The TraderNPCConfig file seems to be non editable

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gary Parkin, May 10, 2021.

1. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

I used to be able to edit the TraderNPCConfig.ecf file, do a regenerate {id} and reload traders and my new items would show up.
    What has changed? This no longer works. I'm running a custom scenario and I tried changing the traders file there and in the main folder.
    Neither file changes anything. I also tried changing the file in the scenario, updating the scenario and reloading the game but still nothing changes. This is weird.

Any suggestions please? I know I'm doing something wrong, or there was a change.
    I even tried just changing the amount of items the trader kept in inventory and that didn't work.
    I'm messing with MACorp btw, and I'm standing in front of the guy.

Tried adding junk to the beginning of the text and that doesn't show up.
    SellingText: "XXX Welcome to M.A. Corp Mining and Materials!\n<DISCOUNTTEXT>"

2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

The game will use the trader file in the scenario folder first, if there isn't one there then it will use the game's default trader file from the main empyrion content folder.

Did you put your scenario's trader file in the correct place? That's a common mistake people make.
    Does it show your changes if you make a new save game and test it there?

3. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

thanks ravien_ff, but my traders file is in Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Scenarios\scenarioName\Content\Configuration

I think I have it working. Here are my steps in case anyone else needs this:

Change the Traders file in Notepad++, and save it.
    Main Menu - Start Game (SP) - Scenario
    Choose my scenario from the left list and click Update Scenario
    Go back and quit Empyrion
    Quit Steam (steam doesn't auto update workshop files sometimes)
    Restart Steam, it will download the workshop scenario file
    Run Empyion and load in the save file (you should now be standing at the trader)
    Use ~ to get the command prompt
    Run di to get the id of station
    Run regenerate {id of station}
    Run traders reload if the above doesn't do it

The trader should be selling your new stuff.

I had forgotten that when I made the scenario, I uploaded it for my friend then I used the downloaded version to start our coop game and not the local copy. So I needed to change it, upload it then re-download it for the coop game to see it.

4. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Glad you got it working!