[Suggestion] Solar Re-Think

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MozoTyce, Jul 30, 2020.

1. MozoTyce

MozoTyce Lieutenant

I'd like to suggest a re-think on solar power.
    It occurs to me that a lot has changed in the game mechanics since the solar power devices were first introduced. Understandably the calculations necessary for 'produced power depending on alignment' are complex however i think you've nailed this for static (base) solar panels.

I suggest coding a system similar to the cargo controller extensions as follows:
    Configure the Capacitor (which really should be renamed as a battery !) to be a generator whose 'fuel' is supplied by the output of the solar panels and the main generators (at a regulated rate). That output is calculated using the same kind of formula as the cargo extensions ie adding more gives more fuel/minute until the tank (battery) is full.

Whilst this sounds similar to the existing setup, the big difference is that it should translate to mobile vehicles. Thus placing solar panels on a cv/sv/hv would work in the same way as the current container extensions:- more = more etc.

As for calculating the alignment and hence the generated fuel for the 'battery' you should make it so that the panels only deploy (ie 'unfold' similar to the current retractable turrets) when the vehicle landing gear is deployed. This does not necessarily mean 'docked', for example a cv/sv 'landed' on an asteroid or a hv set to rest on a planet or moon.
    In fact it should explicitly not activate if the vehicle is docked however docking a vehicle with a capacitor (battery) on board should in itself charge from the 'object' it is docked to at a rate dependent on the number of landing gear connections established (and assuming the 'mother' object is powered).

This would breed new life into an otherwise fairly obsolete part of Empyrion, allowing vehicles to gain a small amount of emergency 'fuel' and opening up avenues for deployable 'pods' such as gardens, teleporters or small refining stations etc.

The current relationship between a capacitor and a generator on a base would also be quite sufficient on a vehicle, as long as the capacitor (please call it a battery !) has power the generators do not use fuel, on a vehicle this would soon deplete in the same way as a current large base does so you already have most of the required coding work done.

Ambaire likes this.
  2. Ambaire

Ambaire Captain

You mean that's not how it works already? o_O

3. MozoTyce

MozoTyce Lieutenant

@Ambaire Almost, you missed the bold and in the sentence "and the main generators..."