Specialized Seating

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ephoie, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Ephoie

Ephoie Commander

I think the seats need to be specialized.
    You should have seats that require you to have a particular pilot or captain suit to use it, or no armor on just to sit in a passenger seat on deck. Making the seating role specialized will add value and give characters direction and story.

Make Transport ship seats that can hold a passenger with armor on.. etc,
    Make seats specific to gun s and cannons.
    Radar positions and consoles.....

Lets make a reason to take off the damn suit/armor, and add some actual challenge to this game.
    Who's with me?!

2. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

It might be better to handle a lot of this with a keychain system (authorized users only, basically). I'm also not sure being forced to take off armor to interact with devices and consoles is a great way to do things (probably one of the most annoying aspects of Fallout 4 for me).

IronCartographer likes this.
  3. Spirit_OK

Spirit_OK Commander

A player can accumulate chance to get some bad condition if he don't take off his armor and take a shower once in a while. It may start with the charisma drop (higher prices, NPCs running away) and end with a toxic space fungus infestation, then you have to burn down both your armor and your base to get rid of it:D

Back to the topic - I'd like to have seats or consoles directly linked to battlestations, and a simple way to switch places as in a Battlefield. It would make much more sense then click-click-clicking in the Control Panel in the middle of firefight.

Ephoie likes this.
  4. IronCartographer

I think you shouldn't even need a seat.

If/when we can walk on ships (gravity generator->Inertial field/frame generator), what's to stop us from piloting them the way we can remote control drones?

"Patrol vessel dropped in, get us in the air immediately!" from anywhere on the ship. :)

Ephoie and geostar1024 like this.
  5. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Excellent point, though it'd be unfortunate if the ship took a bad hit and sent you flying :p. Seatbelts are always a good idea during "turbulence". . . .

Ephoie and Hicks42 like this.
  6. IronCartographer

The inertial field is all the seatbelt you need. Surely you would have the gravity generator in a relatively safe location for this reason. :D

Ephoie and Hicks42 like this.
  7. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

Boss. Statements along those lines are why Star Trek crew members ROUTINELY DIE during times when being Physically attached TO The Ship by freaking 5 dollars worth of nylon webbing and metal buckles... it really Pisses me off to see Engineering staff, People That REALLY Know Better, getting sucked out a breach that is seconds later CLOSED BY A FORCEFIELD. Well Shoot because we were too DUMB to invest in Basic damage control techniques like MAKE sure the people that are gonna Fix your home in space and keep the Rest of the crew from dying ... From Dying. .....*pant pant pant* /setrant 0.

Anyhow, I think defined stations could be good if there is some value too it. there is currently Not enough Roles for people to Play on a ship really. Currently Pilot, gunner, or passenger. We need more before this subject can have much meaning.

Ephoie likes this.
  8. Ephoie

Ephoie Commander

Fair point, as the drone are "remote"..... IMO, having a pilot is good point of team focus and direction, if you got the players, and community, otherwise, yeah, that is a pain, running to your cockpit to take off cause a drop ship just landed on your head..... then again, it adds the challenge and threat. It would be nice to have a droid as a offline protector of your SV or HV while out scavenging/mining.....

9. Ephoie

Ephoie Commander

I agree that its a pain to take off your armor to just use something. Especially if you are in and out a lot.

My idea isn't so much with current armor class exactly, as it currently is, but more to the idea that if you were in a bulky heavy armor suit, you would not fit into a captains chair with your big'ol armor'd butt.

Maybe there is a Crew suit or uniform, and as you pass through a door or chamber to go out, it suits you up with your armor/suit..... I digress.

Seating with roles or specific rank settings would also be a way to set who can use what.

If consoles, and seats had functions and signal capabilities, it would add extra dynamic, and allow for more intuitive controls. Example: Imagine you set one of the hologram deco objects as a direct link to the sector map.... and a given player could essentially be setting locations on the map while a Pilot maintained course. Or a Console that has specific logics set in it, and when you activate it, it initiates the set program of logics..... I know, i am just rambling now...

Spirit_OK likes this.