Terrain Issues in Creative

Discussion in 'Backlog' started by -AKEVA-BANSHEE-, Jul 11, 2021.

1. -AKEVA-BANSHEE-

-AKEVA-BANSHEE- Commander

Build: 3390
    Mode: Creative
    Mode: Dedicated Multiplayer

SERVER NAME: Galactic Expansion Industries Creative Server, Hosted by Baecon Community Gaming
    SEED-ID: 1011345

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: NO. Default Creative

Reproducibility: Always.
    Severity: Minor

Type: Terrain Render

Summary: Terrain duplication& render issues.

Description: Terrain is duplicating about 100m above planet terrain if flying and if walking random depressions that move and change as your character moves or looks around.

Steps to Reproduce: Create a new creative dedicated server. Join said server and fly and walk around.

Note: Server was created last night and terrain issues where seen as soon as I logged in. The only changes from stock setup where adding steam64 ID to adminconfig.yaml No other changes or commands used.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    kfurrow likes this.
  2. Did you happen to use the changemode command at all to change the save from survival to creative or vice versa?

3. -AKEVA-BANSHEE-

Read the whole post please.

Kassonnade likes this.
  4. I did read the whole post.... That still doesn't confirm or deny the use of console commands though.
    Nowhere does it say you didn't use commands.

A clear yes or no is all that was needed.....
    The devs likely would have asked you the same thing too.

Spoon likes this.
  5. Upload your save file and log files so it can actually be looked into.

Try clearing your cache files and then start the server to see if it fixes it. If it doesn't you'll need to wipe the playfields or start a new game.

6. -AKEVA-BANSHEE-

If they ask I will provide them. I tried to keep the post as simple as possible. Here is why. I literally just set up the server to see if I had set the permissions correctly. As soon as I got in I used GM command. That's when I noticed the issue. This is a brand new server, No other files on it. No bloody change mode command where used because it was set up as creative from the get go. Please do not speak for the Devs. If you have additional info to assist with the report such as "I have seen this happen when" Or something along that line that can provide info on debugging or troubleshooting I am fine with that. This is a bug report not a place to fish for likes. As for clearing cache I already ruled that out before posting the bug report.

Kassonnade and Myrmidon like this.
  7. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I can add this happens every time when starting a custom scenario that uses custom planets in creative mode on a dedicated server and it has been happening for awhile. I have not reported it as I forgot to.

Your bug sounds like the exact same issue as I experienced, except on Default Creative. Makes sense it would have that same issue since Default Creative is a scenario that now also uses custom playfields.

kfurrow likes this.
  8. Lanthanum

Lanthanum Ensign

is there a solution for this?

9. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

No, except to use only vanilla playfields or just build in space.
    Maybe if you start a normal survival game and convert it to creative and then go to another randomly generated system that might have working planets but I have not tested it.

kfurrow likes this.
  10. DiMithras

DiMithras Lieutenant

I also have terrain issues on Akua, but a bit different.
    Basically, there are holes in terrain near the Escape pod (starting point), something one sees in 3D software with bad normals. Going into this hole results in player teleporting high up in the sky above the hole.

11. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

This is still an issue on dedicated servers running custom scenarios in creative mode that use a sectors file and galaxy.

To reproduce, start a new server using the Reforged Eden scenario, and set the game mode to creative.

12. Lanthanum

Lanthanum Ensign

I have been designing a race requiring specific terrain on a planet I added to an exact copy of my main dedicated server.
    When I brought over all the files for this planet, this issue presented itself. I tried copying over the cache from that server to the main one and that appeared to resolve the issue, however that ended up only working for me. Other players that connect to the server have this issue. I have had them clear their cache as well. Players are not falling through the ground and this seems only visual since the server has the correct terrain. I believe my client is seeing the terrain correctly because I have been working on the server copy as well, and the save games therefore may have the same name. I will have another player connect to this server and return to the main one and see what happens.

Update: even after clearing cache on that client connecting to either server now has the issue. When I provide my cache it fixes it on both. But deleting the cache on either causes the issue. idk why my client worked in the first place at this point.
    Other clients are not getting or generating the correct "terrain.raw" file.
    I will have to experiment with adding another planet and having another player connect to the test server, having no cache for that planet.

My other client:
    https://gyazo.com/2e0b5441a9f373f2f5811ce15be0dadd

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023