The future of "sandbox games" ?

Discussion in 'Other Discussion' started by Kassonnade, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Just found this, although it has been running for a while:

http://www.outerra.com/

If they can make Earth at 1:1 scale, I guess this engine could do very well on a much smaller scale, even if we're talking about a "small" 100 km diameter planet... I know all major game engines struggle presently with "planets" and this is not a new topic. Seeing a small team achieving this makes me wonder what we will see in a near future.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  2. GTv

GTv Rear Admiral

The planets in no man's sky are rather large. It's actually a very good game in spite of the preorder kid's outrage.

3. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Are there planets in No Man's Sky with roads ? A player walked around one planet in NMS and it took somewhere around 23 hours, meaning a planet diameter of about 75 km. The atmospheres in NMS seem very thin...

4. StoneLegion

StoneLegion Captain

NMS is a great start to something. If the Devs keep on some sort of path it could be great in the end. Right now it feels like the entire point the game is to farm for inventory slots haha.

Big update coming soon people guessing Aug 7th. They spent a bunch of time and money advertising this update via Roleplaying on special websites, tapes, etc. Was quite cool.

For me I love Sandbox games but it's hard for me to stick to one for months in a row rather I end up playing for a solid week or 2 then take a break even with Empyrion.

I need a lot more to do overall I guess and more interaction like MMO Scale.

I'm looking forward to Dual Universe down the road hoping it might fill in that void.

Kassonnade likes this.
  5. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

In fact the title I chose for the thread might be off a bit ; it should have been "the future of open world gaming" (or: open space?) because there is no "sandbox" element in Anteworld, the game made with Outterra engine. As for No Man's Sky, I don't know enough of that game and I only read reviews / watched gameplay videos, but it's definitely not a "building" game like Empyrion (correct me if I'm wrong!).

Going to check this "Dual Universe thing... tx !

6. StoneLegion

StoneLegion Captain

Slightly wrong you can now actually build bases in No Man's Sky :)

https://www.nomanssky.com/foundation-update/

Then they added vehicles to drive and more:
    https://www.nomanssky.com/pathfinder-update/

And then 1.3 is coming in a month or less we are not a 100% sure if it's going be Aug 7th or an event happens that date in the game and then the update is out a bit before. But either way I'm going give the game a try then again (have not touched it since 1.0).

Kassonnade likes this.
  7. GTv

GTv Rear Admiral

I have not done any farming but have increased my inventories an awful lot. I certainly don't mind a game with a goal.

8. StoneLegion

StoneLegion Captain

But that seems to be most of the goal haha. That is the downside I mean Sandbox games are meant to be anything you want but there was not a whole lot to do in NMS after visit 10 planets it felt you visited them all. It was mostly an exploring simulator but quite boring one at that sadly.

That being said outside of devs mistakes at launch I think they put a lot of effort into trying to get the game back up there. Downside is the devs don't communicate at all themselves. They have some the worst PR in the industry and continue to not talk to people.

9. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Dual Universe looks promising.

What I see from NMS is not really "voxel based" building, and restricted to specific zones ; it can evolve. Land vehicules look cool though.

cmwhee likes this.
  10. StoneLegion

StoneLegion Captain

I see it as more like Ark building without it being pvp or hardcore pve game more just basic survival at a very base level.

Even that I think Ark building be more in depth now I think about it hehe. Grav maybe.

11. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Grav :

"Player vs Player - Create alliances with other players, viciously kill them and take their belongings, or run from it all! It's up to you how you interact with your fellow players."

Sounds "fun"... That's one reason why sandbox universes have to be quite large : to put space between players. Mixing deathmatches with grinding may not be the recipe for success... The game seems mostly on the "negative" side of the hill.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  12. cmwhee

cmwhee Commander

Thank you so much for introducing me to that game.

I'm vaguely nauseous now, with excitement for what they're building

Kassonnade likes this.
  13. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

The base building options are exhausted pretty quickly, and the land vehicles are interesting, but only one of them (the hover vehicle) is really useful. NMS still suffers from multiple easy ways to make unlimited money once you have even just a basic base, limited only by the time you want to spend doing the same pattern of clicks. There's still the same range of installations to find on every planet; not really anything fundamentally new to see after the 6th or 10th planet.

14. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Actually it was pointed to me by Kane Hart. ;)

Edit : I installed the demo for Anteworld but it refuses to start, asking me to update my graphic driver, which is more recent than their minimal requirements... Too bad. I will wait until they improve their driver detection...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  15. StoneLegion

StoneLegion Captain

What the heck is this?

Code:
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/157854419?t=15m19s
    Some sort of NMS roleplaying message lol

16. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I only watched the 1st message... The whole segment is more than 1 hour long! My internet is a bit slow, and I didn't note the "address" she mentions. Trying to skip forward just stalls the video.

17. StoneLegion

StoneLegion Captain

Here I uploaded last part:

Kassonnade likes this.
  18. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

That's original ! I just found about this Waking Titan and the links to NMS... nice cryptic enigma.

19. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Man fall asleep watching her !

Talk faster already !

Kassonnade likes this.
  20. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I think she wanted to laugh all along...