The filler block

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by playlessNamer, Jan 16, 2019.

1. playlessNamer

playlessNamer Ensign

Cant find any media for it. I dont really get what it is. Is it like placing air in a bunker so you dont need to dig it out or is it terrain like earthground you can add to your base?

Only way to find it out is to test it in survival whats the outcome. Has anyone used it meanwhile and can share some media about it?

2. Floridaskye

Floridaskye Ensign

Apparently don't have permission to view that page.

3. Pantera

Pantera Administrator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Sorry the thread is being prepared will be up shortly. I'll relink to it here when it is ready.

Furious Hellfire likes this.
  4. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

It's for POIs only.

5. Pantera

Pantera Administrator
    Staff Member

• Developer
  6. Ravis

Ravis Commander

I believe it's to add ground to a poi. For example you set the poi to cutout ground and add filler blocks above the basement area to add it back. Thus you have a small surface building and a larger basement. (Sorta) pritty sure they don't add air. But it's for pois not the f2 menu.

Welp never mind :p.

ravien_ff likes this.
  7. playlessNamer

playlessNamer Ensign

Damnd, i thought its basebuilding stuff...
    thx for the answers,
    stuff will be epic anyways when mapmakers use it.

edit:
    not sure its official feature but on my server it says a core block prevents respawning terrain while wipes. You know what range a coreblock covers undergroundbases from respawning terrain?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  8. DjDaveVoom

DjDaveVoom Ensign

They are used in creative when making a POI for the game, usually by scenario builders, but also by the devs.
    What they do is tell the game where generated terrain should be, so effectively there just a marker for the game engine.
    So what happens is you make say a garden, using these filler blocks, when the POI spawns in a survival game the filler blocks get removed and the terrain generated on the planet is what should be in the filler blocks place.

I haven't fully investigated them there's probably details I've missed but that's the main use.

Credit Goes to My friend Piddlefoot, Found the Post on a stream group post

9. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

You really should read the thread as its all covered in the link Pantera provided ;)

10. Damocles

Damocles Captain

Maybe in the future, that manual filler block system can be enhanced by an automated procedure (floodfill to mark indoor areas).
    Until then it allows a detailed markup of what underground parts are air voxels, and what remains solid terrain.

-> so I hope now we could see procedural cave-systems in the future?
    This would really enhance the exploration aspect of the game.

ravien_ff likes this.
  11. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Already seen a couple examples of how it can be used to make caves and stuff, its pretty wikid.
    It should allow for some really unique landscapes.

All we need now are data pads !

Sofianinho, Sephrajin and ravien_ff like this.
  12. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I was thinking of data pads today. I know that what we really need, long term, is a really good system like you've described many times before, but it shouldn't be too hard to add something simple that we could start using right now, right? :D I mean a simple preliminary data pad could basically work like an LCD screen does now, player presses F on it and it will open a box with text. Just need to make it so it's only editable in god mode and let us write more stuff to it. Could be controlled with signals so maybe a player would have to do some stuff in the POI before they can access a data pad, etc.

I really hope we get something soon. Filling up walls with LCD screens is both tedious and doesn't look too good. :(

13. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

Creativerse has 'Arc-Signs', basicly it's an LCD screen where you can align the 'hovering text' (front/back,left/Right,up/down) and have more Color Options due to 'BB' like coding style.
    You can even adress the Player with something like ".Playername", which would be awesome for quests/pois/story.

Arc-Sign example:
    (the highlighted item is a storage box, the arc-sign is probably below the box or floor)
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1342898979