The ability to disable default global chat for Roleplay servers

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by JCD, Jun 6, 2019.

1. JCD

JCD Lieutenant

I want to make a mod that limits global chat only to people within 20 meters and in the same playfield. This would be great for roleplay servers. One issue, though, is that I can't seem to disable global chat entirely. It would still send the message globally no matter what I do with the mod. I would like a way to turn off global, possibly through the config. However, I still want messages like those from other mods or my mod, just not chat messages from the built in chat system.

Elder Days likes this.
  2. JCD

JCD Lieutenant

I talked to some moderators. Apparently, a "Say" function is in the works that will allow for local chat. They also said that they will never add an option to disable global, because they want this game to be used only in a "particular way" whatever that means. I urge the developers to reconsider this idea, because alienating people who want to avoid a metagaming global chat is a good way to limit who will want to play your game severely. With a global chat, most serious roleplay is impossible or will be ruined by people who use it when they are not supposed to, like new players. I don't think you guys understand how roleplay games work, because very few people who play them have showed any interest in this game so far due to how it is designed.

3. JCD

JCD Lieutenant

Here is a random roleplay ruleset from a server for a different game, so you can get an idea of what this community needs. They don't need much.

http://wlodsforge.proboards.com/thread/1027/server-rules

You may notice, that many of the things they do are often "roleplayed" and not actual game features. You don't need to help them do everything, as part of the fun is pretending things are happening when they are not. If people do things out of line, then admins usually have the job of fixing those situations. Most of these things they do are in fact better to let people manage themselves than to leave to some ingame system, because ingame systems can be wrong while players have better judgement that can result in greater complexity. The only issue is immaturity in certain players, which can easily be resolved with moderation. However, certain things like global can be very disruptive if players join the server and use it without realizing it is not supposed to be used for general communication, saying things that can make it harder for others to roleplay effectively. Roleplay server owners would prefer people were forced to talk locally, so they are forced to learn how the game works when they hit that limitation. It is a nightmare for these servers when a group of new players join without knowing the rules, only for them all to be banned and get angry about it afterwards because they feel they didn't get adequate warning etc. It can be very hard for server owners to be clear enough how the rules work, especially when dealing with players who found the server in the browser and have no roleplay experience. Of course, the server could be whitelisted, but most people would prefer not doing that, as whitelisting can limit growth of a community severely.

It might seem strange from the outside, people playing a game and trying to do things realistically with rules to limit how they interact. However, if you ever played on a server like this, you would understand that these limitations create an environment that is more about storytelling and immersion. It causes the game to be more focused on meaningful interaction, and less on who beats everyone in pvp and takes over each planet. Roleplaying is also unique in that most players play without getting emotionally attached to game events, meaning that people can be very friendly out of game while still competing ingame, and sometimes even swapping sides with new characters. The huge amount of drama from people constantly trying to outplay each at any cost other is suddenly gone. Clan rivalry only reaches as far as the roleplay, and people are often very happy to communicate out of character, much more so than on non-roleplay servers. From a roleplaying perspective, being on the loosing side can be even more entertaining than winning all the time. If everyone follows the rules, it can be an interesting experience that you can't achieve any other way.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  4. Morrgard

Morrgard Ensign

I second this motion, or perhaps started it.

I would love the ability to be cut off from global and make use of a local chat in order to roleplay efficiently. As one would imagine roleplaying with a global chat would break immersion quite a bit, of course, there could be a rule for not using it but it would still occur, so creating a sense of "realism" within a roleplay a global chat is quite the way to go in the opposite direction.

Just something simple as a local chat with a radius of around 20 or fewer meters and a disabled Global chat is all that is necessary to be able to create an environment on your server afterward which works, As a roleplay server there would be use of discord or the likes to convey other messages that you don't want to see whilst immersing yourself, for instance, questions of rules or all kinds of things that only your imagination can limit you too really.

Point being, this is something I would LOVE to see, and essential to roleplay which is my cup of tea