Thrusters inside the vessel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by R4z0rbee, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

1. Won't be the first time. Th e game is in alpha. Change is always happening. I'm sure there be an uproar if the factory get replaced.
    2. Builder will work with the new mechanics as well. Some accept change others fall to dispare.
    3. Hundreds of builds are already obsolete. Some have been retrofitted others decommissioned.
    4. Some will start playing
    It's alpha things change. Some good, some bad. There's no way to really know unless you try it. If a mechanic sucks this is the time to figure it out. Fix it, enhance it, trash it or replace it with somthing totally different.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    rainyday, Pantera, Siege Inc. and 2 others like this.
  2. Fluffy

Fluffy Captain

Sadly, we already have hundreds of HV's in the workshop that no longer function after the Dev's changed how HV's operate.

Not to mention all the blueprints with pre-alpha blocks still in the workshop.

I have been wondering if the Dev's are ever going to clean out the obsolete blueprints by wiping the workshop.
    After all, all those obsolete blueprints are still taking space on the servers...

... musing complete, back on subject.

Pyston, binhthuy71 and Frankyln like this.
  3. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

The coding for it would be pretty straightforward (damage to blocks in a straight line from the end of the thruster to the bounding box of the ship) though, so it shouldn't take them that much time, and they'd likely give us a toggle for it as well (presumably they wouldn't want a repeat of the durability system outcry).

In any case, I think the thrusters were intended for exterior use; otherwise why would they have visual modeled exhaust, and distinct nozzles? Either it's been the dev's plan all along to eventually introduce thruster damage, or they were just really bad at thinking through how people would use thrusters.

4. Friendly Timo

Friendly Timo Commander

If you need to hide thrusters in your vessels I wonder why would you even need to have thrusters? Just do away with them all together. Same thing with turrets. Some may think they look ugly so let's just put them inside the cubes and have them shoot through the cubes since even an attempt at some inkling of reality is...laughable?

I do like the idea entertained here about alternative propulsion systems. Perhaps that would provide a reasonable solution.

Neal, binhthuy71 and rainyday like this.
  5. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

The issue for me is if there will be enough tradeoffs with reactionless drives to make reaction drives still useful and relevant. If they were bulkier, more massive, and drew more power compared to their exhaust-emitting counterparts, then I think I could suspend my disbelief enough to accept them.

oojimaflip likes this.
  6. ldog

ldog Lieutenant

People ragequitting over mechanics changes in an alpha is just laughable.
    It's a cheesy exploit, and yes I do it too, but when/if they make it so thrusters damage their own ship then I will adjust.
    The HV engine change was a bitch, especially when I first logged in and had no clue how to fix my HV, but I think it was for the best.

Friendly Timo likes this.
  7. kezzler

kezzler Ensign

In space engineers you can turn that function on/off from the game option list. It would be a good function for both sides since admin of any given server would decide weather it should be on or off.

geostar1024 likes this.
  8. ldog

ldog Lieutenant

And even still with it on, people build designs with internal thrusters, you just need to be a little more creative about it/build bigger, but it doesn't stop the people who are hell bent on doing it. It does cut down on the proliferation of featureless bricks a little though.

9. kezzler

kezzler Ensign

I used to work my way around that problem by learning how many blocks the jet blast would go. Easy way around by coding a rule that the jet needs to travel into space to work.

binhthuy71, geostar1024 and Neal like this.
  10. gevans

gevans Ensign

It would make sense for thrusters to exit to the outside the ship rather than inside, I mean seriously.......having the thruster's exhaust exiting inside the ship should turn that ship into one big barbecue in a very short period of time.
    I have been designing my ships with concealed engines and allowing for them with a simple block removal........to exhaust directly to the outside of the ship for a while now.

11. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Captain

A class of internal thrusters requiring a tunnel to the outside might be an intermediate solution. Internal thrusters would have 20 or so hit points to reduce the benefits of being protected, external ones would carry on as usual.

Pyston, Frankyln and Neal like this.
  12. Neal

Neal Captain

I'm ok with restricting thrusters to face outside the vessel, if there's a mor futuristic looking alternative (impulse drives from Star Trek for example), or at least have them just a glowing (maybe different colors) surface without the exhaust "fire".
    Also it would be nice if we had some sort of special effects parts that imitate various "energy" effects to be used in engineering sections or other interiors.

Pyston likes this.
  13. _Vyrus_

_Vyrus_ Lieutenant

Since you asked for opinion:
    I think it's silly, kind of dumb (until they're some kind of anti-grav-sci-fi-repulsor-system or whatever), and wait patiently for someone (devs or a modder) to remove the ability to do it.

14. StarFinder

StarFinder Ensign

We should be able to create gravity drives with the 'mass block' placed up front, and a gravity gen behind it.. like in the other game perhaps. I loved using gravity to fly.
    The thrusters could then be used for maneuvering and docking etc., not cruising from planet to moon.

Neal likes this.
  15. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

We really don't need another type of perpetual motion thruster (the current thrusters are bad enough). Plus, the gravity generator shouldn't be able to do that anyway, as it likely only operates on an object's inertial mass, rather than both the inertial and gravitational mass (note that IRL we don't know of any way to affect one type of mass without affecting the other; they're identical as far as we can tell); we know this because CVs move the same whether the gravity generator is on or off.

16. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Captain

The answer is simple, solar sails:
    sailingship-CV.png

Pyston, zztong, Neal and 4 others like this.
  17. Neal

Neal Captain

Really?
    I think we are safe to assume that we can take such matters quite easy imo.
    @StarFinder s idea is a good concept for a alternative propulsion system imo, which works without those backward looking rocket engines we currently have in the game.
    Just look at the various types of propulsion in all kinds of Sci Fi there are, i'm sure there's are some interesting and practical drive systems that could be easily implemented into Empyrion.
    I find it also astounding that there are no alternative drive methods already in the game, especially with all the possibilities we have to build ships there's a major lack of different types of technology to work with.
    Hopefully, in a couple of decades there will be some more alternatives to the current weapons, propulsion and other equipment.
    I guess we just need a little patience.

18. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

The thing is, once you abandon the requirement that a drive be based on any kind of known or projected physics, it might as well be magic. Reactionless drives, in all their forms, fall into that category (even the EM Drive, assuming it works, has an exhaust plume of sorts; it'd be about as close to the middle ground between reaction and reactionless drives that I think you could get). In order to get interesting and distinct drive systems that aren't just magic, we'd need to have a concept of propellant in-game; personally, I'd love the complexity that would introduce, but maybe others wouldn't.

Could the developers introduce more magic drives with different shapes and sizes and TWR/thrust-to-input-power stats? Sure, but they wouldn't be fundamentally different than the thrusters we already have.

oojimaflip likes this.
  19. Neal

Neal Captain

Personally, i don't care if a drive in this game is super realistic or not, as long as it makes sense and is not overpowered or too complicated. As a builder and SP mode player, i would cheer if we would got more different drive systems and i wouldn't care if they where only slightly different or just differnt looking.

If you don't want sci-fi magic, then you won't like the upcoming energy shield systems which are nothing but sci fi magic. To me, something like that would be perfectly ok, since it fits into the game and the ships we can build.
    What about the FTL drive we already have in game, isn't that already magic?
    What do you think about that?

To me Empyrion isn't a super realistic game to begin with. It is much more a game where the "rule of cool" outguns most other things anyway (as long as it makes sense to a certain extend).

The more variation we get and the more parts we have to create the things we want, the better IMO.
    I think it should left to each player to choose what kind of propulsion to use. Each one of us likes a more or less different style and that's what makes this game so great.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Pyston and binhthuy71 like this.
  20. Captain Jack II

Captain Jack II Rear Admiral

Why is it "laughable"?