Feedback Required Suggestions for new THIN block shapes

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Hummel-o-War, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    This is not a topic for the actual Alpha 9, but as we might come to increasing the availability of SHAPES, i would like invite anyone to propose MISSING shapes for the THIN BUILDING BLOCKs, what means
    - Edges
    - Transitions
    - Corners
    that are based on the "thin blocks", which means similar to the lines 5-8 - not the "full blocks",

REQUIRED: a wireframe draft of your suggestion!

Shapes-Container.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  2. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Example for providing a wireframe:
    Container-Shapes-Additional_A.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Andreykl likes this.
  3. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
  4. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

Can't make drawings & pics right now - BUT - with all new 'wireless automatic' stuff add couple of fake pipes & connector type blocks, so that people could make more complex (and visually impressive) installation!

For example we have now 'half-size' pipes set and it is missing pipe intersection! This half-blocks are placed in the middle of full block, and they are super useful for making fake physical connections between devices & sections - so it would be GREAT to have same thing with half-size 'rectangle' type conduits (straight part, 3 & 4 pipe connector, arc connector).

Another set should be multi-pipe conduit set based on current half-block '8-pipe cylinder fence' - make it with 6-pipes (just remove outer 2 for more in-space 3D look & visual depth) and with some arc-connectors, and place them also in middle of full block!

Basically they are not missing-blocks but more of a decco and quality of life & design type of things :D

As I said, can't make my illustrations now so here are few from internet - and they are showing exactly what I want, I hope it is ok :rolleyes:

1 - missing cross-type intersection

!_missing cross.jpg

2 - square/rectangle conduit version (visualisation)

!_square pipes.jpg

3 - multi-pipe conduits based on current 'cylinder fence' half-block (visualisation)

!_multi-pipes.jpg

5. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

First of all the grouping/order ought to be set up different.
    In general centered versions of some blocks (in the middle):
    5F, 5E-H, 6I, 7B-C, 8A, 8E-G. 7A versions of different centered connectors and transitions (L T + and so on).
    Doors should have centered versions too.
    4H: Wedge blocks of several types, both sharp and rounded edge versions. Then can create more wing shaped builds.

daddychillin and Spirit_OK like this.
  6. RedBaron97

RedBaron97 Commander

I would love to see more block forms that would allow me to build a nice wooden fort. Because thats usually the first thig I do in a singleplayer XD. For example I would like to see a half block variant of the pipes (8E). And maybe some blocks that are a bit smaller than the half wall (7B), so you can use then as cover to shot from. The current is just bit tk large for that purpose.

7. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

Apologies for not splitting this properly into thin and full.. But I was unable to really determine which would be actual thin and actual full, as most is partly both.
    For the round ones, (<><><><><>), there may need to be made specific ones depending on rotation, as | and - would be different.
    These are the 57 shapes that came to mind the first, based on what I've been needing when building recently.
    A few of the images contains two shapes, as it was too difficult to split seperately.

In addition to the submitted, there's *A LOT* of blocks in relation to gradual round shapes (basically all the solid ones could use a circular counterpart). Additionally, it is not touching much on the topic of circular to solid. Here there is also a lot of shapes needed.
    I consider both of these low-priority however, and circular wireframes are close to impossible to do, without just doing the shapes as a render in the first place ;)

https://imgur.com/a/L6ZUDyQ

Edit1: 7 more I initially forgot: https://imgur.com/a/8X0DBPs
    (There's additionally a lot of shapes possible with half-thin, combined with roofing)
    Edit2: 15 more added to above

(Also posted to other thread for reference (https://empyriononline.com/threads/suggestions-for-new-full-block-shapes.46691/#post-283110))

Note: Most of the thin ones are also *very* applicable for the truss blocks, and the railings aswell as forcefields

A sidenote: I would highly recommend reworking the blocks like these to be exactly 1/4th of the full block height
    https://i.imgur.com/nlkPXZL.png

Additionally: Please make sure all new blocks have unique faces when it comes to coloring & texturing. And that they rotate/mirror properly.

An additional suggestion: Consider having all the blocks be under the same 'full block', but be split into categories (as with SV/HV/...), but where it is their height/type that splits them (for instance 1/4th, round, or 1/2th solid, or 1/2th slope )

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    ion_storm, Sofianinho and Luzillus like this.
  8. Ravis

Ravis Commander

8cc_2018-12-10_22-24-42.png This with the variations, triangles, (cough glass cough) on one block would be nice.

Spirit_OK likes this.
  9. Andreykl

Andreykl Commander

No idea why C5 is so thick.
    upload_2018-12-17_20-13-57.png

10. The Undead Watcher

The Undead Watcher Lieutenant

I have a suggestions for the Thin Block Parts. The B1 in the Shape chart(in the OP Post) but for the Thin part, as seen in the following Pic:
    Creativ Foundry_2018-12-21_16-48-31.png
    An Example/Use for this here:
    Creativ Foundry_2018-12-21_16-48-45.png

Exacute likes this.
  11. The Undead Watcher

The Undead Watcher Lieutenant

Got another one: Windows, the 1x2 Slope in 1x1 but with the same angle.
    Would fit the B2 Shape perfectly
    Example:
    Creativ Foundry_2018-12-22_16-01-51.png

12. Zyrax

Zyrax Lieutenant

I dont clearly understand what you mean by “not real blocks”, so excuse me for possibly being wrong by posting this here.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Szaone, Fossil, Atola and 1 other person like this.
  13. Atola

Atola Commander

The biggest missing thins are the ones you posted in your example (A and B) :)
    The shape that should NOT be a thin (but is) is also in your example D twice. That block is very useful as a full sized block next to other full sized blocks.. . Even with other thin blocks it is so thick it serves the look and feel of a beam/large block... but doesn't have the strength of one. I also don't think your example D should be added as a thin block for much the same reason.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  14. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Hummels image was in reference to "Example of Providing a Wireframe". Those actual blocks in that example are not part of the meaning.

15. Atola

Atola Commander

Since he so conveniently provided them why not use them? And we do need all the new shapes his example. Including the shape in example D (I can't tell you how many times I wanted it) I just don't think it should be a thin block.

Attached Files:

16. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

There is a thread for full block shapes, and those shown in his are already covered, so no worries. Lets keep this thread about "THIN block shapes". Which we are lacking many of.

17. Atola

Atola Commander

By starting two threads - one for full and the other for thin blocks- the discussion of which a block should be IS part of the discussion. Even if its just making a choice of which thread to put your new requested shape. For instance the poorly drawn "beam" included in my last post (an accident that i can't seem to delete) someone included on the FULL thread (much better job of drawing it there) and so I decided not to post it here (But then i did accidentally because it got saved for 24 hours as an unposted reply...). But IF that shape is included in the game should it be FULL or THIN? That one to me is a toss up. The ones in example D should both be full - but one is already in the game as a thin block.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  18. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Hummel started the threads, I'm just trying to adhere to what he wanted, and all this back and forth is not constructive to the thread either so I suspect a cleaning will be in order.

19. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

A hollow 4 sided frame, made of thin plates and half blocks like 4-time B7 - no drawing at hand.

A hollow circle in one piece like a drilled out version of A3 but a half height block again.
    Rohr.jpg

20. [Ghetto]Two Shoe$

[Ghetto]Two Shoe$ Commander

This weight to volume to HP ratio with thin vs full is a nice subtle touch, Hummel. Its also nice for performance reasons
    on an SV or HV where every little bit counts against your agility is rotation and acceleration, and it reflects well against
    realworld durability of materials. Where something is obviously paper thin and behaving with much less in HP as it should.

I made you a small HV model you can pick up off my BP list called HV scout specifically for you regarding this topic and to help
    show how the new upgraded 1x3x2 HV thrusters are behaving.

Please feel free to have a look.

You will notice that I had to bury the HV detector behind thin walls, and I did my best to illustrate in the tail section the
    advantages of maintaining some cosmetic appeal with the use of carbon blocks, but if you change the blocks to steel, even with as light as HV steel blocks are, it drastically alters the performance of HV. As well as the ballance.

Enjoy good sir, and keep kicking butt!

*EDIT*
    *whoops* Duhrr.. disregard

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019