Help needed Testing playfield generation?

Discussion in 'Custom Playfields & Systems' started by LiftPizzas, Jan 8, 2021.

1. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Is there a way to test a playfield (or system) generation with multiple seeds to find out if it generates without problems? Or to generate some number of random seeds and report which or how many of them failed?

For example I want to make sure that a few specific POIs/resources are spawned on the starter planet. If any of them is missing it's unplayable. I have to go through manually one seed at a time to check if it generates everything. (Making the planet bigger or adding more duplicates is not an acceptable solution in this case.)

2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I'm not sure if the SSG is working for this, but in previous versions it could do exactly this.

LiftPizzas likes this.
  3. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Add the is important flag to them to give them 1000 spawn chances instead of the default 100.
    Give them a wider spawn area (higher variance if they are using a spawn near for example).
    Give them a dedicated fixed spawn biome (see the starting biome for the default starter planets).

Those can potentially help.

LiftPizzas likes this.
  4. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

I'm using the IsImportant flag, I have that much hehe. Somewhere was also a setting for number of tries that I had increased earlier on.

I had looked in the SSG, I will check it out again and see if I can get it to work. Looks like it would be quicker for checking seeds.

5. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Ok I've been using the SSG a bit, and I'm able to generate planets using my files. The thing is they don't match the one generated in-game with the same seed. I'm using the planetary seed, shown in the console:
    Playfield 'Dessicorant' with type 'planet' class=2 and playfield seed 275941 loaded

When I use that as the seed in SSG I get an obviously different planet, which still has all the key characteristics such as POI types and fixed biome locations, etc. Like here you can see the start (0,0) has a huge ocean with the drone base to the left.
    aridssg.jpg

In SSG with the same seed, there's a very different little pond. And the POIs are all in very different spots. (Drone base is on the lower right.) ssg output.jpg

It seems like I can tell if they're generating without errors, at least. But I would be a lot more confident if I could get the results to match up with what I'm seeing in-game.

6. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

This may be due to the fact that the SSG uses fixed values for things like temperature, water height, etc. So if you use it with playfield_static and playfield_dynamic, you will have to adjust the sliders to see how different levels will affect terrain.

To get the exact same terrain, you will need to use a fixed playfield.yaml file instead of the static + dynamic. But as a tool to test POI placement, you can adjust the sliders to the "worst" possible combinations to test if your POIs still show up.