Stutter happening about every 2 seconds

Discussion in 'Archive (Read Only)' started by Patrick Stower, Apr 5, 2024.

1. Patrick Stower

Patrick Stower Ensign

For more information see here Bug Report Template

Build: 1.11.5 4470
    Mode: Creative and Survival - Single player and Dedicated Server

SERVER NAME: Les Rescapes and HWS
    SEED-ID: 470421

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS:

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Major

Type: Global

Summary: I am getting a very noticeable stutter when playing the game, which occurs about every 2 seconds.

Description: This stutter happens in any game mode. It started when I came back from an approximate 2 week break from the game. I came back from the break on 01/04/2024. I have taken a short video of the phenomenon if needed.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Load or start a game
    2) When the game loads I test by panning round
    3) The stutter is most noticeable when panning and makes combat in any form extremely difficult.

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:

2. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    Hello,
    I get no stutter when doing these steps.
    In order for us to be able to do anything we must be able to trigger the described issue on our machines also in a debugging environment to analyze what is happening & where it is coming from.

Can you supply:
    - A dxdiag

- A screenshot of your video options (you will need to take 2 screenshots in the options > video menu to capture all settings)

- A copy of the save game with your character left standing in the location where it happens for you ?
    How to supply a save game for a report:
    Go to:
    For SP or Co-op:
    Right click on "Empyrion" in your steam library > Properties > Local files > Browse > Saves > Games
    or: SteamLibrary\steamapps\Common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Saves\Games

For MP:
    Right click on "Empyrion - Dedicated Server" in your steam library > Properties > Local files > Browse > Saves > Games
    or: SteamLibrary\steamapps\Common\Empyrion - Dedicated Server\Saves\Games
    1. Right click on the save folder & place your mouse cursor over 'Send to' create a compressed copy of it (or use winzip or 7zip)
    2. Use a file hosting site like mediafire, dropbox or google drive & add a share link to it
    3. If you are sending us the info via an email please add a share link to the file or files you have uploaded & some details such as a link to your report

- Can you say if you are running the game from a HDD or SSD ?

- Can you say what power supply the PC uses ? (wattage & brand/model name pls)

- Can you try with another power supply in your PC that you know works well without any known issues ? I ask because 1 player recently found out they had an issue with their PSU & replacing it made their issue go away.

====

Troubleshooting guide is here with some general tips https://empyriononline.com/threads/troubleshooting-guide.98133/

3. Patrick Stower

Patrick Stower Ensign

Hello @Pantera

Thank you for your reply.

I have attached the dxdiag file and the save game zip file. Also here are the video options screenshots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am running the game on a 1Tb M.2 SSD and my power supply is a GameMax 800W Rampage.

Unfortunately, I do not have a spare PSU to try out your suggestion of changing it out. I do, however, have an old rig that may give me an idea about what is going on - back in the day (2017) it used to run Empyrion reasonably well. Whether it still will I don't yet know.

I do know that my present desktop has no known issues with playing other games, such as Halo Infinite, The Front, Palworld and Valheim. Having said that I am open to the possibility that my desktop is the source of the problem, but I am unable to spot the fault if there is one.

In the meantime I will hunt out the old computer and give Empyrion a go on that.

Thank you for your help so far, and I look forward to hearing from you with any further diagnosis.

Attached Files:

4. treker_ed

treker_ed Ensign

What is your GPU/CPU - I appreciate it's probably in the DXdiag, but unable to see that info!

One thing I notice is that you have DLSS switched on. When it was introduced in EGS, it was advised that it was only for 2k and above displays, and not for 1920x1080 or below.

"Changes:
    - Updated Unity to 2022.3.8f1
    - Added video options for AMD FSR2 and NVIDIA DLSS2
    We have added support for AMD's FSR2 and NVIDIA's DLSS2 to our game, which can be found at the bottom of the video options in the options menu. These technologies work by using different methods to upscale lower resolution frames to higher resolution ones, while preserving and enhancing the details and sharpness of the original image. They can help you improve your performance and graphics quality, depending on your hardware, resolution, and scene complexity.
    We recommend using FSR2 or DLSS2 only with 4K or 2K resolutions, as these are the optimal settings for these technologies. Using FSR2 or DLSS2 with lower resolutions (for example 1080p & below) may result in blurry or pixelated images, as the upscaling process may not have enough information to work with. If you are using a lower resolution monitor or device, you may want to keep FSR2 or DLSS2 disabled and use the native resolution of your screen.
    Please note that FSR2 and DLSS2 have some limitations and trade-offs & DLSS2 only works on Nvidia RTX GPUs."

(The bold and underline is my emphasis)

Have you tried with DLSS off?

I'm running pretty much with the same graphics options except:- full character texture resolution, 200 max FPS, Anisotropic Filtering on, Bloom on, and DLSS/FSR off, and don't get any stuttering (only when there is a lot going on do I get any performance issues - i.e. lots of ships in combat at the same time when taking on one of the home-worlds)
    I have an AMD Ryzen 5 7600x, RTX3070, 32gb RAM (DDR5), with EGS running off 1tb SSD .

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
  5. Patrick Stower

Patrick Stower Ensign

Hi @treker_ed

I have an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, RTX 3060 with 12Gb GDDR6, 32Gb RAM (DDR4) with EGS running off 1TB M.2-2280 NVMe PCIe SSD

The game was running fine up until a couple of weeks ago when I took a little break to play Halo Infinite (PC Version) and a bit of Valheim. When I came back to EGS early this week the stutter had started.

I haven't tried the game with DLSS off since I switched it on a couple of months ago... I gave it a go and there is no improvement.

Thank you for your suggestion - much appreciated

6. treker_ed

treker_ed Ensign

Another possible culprit is Windows itself! It does seem to have a habit of installing stuff in the background that can cause problems. I've removed a lot of the stuff that is pre-installed, and a lot of the standard apps that I don't use, also making sure nothing is running in the background. Edge/chrome have nasty habits of installing silent updates, and then staying active in the background using up system resources and memory (as an example). It's always possible that a recent update in windows could be causing the problem?

7. Patrick Stower

Patrick Stower Ensign

Hi @treker_ed

Thanks for the suggestion. I've looked into this and removed several unnecessary apps, but it has made no noticeable difference. I am coming to the conclusion that I may have to do a complete reinstall of Windows and start from scratch. However, I want to leave this as a very last resort, because it will take a considerable amount of time to get my machine back to its present configuration.

Thanks again for your input.

8. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

Short of an OS refresh (which may or may not address the issue) you may want to consider disabling anything started by default- type "start" in the search box in lower left to find "Startup Apps" to get to this list. If turning off everything makes the issue go away you can turn things back on one by one to find the culprit. In a similar vein, your video settings imply really pretty (read: "expensive") rendering .. try a small window using the video "Quality Preset" of fast .. if this fixes the glitch then turn the individual settings back up one by one starting with the resolution. Might not help, but worth trying before a full rebuild.

9. Patrick Stower

Patrick Stower Ensign

Hi @imlarry425

I've given these a go, but not quite as far as you suggest. I will give your more in-depth ideas a go tomorrow.

It's worth a reminder that everything was fine 2 weeks ago, and I have not changed the computer since then, and all my other games are still working fine. I do agree that something must have changed, but pinning it down has become a major headache.

Thank you for your ideas.

imlarry425 likes this.
  10. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Someone mentioned the same issue and they said disabling EAC fixed it.
    Worth a try if you haven't tried already and don't play on a EAC enabled server.

11. Patrick Stower

Patrick Stower Ensign

Hi Everyone

Thank you all for your suggestions, and yes I have pinned the problem down.

I disabled all the apps etc from the Windows Startup list as suggested by @imlarry425 . This fixed the problem with the Empyrion stutter, so I knew I was getting somewhere. I then enabled them one by one until I found the culprit app - thankfully it was only one app in the end. Unfortunately, the app is my password manager, which updated about a week ago. There must be something in the code of either the manager or EGS mixed together that is causing the video stutter in EGS. I can live with turning off my password manager when playing EGS.

@Pantera , thank you for your help. The bug is most likely a case of an incompatibility between two disparate pieces of software in some way or other. As long as I don't run both at the same time everything is ok.

Again, thanks to everyone for your help in leading me to a solution. After 14,500 hours of playing EGS I did not want to abandon the game I still enjoy.

treker_ed likes this.