The elephant in the room.....

Discussion in 'Other Discussion' started by RobDog, Aug 2, 2016.

1. RobDog

RobDog Commander

So, in 7 days we will have the opportunity to experience No Man's Sky. While I look forward to playing it, I cannot see it pulling me away from Empyrion much. I could be wrong, but I really enjoy the multi player experience of EGS. I've watched the leaked videos of NMS and they are impressive to some degree. The players seem too anxious to get to the next planet without exploring very much. Maybe there are only certain points of interest on each planet...

2. =TCR= Big_Red

=TCR= Big_Red Rear Admiral

I could see were it also would turn boring aswell

3. RobDog

RobDog Commander

Yep, that is my worry....

4. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I'm not holding my breath. It looks like it may be More Interesting (tm) than Elite Dangerous... but as for something that competes with builder sandboxes, nah...

5. =TCR= Big_Red

Been working with Nomads Planet editor for building the last few days. Interesting but they decided to not finish it so they could get the main game ready for Aug 25 release.

6. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I couldn't spend much time with that builder ;) It seemed to have all the bad ideas that had been ditched in other builder games (egs included), and tossed them all into one editor and it just all rubs me the wrong way and I got so frustrated with it, I was like... no. Delete.

7. =TCR= Big_Red

I hear you there. Crashed the editor so bad it tossed me back into desktop lol

Frigidman likes this.
  8. medicineman

medicineman Captain

It's a console game. Sure it works on pc but it is a console game.

How droll.

9. =TCR= Big_Red

Good point. So what seperates a console game from a PC game?

10. mid endian

mid endian Commander

in no man's sky, you can't build ships and bases. it's a different focus than empyrion.

11. =TCR= Big_Red

Nothing ..lol oppss money does.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  12. medicineman

medicineman Captain

Well when developing a game for console you have to limit what you are building for a weaker less scalable platform. Also the controls offer less options when you design your game and that lack of options is visible in every single element of gameplay. Honestly there has never been a flight sim worth a crap on console and that does not bode well for no man's sky.

It's also very telling that the moment subnautica became a buggy piece of junk was when they opened up an xbox fork. Sorry but that game has turned into a nightmare of corrupted saved games and bizarre bugs. I'm done with it. Console garbage :(

13. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Ugh. Every xbox racing game (including cars and boats etc) that I tried forces you to steer with your left thumb. It's as if none of the developers has ever driven an RC car, and didn't actually ever play their own game.

RobDog and medicineman like this.
  14. =TCR= Big_Red

I will have to check out Subnautica again. Its been maybe two months since i last played it.

RobDog likes this.
  15. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

LOL! Thats so right, now that you bring it up... all our RC remotes had throttle on left, and turn on right. Wow its been a long time since I used one of those :( The days before computers mmmmmmmmmmmm......

Since I actually steer my realcar with my left hand (Im' a stick owner in the US)... using the left thumbstick with my thumb wasn't as big a stretch.

16. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Ah yeah, I drove a stick for a few years too. If it were a wheel with several feet between "full left" and "full right" it wouldn't be such a big deal. But the range of motion on the thumbstick is like one inch and the difference between going where you want to go and ramming into a wall/obstacle is millimeters. It just boggled my mind that they don't even give you a choice to configure the controls, even on games like forza where you could choose from a bunch of cars and customize every aspect of the car.

Frigidman likes this.
  17. medicineman

medicineman Captain

Using consoles is all about not having any choices in your game. They are a very closed and rigid platform. It's gotten a lot better since the nintendo 16 days but no console can touch a pc for openness as a development platform.

18. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I had to buy stick extenders so moving was done in a larger range, less touchyness. A wheel is nice though.

It is weird why they don't allow full customization. I don't see it taking that more 'save game slot bytes' to make it impossible. Consoles... meh... I dont own any, don't like being forced to use a controller. I have one for my PC, for those few games that dont really need a lot of controls, and actually do flow well with a controller. Very few games indeed ;)

I kind of boggle how anyone says they are 'good at fps on a console' ... compared to what?!

RobDog likes this.
  19. RobDog

RobDog Commander

As a PC gamer I don't care for consoles much. But I do understand the positive aspects of them. I'm glad that NMS is on both PC and PS4. As a parallel release, I suspect it to be less of a port of the game to the other platform. Ports have generally been pretty bad in both directions.

20. RobDog

RobDog Commander

Lol, good fps players on console... Most don't realize how much aim assist is on or built in.

I played 1 game on Xbox 360 called fuel of war, no aim assist. Was very tough to aim but was rewarding to play. Would have been better on PC, but I did have fun and it looked great on my TV.

Frigidman likes this.