world this long, so may not deploy any Flak/Rocket turrets here.

My 'normal' cargo space config is an old style Ammo Box (usually run a custom config and bump it's HPs to 400), 1 CC with 40~48,000SU for Constructor (both in & out) and 2 old 1000HP cargo boxes. 1 is for all the 'junk' like suits & boosters, sprouts, that kind of thing. Other is tied to a Deconstructor when I have one. Everything is recessed into the floor, Constructor is upside down so can walk across it and it doesn't obstruct sightlines. Deconstructor is right side up but has walkway on top of 3 of the 4 spaces with a railing around forth. I still really prefer to be able to point at a device and use F to access it directly, rather than via F4.

Agree about turrets location. Came from where I placed the pre-fabbed base, and how this playthrough was supposed to evolve, heh. :)

Base prefab had two miniguns and an interior space of just 3x3 by 1 tall. Playthrough was supposed to be a 'speed run' to get that carrier CV.
    It's also powered by a genie, forgot to mention that earlier, as I hadn't intended to stick around long.

Hadn't intended to ever expand that base other than, maybe, another couple turrets. But Murphy was havin none of that so game devolved into a mostly normal playthrough. So when I went to build a garden the ground slope dictated the direction; I always try to have any CV landing pads lower so the CV itself doesn't block turrets line of sight.