Steam store reviews...

Discussion in 'Other Discussion' started by Frigidman, Aug 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Its a shame we can't like, push a movement to get everyone to 'down vote' all those stupid one-liner reviews of "its not no mans sky" or "better than no mans sky".

Seriously don't know how that one USELESS Empyrion review (http://steamcommunity.com/id/itallreturnstonothing/recommended/383120/) has so many up votes. What is wrong with people.

From now on, whenever I see NMS mentioned in a review for any other game, it gets an automatic downvote from me :p

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    XeroTerragoth likes this.
  2. Wild_XIII

Wild_XIII Captain

But bashing NMS is the in thing right now, sort of like bashing COD Infinite Warfare only the game has actually come out.

3. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Well maybe you should just read some of the comments under that review, that review has very likely sold a copy of Empyrion so dont be to upset because its adding players to your playerbase.
    Besides, it could be worse, it would be worded the other way round, imagine how angry that would make you if this makes you angry !

Good goyim 20 Aug @ 11:09pm
    holy ****
    I am now genuinely intrested giving this game a try now
    Thanks m8

4. medicineman

medicineman Captain

Empyrion is one of the very few games I've given a positive review too. Normally I don't bother to review a game unless it makes me mad. But in Empyrion's case it's pretty noteworthy that I have 450 hours logged into an alpha. Damn I need to go outside more.

XeroTerragoth and paca0502 like this.
  5. Natoteorenzo

Natoteorenzo Lieutenant

Well people writes reviews based on their expectation and disappointment of the game , i have a game called God Eater that just released in steam while ago . Same thing , useless negative reviews blaming controller couldn't connect when it was their hardware /PC problem . I dont know what they are thinking seriously , steam reviews are a bad way of rating a product IMO .

6. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

Is there a better way?

7. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

I like the Steam review system, its saved me alot of money, and its also cost me money for games I wouldnt have taken a second look at, so it goes both ways.

No system will ever be perfect.

You can usually tell a troll review over a well written one.

medicineman likes this.
  8. =TCR= Big_Red

=TCR= Big_Red Rear Admiral

Top tier programs used to release free demos. To let you get a hands on. Much better than reviews. Some on Steam give a free weekend which isnt much good. Its a hit or miss because you could miss the free weekends.

9. medicineman

medicineman Captain

The steam reviews are the best thing about game purchasing. I have been ripped off on video games so many times over the years. What with crooked professional reviewers and shills like the jerks at penny arcade it is almost impossible to know what you are buying. And for years it was almost impossible to get a refund because of that lame copying excuse.

What I do personally is read some of the bad reviews first and see what people are complaining about. If it's stuff like, "my controller won't work," or "game runs slowly" then I match it against the positive reviews. It's not really hard to balance the reviews against each other to get a good picture of what the game is really like. It just takes some time. The steam reviews are the only chance gamers even have how a days to buy a decent game.

10. medicineman

medicineman Captain

I don't really agree. With a demo a game developer can show you whatever they want of the game. They can easily bait and switch. You can't fool the reviews so easily.

XeroTerragoth and Slam Jones like this.
  11. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

I'm sure in my younger days, countless numbers of demos I played never even became full games. But nonetheless, I was always happy to try em out. As it was, though, they didn't have as much content to polish for the demos... I imagine a lot of demos has almost no content past what was shown in the demo.

A Free Weekend, as pointed out above, means they can't really hide anything (unless it is simply too far into the game for someone with only a weekend worth of play time to get to). You can access the full game and really test the limits of what the engine can do. That is, as much as one can in a weekend of play.

medicineman likes this.
  12. medicineman

medicineman Captain

Oh yeah that free weekend thing will get it's hooks into you. That is what got me into Empyrion. I had bought the game before the free weekend was even up.

Slam Jones likes this.
  13. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Hmm, wow... reviews for EGS dropped from 84% positive to 54% over the course of an hour: https://steamdb.info/app/383120/graphs/

Seems steam changed their review system again, and are now filtering out legit buys who didnt buy the game directly from steam. Basically a big middle-finger to anyone buying games at a discount from many other legit sources.

And in their change, it broken the steamdb website on how it reports ratings now too. Ouch.

=TCR= Big_Red likes this.
  14. medicineman

medicineman Captain

I still see it as 84% overall and 87% recent. That is the review summary I see on steam when I look at the store page in the client.

Basically Very Positive, Very Positive.

15. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

@Frigidman - Which is exactly why I usually do not trust 3rd party sites.

Your site shows 54%, but Steam shows 4,394 Positive, and 788 Negative reviews, which, by my calculations, is 85% Positive.

16. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Well, steamdb has acknowledged now that steam broke what they were using to pull data. So they are working on it. But steam also pulled a dirty move now by no longer factoring in 'key claim purchases' as valid reviews for the scores.

So I'm done with steam reviews for good... they are clearly all junk, and now with the changes, where the blacklist legit buyers from other stores... well, screw em. I'm going to now make sure every game I buy will be from another store, so steam no longer gets another dime from me personally ;) So many other legit stores sell steam-key games for less anyhow. Just have to watch for them.

17. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

I̶n̶t̶e̶r̶e̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶S̶t̶e̶a̶m̶ ̶p̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶5̶,̶1̶8̶2̶ ̶R̶e̶v̶i̶e̶w̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶t̶a̶l̶.̶ ̶ ̶5̶,̶1̶2̶4̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶S̶t̶e̶a̶m̶ ̶P̶u̶r̶c̶h̶a̶s̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶5̶8̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶K̶e̶y̶ ̶A̶c̶t̶i̶v̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶(̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶'̶k̶e̶y̶ ̶c̶l̶a̶i̶m̶ ̶p̶u̶r̶c̶h̶a̶s̶e̶s̶'̶?̶)̶ ̶ ̶S̶o̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶v̶e̶n̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶r̶e̶v̶i̶e̶w̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶n̶e̶r̶?̶ ̶ ̶O̶r̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶i̶t̶e̶?̶

(Never mind, I just read the Steam post about it)

As for not trusting Steam, well, to each their own. Personally I love Steam, but far be it from me to try to tell you how you should feel.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  18. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Hmm, it looks like they were trying to deal with developers who were giving out keys in order to purchase good reviews.

I can't think of a good solution off the top of my head. Any ideas how to deal with the unscrupulous purchase of reviews?

19. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Not really, other than deal with the developer on a case by case basis when 'caught doing it'. There is no blanket band aide to stop them, especially not the way steam went about it.

Actual buyers will drown out any paid reviews, unless the devs are paying for reviews more than actual buyers, which would kind of painful to justify in a business model.

I had mentioned in a thread on steam, that trying to compare external purchases vs internal, on reviews... is not going to work. If steam saw that external buyers were generally 'reviewing more positively' than internal buyers and thinking "it must be devs!!!! WEH WEH!"... they really need to take into account that someone who plays a game for less than full price, is going to generally be more forgiving of it and may give it a thumbs up with a note of 'its worth it, but only on sale'. And clearly (evidenced by NMS), if someone pays full price, they are more likely to dish out a scathing review if the game didn't own up to 100% expectations for that price paid.

The real issue here, is steam has been doing seriously suckball sales lately, and people are moving to the other stores to find their steam keys. "Isthereanydeal.com" is a #1 referral agent for all our stores, and it even has a steam plugin that overlays the best EXTERNAL deals while browsing the steampowered.com store itself! So why wouldn't people be looking for deals and buying externally?

I think steam are just upset by all the people buying from other sources nowadays... and the review bias, is just the start of more increased reductions of features for people who did not pay steam directly. I guess rightfully so, but they made their bed by allowing external key sales... now they gotta sleep in it.

20. Malekh

Malekh Captain

I can't speak for external websites, but pulling up the steam page in steam directly i see very positive, very positive in the summaries, with one negative review on the first page that contains maybe 1 sentence worth of words in it. I'm not sure what the problem is here with 'bad' reviews - one liner reviews (or more appropriately one liner review) generally are worth almost nothing either way. Its the indepth, detailed 'bad' reviews that i would be worried about, not the throwaway "look ma i made a comment on the internet" ones. Myself, i'm more concerned that the game is getting a hype echo-chamber effect that could end in a no man's sky bubble when its eventually released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.