Known Issue Strange shader behavior with glass in A12.3?

Discussion in 'Known Issues' started by RedScourge, Jul 24, 2020.

1. RedScourge

RedScourge Commander

I encountered strange graphical glitch with 1x2 glass panes when looking through multiple layers of glass. I believe it may be a shader code issue, or perhaps some sort of skybox-like issue similar to the issue that was happening with zoomed rifle scopes looking at moons. This occurs when inside a cockpit encased in 1x2 glass panes then hitting Alt to free look, or looking through multiple layers of glass panes on foot. It's hard to explain, but as I moved the cursor to change my view, it appeared that half of the block was dark and half was not.

Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/wjBJ6MQ

Occurred while in a new creative mode game with A12.3 and default settings on a known good computer that can play for 10+ hours without crashes.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  2. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

That to me looks like you have glass within glass and one is canceling the other out. Some of the older trading stations have the same effect at least I have seen it before. I also have a couple of all glass poi's I made that do the same thing. Well at least they did haven't built them in awhile. As to what's causing it I don't know. I also only seen it on an angle. Not flat on.

3. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

@RedScourge normally I would say your name doesn't fit your image of Thomas the Tank Engine.
    But seeing as how our kids grew up on him and his friends. He will haunt me until my use by date is up. :eek:

Pach, Germanicus and RedScourge like this.
  4. RedScourge

RedScourge Commander

As I rotate the camera around, the half of the glass piece that is dark and the half that is light appear to spiral around the midpoint. If it was glass within glass it would would not rotate clockwise or counterclockwise as I move the camera. I only observed this with the 1x2 glass pieces however. The 1x1 pieces I was testing with on the left side of the pictures do not have this behavior at any angle that I can see.

5. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Well I must say I never really tried testing what the cause was. What happens if you flip the tint around? I'm not even sure how you would send in a bug report on this one.

6. RedScourge

RedScourge Commander

Confirmed, if I flip the tint the same thing still occurs in any exterior cockpit I have tried . Does not happen with any of the 1x1 glass panes that I tried no matter which cockpit I use.

7. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

I would say put together a bug report so it's at least on record.