Not a bug Sun sectors can provide incorrect power generation from solar panels (~10% efficiency)

Discussion in 'Archive (Read Only)' started by Garaman, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Garaman

Garaman Captain

Build: 3279
    Mode: Survival
    Mode: Single Player/Multi Player

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Minor

Type: Power (solar panels)

Summary: Certain sun sectors arbitrarily provide only 10% the expected output from solar panels

Description:
    While warping to new stars on the Anvil RE server I noticed that some sun sectors were providing only 10% of the expected energy generation from solar panels. I restarted EGS and created a new vanilla game to test this, and found that at a given star the solar output can differ by 90% based on which sector you are in, even though they all report the same 0.1 au distance. Planet orbits do not seem to be affected.

Steps to Reproduce:
    Load the attached vanilla survival game. I have set up seven simple BA space stations with 15 panels each, one at each of the sun sectors around the M-class star Ettuttu and one in orbit of the planet Ouray that is 0.5 au from the star. The expected energy output of all bases should be 16.2 kPU, yet the stations at the Sun Front and Sun Back sectors only report 1.62 kPU of power generation.

upload_2021-4-18_1-25-50.png

upload_2021-4-18_1-34-13.png

Attached Files:

Pear78 and ravien_ff like this.