Static NPCs as Devices

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by KnowItAllDM, Jun 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. KnowItAllDM

KnowItAllDM Commander

I was thinking about this recently, and I dont see any reason it shouldnt work, but if and when we get an "NPC Crew" update, static NPCs should act similar to devices.

For example, Security guards could work just like sentries, with obvious animation and damage changes, and still having low HP.

Perhaps Pilots could finction as an RCS but to a lesser or greater degree, or enable an "auto-pilot" feature once "walking on moving ships" is enabled.

Engineers could either act as generators, but only if a generator is active (effectively increasing the efficiency of the ships generators) or if we could get device interaction, actually have the engineer increase the output of each attacked generator. Alternatively, they could give the ship a slow HP regeneration, repairing any damaged devices (but not hull).

Some NPC crew could simply reduce the CPU usage of the ship (like they do in Reforged Eden), or have other uses.

A Medic could act as a Medical bay, minus the respawn, maybe removing basic injuries, acting as a bandage or Health Pack, or perhaps act as any nearby "Medical Device" on the ship.

Command crew could reduce the amount of CPU used by a lot, perhaps relating to the total number of NPC crew on board.

2. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Largely agree and have long been an advocate for Crew "objects" to do "things".

Where I have to disagree deals largely with "walking on moving ships" - this is just one of those things I suspect we may never see. I blame Unity for this, as this is just not something I've ever seen done, or even done badly in Unity.

I can, though, see the Crew "pilot" being useful for things like:
    1. Creating an semi-autonomous craft that flies a predetermined "loop", such as departing from a base, flying to a space station or another base, potentially in another system, and back.

2. Creating drone-like fighter craft that can operate independently - flying patrol missions around a base, or deploying from a larger carrier-type CV ("Pilot" Crew do not currently place on HV/SV, but this is easily changed).

There is a great deal of potential here, just waiting to be tapped.

3. KRanKO5

KRanKO5 Lieutenant

Totally agree, those Npcs are screaming for a purpose in life :)

4. Foofaspoon

Foofaspoon Commander

All good ideas, I certainly think this would be a good approach. It would be nice if there was some life to them as well... able to move around and interact with them (however limited) outside of their 'use' would be good. Having to feed and/or pay them would add a new dynamic as well!

KRanKO5 likes this.
  5. Hector G

Hector G Commander

I like how Reforged Eden has NPCs help with CPU. I think this should expanded on and have NPCs with different specialties you can hire that brings CPU down on specific devices instead of total CPU. Engineer makes generators more efficient, etc.
    NPCs can also perhaps provide different kinds of buffs. Maybe having a cook can make food items a bit more efficient, repairmen can repair blocks slowly like a very slow always on repair bay, and more.
    They should not require CPU nor be included in blueprints as part of a ship. Ship should function without them instead having NPCs simply serve as buffs.
    Additionally they should have wages and should be paid periodically so players are encouraged to trade and sell stuff we loot to keep them.

ravien_ff and LoneRanger like this.