SV Barely Flys

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by CdrCain, Jun 21, 2020.

1. CdrCain

CdrCain Ensign

I was using an SV in Alpha 11 that worked great and now in Alpha 12 it can barely get off the ground, turn, or roll. I am NOT using the CPU points (I have them turned off, same as I did in Alpha 11). I looked through the patch notes and didn't see anything major that would have effected it this much. Could someone explain to me what changes I missed because I have no idea what the best method is to correct this if I don't know what caused it. Thanks in advance.

2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Can you link or attach the blueprint?

3. CdrCain

CdrCain Ensign

Its a modified version of someone else's blueprint that I have been using for several patches, making a new version as changes come in, and it was fine in Alpha 11. I put it up on the workshop for now so you can look at it. I'll take it down later because the base design of it is someone else's work. Again, this is not with CPU points but I have them turned off on my server so that shouldn't be an issue.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2137674063

4. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I'll take a look later if no one else does and see what's going on with it.

5. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

It flies just fine in creative with the no CPU core (to disable CPU system). It turns slow but that's to be expected on a heavy ship made entirely of hardened steel.

It's not designed as a fighter but more as a heavy gunship so it's going to not be very agile unless it's updated.

A lot of the thrusters could be upgraded as well. It's a high tier ship using advanced ores yet it still has a lot of S thrusters that aren't as efficient.
    But even with no changes it flies just fine.

By the way, you are remembering to turn on the thrusters and rcs with the switch in the control panel? Also keep in mind this ship doesn't have much lift thrust to spare, on high gravity planets it might not take off at all.

6. CdrCain

CdrCain Ensign

The RCS switch is on (I installed that part actually). I've tested it both on my server without CPU and in creative. You are right, its supposed to be a gunship more than a fighter but it barely turns at all now and even in 1g its slow getting off the ground using just the thrusters underneath. In Alpha 11 it flew MUCH better. Turned a lot faster and sharper and moved a lot quicker. I even had it on a 3.9g planet and though you had to angle it up a little bit, it could still take off and leave the atmosphere if you burned both the down and rear thrusters at once. I bet in 2g or higher it would never get airborne now at all.

Alpha 12 did something to drastically effect thrust or weight on SVs and I have no idea what they changed. The only thing I see in the change log that might have done it is "Rebalanced most blocks and items: mass, volume, energy and performance factors". It just doesn't say what blocks they changed or what the new masses are. To give you an idea of how different it is now. The model I based this off (Avenger MK2) can't even get off the ground in Alpha 12 on a 1g planet. The only reason my blueprint still flies is because I did an overhaul on it a few patches ago and put more thursters and RCS on it.

Any idea what was changed in Alpha 12 to make this happen? I saw a couple similar posts from people but nothing ever got solved. If you don't know what was changed, what do you think the best way to adjust this ship would be? I tried both adding a few extra RCS and thrusters but still doesn't turn much better. I would love to replace the S thrusters but there isn't room in a lot of places for anything bigger than a 1x1x1 or else I would have swapped them out already honestly. I'm really not sure what to do without having to do another major overhaul and completely redesign it and I really want to avoid that.

7. Caathrok

Caathrok Ensign

ALOT of the blueprints I had off workshop no longer fly: they are now too heavy to take off.

That could be the issue. You could try to decrease weight or increase thrust and see if that fixes it.

8. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

I know your feeling.
    Most of my ships are no longer usable - and I've built them (almost) ALL for High-Gravity (with M/V) in A10 or earlier.

Now, they almost wont lift off, even without cargo :(
    Cant imagine how un-usable everything else must be.

I think they nerved Jet S thrusters and buffed the Jet M/L/XL thrusters.
    Feels like that at least.

9. Deadalready

Deadalready Lieutenant

Ravien is on point with their assessment

Thrusters: thrusters are inefficient and should be upgraded to higher level ones like T2 meds and larges because they give more lift for their cpu usage maybe even more added. Since there is space on the wings, I would move thrusters to the extremities to give more control and maneuverability.

Cockpit: the one space gap looks nice but results in problems when trying to exit, if you're on planet and askew, it'll be impossible exit as you're trapped against the cockpit and wall. As a gunship (performing frontable assault, I would put an armoured cockpit with a shell around it if in the front to double up the protection, a secondary cockpit at the back would be helpful too if you accidentally get shot out of the cockpit (it happens too much...). Would also front load much more armour into the frontal section for protection.

Loadout/equipment: Unfortunately this is a ship that tries to do too much and being punished by A12 systems, it sucks but this is how it is in this stage of alpha. Either scrap it or adapt so players find it usable. I have no idea why you would want 2 passenger seats or the constructor really.

Generator and fuel layout: when they explode, they blow up the things next to them, if it's next to another explosive thing then they too explode...

~

I took the Avenger into creative, ripped out the RCS (19!?!) most of the small thrusters and replaced them with fewer Large and Medium t2 thrusters giving it a massive change in speed and feel, it also came in 10k under the cpu you had before. Have a look and refine the shape as I only just slapped the thrusters on.

Attached Files: