The Orville ?

Discussion in 'Other Discussion' started by Furious Hellfire, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

I just heard Seth McFarlane has started his own star trek styled sci fi series ??? Wtf call the o

The trailor was hilarious as he adds the same quick wit style comments you expect from family guy or american dad.

I think it will be good !

Premiers Sunday at 10 on fox.

2. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Heh yes, I'm quite looking forward to this one. Not sure when it'll come to the UK though.

Scoob.

3. crimsonedge885

crimsonedge885 Lieutenant

Watched 2 episodes, and thought it sucked. There hasn't been a good Sci-Fi series (IMO) since Stargate SG1.

Devilmedic likes this.
  4. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I wasn't sure initially, it was quite amusing but didn't hook me. However, I'm continuing to enjoy the episodes so far.

Scoob.

5. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

Maybe my expectations were too high. The show wasn't as sharp as I would have expected from Seth McFarlane. I'm hoping that it will improve quickly.

6. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Yeah, I agree, though it's entertaining enough. Perhaps it'll improve with maturity and the cast gelling a little better. Time will tell...assuming it gets the time....cancellation seems to come easily these days.

Scoob.

binhthuy71 likes this.
  7. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

To me, the show seemed overly cautious and too reliant on old gags. Agree that it needs to gel and I think that it also needs to find its voice.

8. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

I've heard the show catches the Trek feeling much better than ST:DISCO, but i can't tell first hand, since i haven't seen it yet.

9. xenjay

xenjay Lieutenant

Its been fun following the empyrion lives of you folks through these forums occasionally. I've been both inspired and educated by the lot of you.

I wanted to chime in on the topic;
    I've really enjoyed the show so far. It does feel a bit campy (PG Rated) at times for Seth Mcfarlane produced media. But there are some really interesting takes on some classic situations. As well as some very thought provoking topics into society and morality. And I loved when Isaac finally got an idea for its practical joke. With a presumably inflated budget for season 2, I hope the CGI will become much more prominent.

The Orville seems to take a very lighthearted approach to some very serious topics that we will face in the future and I look forward to seeing where the show goes.

10. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'm still enjoying it. They're on a space ship in the future, sure, however, they still retain much of the "office humour" I'm used to...even though the situations - and resultant situational comedy - are quite different lol. It's still sci-fi, and not bad sci-fi, but with added humour. It'll be interesting to see how it develops as the various actors become more comfortable in their roles. I will say that at times the humour, or rather a characters reaction to a situation, seems a little forced, but overall it's worth a watch.

Scoob.

11. KwC TrixX

KwC TrixX Lieutenant

It's still finding it's feet, but the humour in it is a lot more self-aware than Star Trek and honestly Star Trek is so faux that it feels way off these days. The Orville isn't trying to be in the future it's a bunch of now people in a Sci-Fi setting having a laugh with it. From that perspective it's quite good fun, just not something to take seriously ;)

12. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

seth was always a big trek fan TNG in particular, I think part of this was his need and desire to have captain picards seat xD
    live the dream as it were.
    Im sure we all had that dream or something similar.

And yes it is a lighthearted approach to sci fi, I dont imagine it will stir the imagination like star trek and the likes but for a bit of fun it looked like a laugh.
    I still have not even watched the first episode.
    Just the trailer.

Neal likes this.