Thermal exhaust ports and retractable landing gear.

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Kronoss, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Kronoss

Kronoss Captain

Some items that would be nice in game are thermal exhaust ports that could be added to CV/BA. They would remove the heat penalties for heat producing devices. They should be placed outside the installation and be air tight.

Second item is retractable landing gear. Many people don't use the landing gear because it gets in the way or isn't aesthetically pleasing. I suggest the the landing gear be able to retract. Landing gear 2 and 3 could retract into the docking pad. When extended they should mitigate damage from all forms of hard landings if they hit the ground first. Retracted they would take up less space be more aesthetically pleasing and could still be used as docking pads. This would allow more compact placement in tight docking areas while allowing for a specific function. In emergencies(loss of power) they should automatically extend to protect from fall damage. They should also get an armor buff so they aren't blown off as easily.

2. ITguy1981

ITguy1981 Commander

I've been wanting retractable objects for a long time. I would like retractable landing gears. I would be nice to have retractable walkways. I would also like to have hinged ramp to act as floor and then swing down to act as a ramp like almost every boarding ramp on sci-fi ships.

3. ECubed

ECubed Commander

Would be nice if they stabilized as well. Either find semi-level land or deal with a lopsided landed ship.

4. Ballard

Ballard Captain

I would love to be able to autolevel after landing

5. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

Why would we want to waste all that lovely heat energy? We *could* reclaim it.... with, oh I don't know.... a steam engine! ;)

No, seriously, I know steam engine is a bit left field, but I really don't want to see energy wastage as part of the game.

6. ITguy1981

ITguy1981 Commander

Nothing like being in a HV or SV and you can't get out the door becuase it's crooked.

Ballard likes this.
  7. Kronoss

Kronoss Captain

Yea but in the current implementations none of the larger devices we make have any shielding and will kill us. You would think any devices we make would have that stuff built into their design. Energy attrition is part of the game treadmill and it probably won't go away.

8. Eclypseon

Eclypseon Lieutenant

Putting my two thumbs up for both Retractable Landing Gear and Auto-Leveling Landing Gear.

:):)

9. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

The generator temperature isn't really high enough to run an efficient steam cycle off of it anyway; it's probably the output of a thermal cycle already, given that the generators themselves are likely some kind of fission reactor (with stupidly low energy density, but that's another issue entirely).

Personally, I'd like to see heat flow actually modeled within a ship, but that may be straying too far into the simulation realm for many players.

Kronoss likes this.
  10. Kronoss

Kronoss Captain

Yes thermal exhaust port could be targeted with thermal imaging too(if we get this). You could detect a ships active thermal signature if it were off radar, one could say.

Eclypseon likes this.
  11. Eclypseon

Eclypseon Lieutenant

It would make lava/high temp planets an intriguing environment if the enviro temp scrambled thermal detection mechanics.

12. ldog

ldog Commander

Yes! More so the landing gear on my want list for a long time, but thermal exhausts ports just because...I mean how can you build the Death Star without a small thermal exhaust port???

13. Malekh

Malekh Commander

That was the first thing i thought of when i saw this thread. So I build a thermal exhaust port (just a small one) and immediately i have a squadron of x-wings firing proton torpedoes into it. Can't we board it up or put some plywood over it or something?

14. KnowItAllDM

KnowItAllDM Lieutenant

Retractable landing gear has been on my want list since Alpha 1.0. Right after oxygenated ships and realis tic gravity/walking in ships while in motion. Also, device groups keyd to hotbar while in cockpit and passenger seats.

Maverick241 likes this.
  15. VISION305

VISION305 Captain

Yes this please! A combination of landing gear that retracts or deploys to the right size depending on the height maps of the terrain you are on.

Maverick241 likes this.
  16. Ivellios

Ivellios Commander

Even if they still stay fully extended till you shut off all thrusters. Then fully extend first when you turn any/all thrusters on. That way it won't have to recalculate gear height incase you accidentally bump the craft's controls.

17. zztong

zztong Captain

I think that is called "cogeneration", but I don't know the real life applications and limitations.

oojimaflip likes this.
  18. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

The problem is that extracting energy from a waste heat stream generally lowers the efficiency of the upstream process (because you've effectively increased its outlet temperature). If you arrange things cleverly and have an energy extractor that is ok with working at low input temperatures and/or with a small difference between input and output temperature, then you can squeeze some extra energy out of the system.

In space, this is complicated by the fact that the primary way to get rid of waste heat in space is via radiation. Since the power radiated goes as temperature to the fourth power, decreasing the radiator temperature slightly drops the radiated power substantially. For this reason, you'd generally want to run your radiators as hot as possible (without melting them), so as to minimize the required surface area (and thus mass), and thus use as high a temperature as possible thermal source for the input to the heat engine.

Anyway, all of this was to say that trying too hard to extract useful work from waste heat might be counterproductive in some situations.

19. ion_storm

ion_storm Captain

Like the coal power plants use water for cooling, and then use the water for central heating...

zztong likes this.
  20. zztong

zztong Captain

Interesting. The geothermal HVAC system in my house dumps part of its waste heat into a preliminary hot water heater, from which my main hot water heater draws water. The HVAC keeps the water in the preliminary tank up around 90 degrees, thus the main hot water heater doesn't have to raise the temperature as much.

ion_storm and Mortlath like this.