Fixed Vessels sinking into blocks & terrain [7729 - 7809]

Discussion in 'Fixed (Read Only)' started by upsidedownpancake, Dec 18, 2020.

1. upsidedownpancake

upsidedownpancake Ensign

Build: v1.3.1 (Build 3199)
    Mode: Survival
    Mode: Dedicated Server
    Modified Playfields: No
    Reproducibility: Sometimes
    Severity: Major
    Type: Player Vessels
    Summary: SV's, HV's, and CV's not staying where they are left

Description: When exiting a capital vessel, small vessel (seems to usually be undocked), or hover vessel (seems to usually be with undocked) with the vessel still and turned off, then leaving the area and coming back or logging off and reloading the game, the vessel will have moved from its original location. I have left HV's, SV's, and CV's inside of a "cave" base and they "teleport" to ~100m above it and drop from the sky. I have also left HV's on the ground and upon relogging into the server they drop from the sky. HV's left inside of a ground level base have dropped through the floor into the basement level. CV's left on ground level will flip upside-down. HV's docked to CV's that move from where they were left will be still "docked" to the CV but ~10m above where they were left (floating in the air).

Steps to Reproduce: Land capital vessel, hover vessel, or small vessel on Sudrystelerit. Log off of server, log back on. If you look at the vessel as soon as you log on you can often see it being dropped from ~100m up.

2. KeenKrozzy

KeenKrozzy Ensign

I can confirm this bug. My ships will not stay in my garage since 1.3. It's like their x,y,z position is not being loaded accurately, or being truncated. If it is in a cave, then it just looks for the next available space on the Z axis, resulting in my ships spawning on top of my base in the open.

3. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Could you please re-try this on the EXP Branch? It might be fixed there with the latest fixes we have done

Germanicus and Pach like this.
  4. Aersaud

Aersaud Ensign

This issue is still occurring on my server and other server's that I know of. It seems to only happen if the HV/CV/SV is powered off AND/OR docked. The HV/CV/SV is then found 1-2km away and upside down. There is no way to reproduce the bug with 100% success since it sometimes occurs and does not occur. I also experienced the same issue in Single Player Vanilla as well. There are no errors or warning in the server logs that I can see aside from your normal Unity shader warnings. The client log however is being spammed with:

Code:
    23-07:18:47.586 02_18 -LOG- Found and deleted unmanaged product prefab file: ZeroG Sidewinder
    23-07:18:47.586 02_18 -ERR- Error while updating product prefabs
    I do not think it is a coincidence that this is the exact SV I am using in both single player and multiplayer as a scout. On many occasions this SV has teleported to various places on the planet, this also happens on every planet I have visited thus far in both multiplayer and single player.

The client AND server are running the latest build v1.3.2 (Build 3207).

As of right now when this happens I have no choice but to use EAH to teleport ships back to my players as a temporary workaround which as you can imagine is a time consuming task to the point where I am now administrating more than playing.

5. DarkMaid

DarkMaid Commander

On two occasions I have returned to my base after doing something elsewhere on the planet and found the Hoverbike had partially (1st instance) and totally (2nd instance) sunk into the concrete pad/apron I'd built around my base. Said base is the Heidelberg POI which I'd cored and turned into my home base. The Hoverbike had been re-purposed as a tree harvester.

Also, upon loading the same game a few days later I found my CV sunk up to the base of its landing gear with the extended part of the landing gear submerged in the concrete apron. First and only time so far. The loading ramp (which had been left in the lowered position) had also sunk into the concrete. I had to remove a window in order to get into the CV as the ramp was the only entrance (the CV was now too close to the concrete to enable walking under it).

Build: v1.3.3 3209
    Survival, Singleplayer
    Playfield 43351 (not sure if this is the actual seed but it's the closest thing that looks like a seed in the console).

Reproducibility: Probably very hard to reproduce. Seems to be a very small probability. In the case of the Hoverbike I noted that I had not fitted it with a Docking Pad which I usually do. It was parked with its four Ground Repulsor Engines in contact with the concrete pad. So maybe a HV with Ground Repulsor Engines, no Docking Pad, with the HV sitting on its Repulsor Engines. I also tend to park it very close the walls of my base (so I have more uncluttered space for other vehicles). May or may not have any significance but I'm trying to think of other factors.

I've since added four Docking Pads to it and have been keeping on eye on it (several game days can elapse before I need more logs for biofuel so it tends to stay parked for longish periods). I suppose I should make a test hovercraft without Docking Pads (ie. the configuration when it "sank").

On the first instance the Hoverbike had barely tilted into the pad. It was unloaded. When I do a Debug for Center of Mass I notice that the two indicators don't line up axially even though I'm pretty sure it is a symmetrical build. Mind you it's the Hoverbike that you find on Day 1 or 2 which I partially stripped down and added the tree harvester and ore/wood cargo controller. On the second occurrence it had sunk completely below the surface and I had to go into godmode to see it. Because of the initial partial sinking instance I knew to look underground first.

After taking the screenshots I got into the cockpit and it popped to the surface. Not knowing what to expect I exited early when I thought it was sinking to the center of the planet so I got thrown about 150m and took about 120 health (didn't even break a leg).

[​IMG]

In godmode under my concrete landing pad. The structure to the right is the basement portion of my base.

[​IMG]

After getting the HV to pop to the surface.

[​IMG]

CV partially "sunk" into pad.

[​IMG]

Fixed by re-landing the CV (after crawling through a removed window :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    KuulKuum, Germanicus and Pach like this.
  6. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

@DarkMaid :

My gaming group has had issues with HV's sinking into pads when they don't have landing pads before. Make sure they are the lowest blocks of the ship (having even partial blocks beside them, that are slimmer/smaller than them, or a flare, etc., can interfere with the docking, too--they have to to be the BOTTOM).

It doesn't look like your CV has landing gear, either... does it? If not, adding gear to the CV would fix the "sinking" issue there, too.

Just curious, the area you built the pad: did you have to dig any of it out? e.g. was any of it the piles of dirt that are part of the POI?

Also, attaching a save file (since you mentioned single player) helps the devs debug. Great write up/description.

Germanicus and DarkMaid like this.
  7. DarkMaid

DarkMaid Commander

@Pach

Ok, so there is an issue with HV's that don't have docking pads. Kind of suspected as much as I pretty much always equip them except for this one time. Thanks for the feedback with your past experience concerning this. Not that that should be an acceptable condition -- I shouldn't NEED to have docking pads to not have HV's sinking into the base.

Re. the CV: the 2nd pic clearly shows the gear for the CV (they were on the ship before the sinking occurred) and if you look closely in the 1st pic you can see the bit that attaches to the CV with the rest buried in the ground. And with a ventral boarding ramp some sort of landing gear is necessary anyway.

I have played games when my initial T1 CV's are without landing gears and have rudimentary block pillars that mimick landing gear (because you need an Advanced Large Constructor to make CV Landing gear which I often haven't got yet when I build my first CV) . Never had a "sinking" incident though I usually equip the CV with proper gear the second I get the constructor upgraded so the opportunity to get a sinking CV when it doesn't yet have landing gear is usually a very short time window.

When I saved the game the CV had been sitting on its gear as usual with the boarding ramp extended just as in the 2nd pic. However, when I loaded the game on that particular occasion I was confronted with the situation depicted in the 1st pic. Unless there's a rare issue with that particular style of landing gear (the 4x1x1 that simply gets attached to the underside of the CV) that incident can't be blamed on lack of landing gear.

For the concrete base I did remove all the "skid marks" dirt/rock mounds that were around the POI wreck. I didn't use the flattening setting but carefully aimed the drill horizontal and squeezed the trigger just enough to remove the protruding debris. As you're probably aware if you're careful you won't make a hole and can surgically remove anything above the normal POI ground level.

Germanicus likes this.
  8. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

@DarkMaid

Sorry; I did indeed miss the gear in the second pic (was looking at the first one).

I asked about the dirt mounds, because those are probably made with filler blocks of dirt for the POI, and it's possible that they react weird when replaced by real blocks. I'm wondering if you would have the same issue with a base NOT made from one of the quest POIs.

Or it could be the style of gear. I used to use those on my CV, but stopped, because they were awful for getting the engines to shutoff on uneven terrain (all the pads have to be "mostly" on the ground, and it's nearly impossible to do with those big pads). Are you willing to experiment a bit, and see what you get?

The big question is, can you reproduce it? If so, providing a save file where it's happening is the best way to get bugs fixed (the Devs cannot fix it until they can reproduce it in the Development tools and see what's going on... and the best way for that to happen, is provide them a file where they can reproduce it).

Germanicus likes this.
  9. Guardian44

Guardian44 Commander

I added a screenshot.
    On our server, since the patch we encountered this issue many many times, no player is save.

Just to name a few examples.
    - parked ships turn upside down
    - docked ships fall through CVs, does not matter if its a hover or a SV, they simply suddenly are dispositioned inside the CVs.

They are outside, inside, making many times impossible to move the CVs, because of the altered position of the docked ship. It does not matter, if the SV,HV is docked at the top or at the bottom, once the server has restarted, the positions are heavily altered and cause tremendous problems.

These errors cannot be fixed by players sometimes, admin intervention is mostly required.

The ships behave odd, after you log onto the server and start them up for the first time of the day. Pitch,yawn and roll settings sometimes lose their effect.

before the patch for example it was possible to dock a SV,HV on a boarding ramp, when opened the ship moved with it, now it stays in the docked position.

That is the biggest issue at the moment.

Attachments: Screenshot, Serverlogs

Attached Files:

10. Guardian44

Guardian44 Commander

in addition: by selfexperience and player reports, once you turn off a ship, there is high chance that you glitch through your own ship into the outside world

Note for the Server settings, Mass and Volume is set active.

we also have disappearing ships, items, equipment

11. DarkMaid

DarkMaid Commander

It happened again. Slightly different circumstances: this time I loaded my game and everything was fine. Took off in one of my SV's to mine a meteorite and get stuff from an "Outpost" POI I had cleared out earlier. Both were about 6kms from my home base. After about 2 or 3 game days (I manually mined the meteorite and stripping the Outpost took a good day and a half at least) I returned and found my CV had sunk past the layer of concrete blocks (almost as if they weren't there) and was resting on the ground beneath the pad.

The landing gear was still extended. My HV was fine (so far so good with the added Docking Pads). Oh yeah, you can also see the new external stairs leading up to the roof of the CV where I have a hatch. No more breaking windows to get back into my CV :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am in godmode but clipping through the concrete pad. You can see the landing gear is resting on the ground beneath the concrete pad.

[​IMG]
    After moving my POV slightly downward you can see the thickness of the initial ground layer.

[​IMG]
    Down a bit further and you can see the "bedrock" zone that kinda looks like a pit but isn't.

I tried to attach the zipped save file but it is too large. Currently looking into how to upload the larger file (I'm noob at uploading save files) but I'll post this in the meantime and provide the savegame later after I've read up on the procedure.

Re. experimentation. My base building was built near the edge of the POI: I could build a new pad outside the boundaries of the POI field and start using that and see what happens. Mind you I've built similar bases (massive concrete pads covering good portions of a POI field) and never once had this quicksand effect. For one thing, POI's have already been flattened so there is minimal groundwork involved when it comes time to make the pad. It's also the only reason I refuse to use CPU rules because I vehemently disagree with the idea of CPU cost for concrete and rock (yes, there is even a CPU cost for some of the rocky material near your base). But that's another topic.

Edit: link to save file:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d41nghKLDvXwLvjyTPxysUn7IqvgTbpD/view?usp=sharing

Edit 2: I just noticed from the screenshot that the landing gear is damaged (tooltip from the multitool). I think that was from landing hard when I returned heavily loaded and the down thrusters didn't stop me soon enough (very little reserve thrust due to heavier gravity on the planet vs. the moon which was where I had loaded the ship). I still landed on top of the pad, though.

Edit 3: Back in the game and had trouble freeing myself from the concrete. The rear left landing gear refused to get free. Tilting the CV upwards, applying thrust from the rear thrusters and jiggling the controls got it free. When I had ascended a bit I noticed the gear stayed extended (it normally retracts after clearing the landing surface).

Also, this is a different bug but when I exit the CV cockpit and powerdown there's a good chance (over 30%) of my character falling through the floor to the deck below. Happens if I try standing further back from the cockpit; at other 2nd deck locations but not on the lowest deck. It's a cramped ship (only 1 block-high internal spaces) and I notice that when I power down while standing inside CV's & SV's with open cockpits that my character will do a little hop. Most of the time I come down on the deck but on the CV I often fall through the solid steel deck onto the deck below. I'll be searching the forum for THAT bug next...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  12. DarkMaid

DarkMaid Commander

Sigh....

Well, I built a new landing pad to the east of the base building well away from the POI area. Guess what? Made two runs with an SV to ferry loot from the Outpost POI and upon return the CV had sunk through the concrete until the landing gear fetched up against the soil surface. Because this pad was raised there was enough depth to even have the hull of the CV clip through the concrete. It might have done it after the first run but it was dark and I might not have noticed (I was doing the fly by pick up and drop off using logistics network by flying within range of the logistic networks so from above in the dark I might not have noticed if the CV had sunk or not).

Now, there are some issues in this area that I built the new pad on: there are 3 trees and several plants I can't harvest. A couple of the plants have partially sunk (someone else wrote a bug report about sinking plants ie. fire moss & eggs sometimes disappear from view completely) but this area I built the new pad on doesn't have any of the dirt or odd layer of rock/dirt where the POI wreck was.

I am beginning to suspect the landing gear now. If I can extricate the ship I'm going to change them out to a different style and see what happens. As I type this the ship is still the way it is in the screen shots. If I can't get the ship out of there by jumping in the cockpit and trying to lift off then it looks like I'll be retrieving any blocks that are clipping into the ship.

[​IMG]

The large pad to the right is occupying the Heidelberg POI debris field. It was where the previous sinking incidents happened (reverse angle from those screenshots). My base building is almost off the debris field and the new pad to the left is well off the debris field. Can't blame the POI area unless being connected to the POI has some effect in itself(?)

[​IMG]

Looks like the landing gear simply ignored the concrete but deployed when they touched soil. The ship lands normally on the pad when you are in it and it doesn't appear to sink while you are nearby. But take some other vessel and do something a few kilometers away and come back is when the weird **** happens.

Link to save game:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bS1j2lO9XzmscumIMGkNdhAzX3_PMyOJ/view?usp=sharing
    Note that the ship is still in the clipped condition in that file.

Going to reload now and see if I can get the ship out easily or not...

Edit: when the game loaded the ship jiggled itself free (the concrete hung onto it for a bit like a dog that doesn't want to let go of a toy). I watched from just outside my base because I'd saved the game with my character standing just outside looking in the direction of the stuck ship. Actually scared the heck outta me because the ship was flailing around and I didn't know if it was going to become a massive projectile or not.

Did it pop up on its own because the hull was clipped? Because in the previous instance when only the gear was clipped and I loaded the file the ship didn't try to free itself: as documented earlier I had to jump through a retrieved window, get in the cockpit, power-up and do the freeing up part by my own action. Interesting. Still going to change out the landing gear, though.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  13. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

It's possible. There were some issues (which may still exist? I don't know if they were resolved...) where the salvageable POI/ships (the damaged hovercraft and the SV found by the Heidelberg) had some weird issue that other vessels didn't have. I don't remember exactly what it was (not being able to turn on a shield? can't access station services? it was something really odd...)

... so it's still possible it's the POI.

The only way to know THAT for sure would be to make a separate new base (not attached - could just be a core with the platform) and see if it falls through...

I'm betting on the landing gear, though. I'm curious what you find when you swap them out.

What you described is kind of classic "this vessel has something in it's bounding box and interfering where it shouldn't be". You used to be able to get the same effect by putting another vessel inside a hangar, but not docking it... then try to move the CV....

So yes, this time, it saw clipping.

I also noticed you don't build your platform all the way to the ground... you have "pillars" underneath.

If swapping the gear type out doesn't fix it, my next experiment would be to fill in underneath, unless your first platform already was that way (I can't tell from the pics? looks like it may have been?)

DarkMaid and Germanicus like this.
  14. Guardian44

Guardian44 Commander

it appears, that the yawm,pitch and roll settings are not saved. you set them, you leave your ship, you return to your ship, the settings are back to default

15. DarkMaid

DarkMaid Commander

Changed the landing gear to "Landing Gear 2 (Retractable)". Same result. Seems I can reproduce this almost 100% of the time by flying to my Abandoned Outpost POI in an SV, load up with loot, come back and the CV will have sunk through concrete when I get back.

Oddly enough, before the loot run to the Abandoned Outpost POI and back, I'd made a trip to a nearby Polaris trading post to sell weapons, ore scanners and multitools. I then headed from there to the orbiting Polaris trade space station to buy Neodymium, Cobalt, Titanium rods, refined Pentaxid and Magnesium. When I finally returned to base from that round trip the CV was sitting on the pad normally. But make that quick trip 5.5 km to the Abandoned Outpost and back and the CV will have sunk through the concrete until the landing gear reaches soil. Go figure.

[​IMG]

As you can see, those are different landing gear.

As far as the pad design goes, there are examples of smaller landing pads (for SV's) that are way up in the air, or just thin metal walkways (ie. the planet-side trading posts). The pilings you noted are spaced 4 squares apart so that there is no structural integrity issues. Sure I could fill it in solid but I shouldn't have to. What about the roof of a large base? I should be able to park a CV there (if there are proper support pillars inside) if I wanted to and it would have air spaces below the pad surface.

Oh, to answer your other question about the large pad over the POI field: the field was flat and the concrete I laid down was all in contact with the ground (bright green structural integrity which means it is in contact with the earth).

[​IMG]

For the sake of experiment I will fill the raised one in solid and see what happens but let's not forget that there is something bugged that the devs need to fix. Naturally I want to continue playing the game for entertainment so I'll have to adapt to what the game bugs are preventing me from doing. But we should be able to land CV's without issues on cored POI's (whether story related or not) and onto one-block thick concrete (or steel or whatever) as long as the structural integrity is good. Also to make clear that I've had no issue with SV's whatsoever, the Hoverbike has not sunk since I added Landing Pads to it (knock on wood). It's just CV's, their landing gear and concrete blocks being ignored when you're off-base and return.

It's looking like I'm going to have to give up making bases out of POI's or at the very least park my CV's on flattened soil only. I don't want to give up this base yet so I'm prepared to retrieve all the blocks from the original pad and just land the CV directly onto the soil. If it starts sinking into THAT then it really will be goners for POI bases for me.

Now to save the game, restart and hope the CV pops back up like last time...

Edit: It popped up again but this time landed on its side. My jetpack parkour skills suck so I ended up having to remove a couple hull blocks to gain access. As soon as I got into the cockpit it started righting itself (didn't even have to turn on the power). Kinda cool, actually. But I'm off to bed for now.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  16. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

From what you said about the original pad, I don't think you need to do the fill-in experiment. If the original pad was contacted with the ground, the pillars have nothing to do with it.

You are absolutely correct: it needs fixed. The more info we give, the better chance of it being fixed. Hopefully, they can use the save files you provided to sort it out (they may be on Holiday right now, though... usually one of them have responded by now).

EDIT:

Re: getting back in your ship.

Why don't you just use godmode to fly to the cockpit? It's clearly because of a bug, so there's no 'cheating' using the console to fix a bug.... :)

17. Durham

Durham Ensign

Build: 3209
    Mode:
    Survival
    Mode:
    Multi Player

Reproducibility:
    Sometimes

Summary: SVs being bugged under water/ground

Description: We had several issues with our SVs being suddenly underground (we actually had to digg the ship out of the planet) or underwater. Each time the ship had been docked onto the base above (one is build on a sea, one on the planets ground).

DarkMaid and Chidas like this.
  18. Durham

Durham Ensign

Mode:
    Survival
    Mode:
    Multi Player

Reproducibility:
    Sometimes

Summary: Docked ships are being visible outside of the CV or flying above its ground

Description: We had several issues were a ship (mostly SVs) are suddenly visible several distance behind, above or next to the CV they were docked on (happened in space and on planet). If you reach them, get in and move you can hear the "dock off" sound being played.
    If the ships were just flying a short distance (1-2 small blocks) above the docking ground the issue could also be solved by leaving the CV via teleportation and arriving there again.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Fly with CV into space and shut off all of its thrusters
    2) Leave CV for some time
    3) Return and try to fly
    4) Check for misplaced ships

xtended2l likes this.
  19. DarkMaid

DarkMaid Commander

I could have godmoded into the ship with a clear conscience but it was a fun little challenge to see if I could get in normally. If I'd had a second jetpack suit upgrade to give me more flight time (to compensate my sucky jetpack flying) or if I'd mounted the hatch door not flush to the hull but indented so that there is a little horizontal surface to land onto instead of bouncing off it (before I could hit F to open it) then perhaps I'd have managed it (without resorting to retrieving hull blocks that is). Actually, for future situations I'm going to rotate the hatch door so it IS indented (not just for these experiments but for "real" situations).

There is another factor I thought of: the boarding ramp. I've been leaving it extended. Not much of a factor but I could start leaving the ramp closed up (so that only the landing gear is in contact with concrete). Highly doubt this being the cause, though.

This whole business is really puzzling because in the game before I had pretty much the same set-up: home base on the Heidelberg POI, big concrete apron and an even bigger Class II CV (which at one time had three different types of landing gear, two boarding ramps and three loading ramps). Never had sinking issues.

[​IMG]

That's a pic I made to show to a friend who doesn't play the game but you can see the Heidelberg POI field with the pad, base building (formerly the forward section of the Heidelberg), and my big (for me) CV. I'd just finished flying the hulks from the minefield (carefully avoiding the patrolling Zirax frigate although it did manage to squeeze off a few rockets during one of the salvage flights).

My current game has two very crappy CV wrecks at the minefield (aside from the Destroyed SV with the warp drive, etc.) In fact, in the story-line in my current game I don't even see the Illmaren or the minefield chapters -- I wonder if they've been pulled by the devs to be over-hauled or something? Admittedly the stuff you get (as witnessed by my collection of CV wrecks) was a bit too much for the effort (for just a CV cockpit, a couple of small generators, and some fuel I gained 3 CV's (and the SV)) because I just re-use the CV cockpit and engines for each salvage operation.

I had to scrap the game and start the current one due to the extensive changes to NPC factions (not that I mind too much as I find the very beginning part of the game to be the most interesting and fun) but I saved the CV template (it's been my most ambitious CV build since playing Empyrion: double hull layer of combat steel/alien blocks, proper engine rooms, T2 shield (first game I've used shields), big hangar for my hover tank, two galley/crew areas, etc.). I've already thought of improvements so I'll probably build from scratch again as I've always done :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Pach likes this.
  20. Chidas

Chidas Ensign

Mode: Survival
    Mode: Single player

I am finding this sort of behaviour with SV and HV. Undocked vehicles left at my base are 'restored' when I return but with vertical displacements. So far HV has been airdropped and the SV buried both in solid ground and in my underground garden room.

DarkMaid likes this.