Thrusters inside the vessel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by R4z0rbee, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I didn't care for that change much either, but luckily it doesn't force you to do it that way, it just 'allows' it to be done that way for people who clearly think that is more fun. I personally still make all constructors, boxes, bins, devices 'exposed' via physical walk paths that you get to, and open with "f". I dont use the PDA unless I absolutely need too.

I believe this to be a premature, and fairly childish response. Some designs may not work, but new designs can be made. Not having the vision to figure out how to make wicked ships with how the mechanics work, is not in any fault of the game.

Honestly, when I look at 'adding realism', I only think about 'realism in the sense of sci-fi'. When I see space ships in pretty much everything... they have outward facing thrusters, with flames of varying degrees of some energy/matter. Its what moves a ship around. Whenever I see ships in sci-fi settings that seemingly just 'move' with no visual indication how, I think, eh... too far fetched ;) I guess thats how I always thought of the ships in Star Trek... wheres the engines? It just moves? How is that done.

Anyhow, who knows, maybe there will be a third kind of engine added to EGS, that is more of a gravitational pulse drive, which can easily be buried in a ship to make it function. But it wouldn't be as powerful as exhaust-style thrusters.

2. Tina Pedersen

Tina Pedersen Captain

Really....... NO... i did NOT read all the comments,...
    BUT!

IF you want to make a series of vessels, that seem to operate on normally known physics, with exhaust and all.... the place yer engines where they are visible in action.

IF, you're like me, and like to make pretend, that there's some sort of antigrav engine in play, you hide the bloody things....

Locking engines, will be VERY detrimental to artistic play and creativity.....
    IF you want them to show.... place them accordingly... if not... DON'T!

Gatt, Thoder, dtmullican and 2 others like this.
  3. Pyston

Pyston Captain

Its not premature and its not childish. Its a fact. There are much better, more creative ways to solve the pvp balance issue.

As far as your interpretation of what people want and realism. This is simple. There is not a single person in these forums who was not inspired by something in sci-fi pop culture. MOST of which do not use realistic based physics in regards to how ships perform in space, hell or even the atmosphere for that matter.

This change, not only kills over 50% of the workshop submissions, it destroys creating the fantasies we all know and love. The solution is short sighted, and not even remotely thought out.

Gatt, dtmullican and rucky like this.
  4. Pyston

Pyston Captain

Sci-Fi = Science FICTION not science FACT.

Gatt, rucky, Siege Inc. and 2 others like this.
  5. Captain Jack II

Captain Jack II Rear Admiral

versus as it is now, spacecubes filled with stuff and thrusters buried within?

6. Pyston

Pyston Captain

If you recall, or actually read my posts. I agreed that thrusters should be exposed, on condition...

As far as spacecubes filled with stuff...ya, its not going to change with their implementation, in fact they are promoting it through the PDA.

Kassonnade likes this.
  7. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

This game would maybe benefit from leaving the choice to players what version they prefer to play on startup, just like Minecrap (instead of having each new update break the mods)... Aaaah, if we could use custom textures and blocks, just imagine !...

On a sidenote, if nothing is planned regarding this, why not asking the community to submit some textures to fill in these empty slots in the "texture & symbols tool" ?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  8. mid endian

mid endian Commander

haven't we already had a similar discussion with inventory and conveyors? it's been a turnoff for many of us who play Space Engineers. one of the reasons to build here is empyrion doesn't focus so much on realism where it hampers gameplay and fun.

how much realism are we willing to put up with in this game?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Gatt, malize68, rucky and 1 other person like this.
  9. Captain Jack II

Captain Jack II Rear Admiral

I read your posts and most of us agree with you that the PDA is immersion breaking, but the PDA is the only way we can quickly interact with our ships right now. It sucked without it, it's better with it, but changing it won't address burying thrusters.

Take a break, sit back and see what happens. Like a lot of things Eleon does, maybe it won't be as bad as they make it sound.

rucky likes this.
  10. Ballard

Ballard Rear Admiral

rainyday likes this.
  11. RasterOps

RasterOps Lieutenant

I would love to see that replaced with an interaction with the various consoles.

Captain Jack II and Aeri like this.
  12. ricardopr

ricardopr Commander

Im eager to see this issue of thrusters handled by the devs. Many workshop blueprints will need revisions or be obsolete? Just normal. This is a Alfa stage game yet. I even have a great time when i do revisions and readapt my designs to the new mechanics.

If engines will generate heat and this will damage blocks, please make sure it is the exhaust of the engine. I liked the idea to have a way to check if the engine has a opening to the exterior. Several sugestions have been done so far.

As for deep burried O2 tanks,fuel tanks and ammo boxes, i see nothing wrong with it. Im my ships they usualy are not burried for maintenance reasons or because they look great visible. Sometimes a fuel tank or O2 tank may be out of reach. It is nothing wrong to this, just pretend the tube that feeds them is accessible somewhere. About the PDA, somewhere in the forums was a topic about with good sugestions. Make it a placable terminal for us to access and in the future maybe we should check what is right or wrong to access by it.
    Filling the fuel, O2 and ammo is fine by me. Pretend you are feeding them by the access tubes. Unless we will have more placables related to the feeding of each, or all of the tanks and boxes.

Back on topic, Yes please, something to force the exhaust of the engines to be "looking outside" i would greatly welcome. Bet it will take time to balance and fine tuning it.

13. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

I can't say I'm thrilled about the proposed changes but I've always assumed it would happen sooner or later. I'm curious to see what the developers have in mind but this isn't exactly giving me warm fuzzies. Quite frankly if I wanted super realistic physics I'd play something like Kerbal Space Program. More interactive systems to play with would be good. Hyper realism not so much. I'm also curious to see what they have planned for Structural Integrity and if it will ever apply to ships and space stations. I suspect it will at some point. Now that would make me a very unhappy camper if it were implemented in it's current form.

You know what I do want to be more polished though.....movement. Movement when weightless or underwater(it's really really irritating at the moment with the way it bounces all over the place when you brush into something) and being able to walk around on moving ships.

Gatt and macklberry like this.
  14. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

How do you check such a thing though? Does that mean it has to be an unpressurized space? Easily done. Opening to the outside? Easily done without providing direct access to the thrusters. A certain number of spaces behind the thruster have to be clear? Still easily done without being on the outer hull. It just means a bigger enclosure for the thrusters.

dtmullican likes this.
  15. ricardopr

ricardopr Commander

True. Not a easy way to check. We will need a lot of our brains and suggestions to find a way, if it will be possible.

16. EvilDave

EvilDave Lieutenant

Sets homing to target engines

17. RasterOps

RasterOps Lieutenant

[Bird-of-Prey bridge]

KRUGE: (in Klingonese) Fire!
    (the Grissom is destroyed)
    KRUGE: (in Klingonese) I wanted prisoners!
    KLINGON GUNNER #1: (in Klingonese) A lucky shot, sir.
    (Kruge vaporises the gunner)

malize68 and EvilDave like this.
  18. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    We might add more variants of thrusters then. ;-) Maybe even completely NEW types of thrusters/engines.

19. dtmullican

dtmullican Commander

IMO, I agree....we'll see how it ends up getting implemented, and I'll pick a choice from there.

Sometimes, aesthetics for a particular ship design require not having thrusters sticking out.

Siege Inc. likes this.
  20. dtmullican

dtmullican Commander

I have a suspicion that this might be exactly what ends up happening if this is implemented. The PvP crowd will just build much bigger ships that still enclose/mostly enclose the thrusters.

Perhaps in the end, everyone will end up with giant Borg cubes with small openings in the hull to let the buried thruster exhaust out.

No matter what you do to try to enforce things the way you think they should be, there will always be those who will find a way around it.