Speaking of the Color and Texture Tool...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Miznit, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Miznit

Miznit Lieutenant

I was curious, and can't seem ti find the info. Can you change the color of the text/symbols in the Color and Texture tool? I'd like to have red letters on a white background, but all I can get is white letters. If I have missed something, tell me. If that's just the way it is, fine, I'll change ideas.

CHEERS!

2. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

I believe the answer will be NO.
    The limits of Textures is reached in what you have. And turning around the Coloring 'System' might be impossible...:rolleyes:

Miznit likes this.
  3. Miznit

Miznit Lieutenant

Ok. Cool, I guess? I can work with that. It just won't be as "clean" looking as I had hoped. Thanks!

4. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

You can use LCD protectors.

Miznit likes this.
  5. Miznit

Miznit Lieutenant

GAAAAAHAHHHH! Would you believe me if I told you that I had completely forgotten about those? I spent so much time last night trying to wiggle things just right, then threw my hands up and said "good enough, it's late"....and that would have solved it so quickly.

CHEERS!

EDIT: Wait....where I have the marking now is on a sloped block. Can LCD projectors do that, or would I need to make sure it's on a vertical surface? Either is fine.

Germanicus and ravien_ff like this.
  6. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Yes it can do it on a 45 degree slope, though you'll have to play with the offsets to get it right.

Miznit likes this.
  7. Miznit

Miznit Lieutenant

Cool. Time to fire up creative to start playing with it, then. (I haven't done much with LCDs since right after I got the game. Played with them, and then forgot what I was going to do with them. Time to start looking at some examples.) Thanks again ravien_ff. You seem to be bailing me out somewhat regularly :D

ravien_ff likes this.
  8. Miznit

Miznit Lieutenant

Well, I did my tests. I liked what I could do with the LCDs. The only problem I came up with, that I don't think I can get around (unless I'm missing something) is the SIZE of lettering. I need the letters to be alot bigger, but couldn't get them to be the right size (for the specific application at hand. For most others, it's perfect!). I'm going to look into some stuff, and then I'll let you know what I'm doing, if ya wanna know. Thanks for the information and assistance, even though I can't use it THIS TIME. But I do have a bit of a bug about LCDs now.

CHEERS!

9. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

You can use text formatting codes. There's a help button in the text editor in-game or most of the codes at this link will work:
    http://digitalnativestudios.com/textmeshpro/docs/rich-text/

So if you want bigger letters you can do for example:
    <size=250>A</size>

You may need to use multiple projectors, depending on the size of your letters and how many you need to use. A projector can be up to 5x5 blocks in size, so pretty big letters are possible.

Miznit likes this.
  10. Miznit

Miznit Lieutenant

OHHH! <How do you write a drawn out OH?> I had considered multiple projectors. I had set up my test with several. I looked at the help part under the "?" button and seen the text formatting stuff. I KNOW about the text formatting. I feel dumb right now. I really need to do this during the day when I'm fully awake, and not when I'm getting sleepy. And this stuff is why I said that you seem to be bailing me out alot :D Thanks so much, AGAIN.

CHEERS!

ravien_ff and Germanicus like this.
  11. Miznit

Miznit Lieutenant

Okay, I have done it. All by myself. Without ANY help......except for all the stuff you guys have told me. I'm going to try to show what I was doing. I'd show ya, but how do I add a picture?

When I was in 5th grade, back in 1978, Battlestar Galactica came on the air (Now generally called Galactica 78). I loved that show. Recently, I found a CV of the Galactica (IDI-Galactica Empyrion v1.0, by Isaak Dark, based on a design by Daws) and messed around with it. I noticed that it didn't have the marking I remembered from the show all those years ago. I wanted to replicate that, as best I could. I remembered it being red, but after looking it up, I found that the name was in black, but there were red markings on other parts. But the lettering had to be pretty big. I did my tests, came here and complained, got direction, failed again, got MORE direction, and so on, until finally I got it right. Yeah, the lettering is still red (I like it better), and it isn't PERFECT, but it is so close that I really like it. I'm not going to upload it to Steam, as I really didn't change it enough to do so, but I'm proud of what I accomplished. Will I use it in game? Not for a VERY long time, cause it's expensive---and needs an advanced core. Since I only play SP, I could just cheat it in, but I want it to mean something. And It's too soon to get enough fuel for it :D I even found a SV Viper to use with it. I had to settle for a Viper from the reboot of Battlerstar Galactica, but it's as close as I can get to what I remember.

Now, why this project? Nostalgia. Pure and simple nod to a childhood joy. I mean, I still like the ship. It's overkill for a single player, but it's damn majestic, and brings me joy. It also became a quest that I couldn't let go. And a learning experience.

I cannot thank you guys for the friendly help you have given me. So, pat yourselves on the back, have a drink on me, and accept my humblest thanks one more time. Thank you.

CHEERS!