[TOOL] [DISCONTINUED] Emp Playfield Generator (EPG) - v1.06.x

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by RexXxuS, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Jascha

Jascha Administrator

Hey,

yes you are right. There is nearly nothing to protect here (besides my bad coding ;) )
    The only thing is that EPG has some Empyrion code in it. Nothing fancy, but still its their code.
    So I need to wait for the devs to agree on it. They don't have a problem with it in general (and are even for it), but they want to change a few things before making the code public.

ravien_ff likes this.
  2. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Honestly any game developer, Most tools out there too hide there code. Simple fact. No one likes
    it if someone copy your code. Tweak some things. Call it there. Yes u can copyright it but what good
    does that do these days? Prevent a law case? Not really. The hassle, effort and cost are usaly higer then
    the outcome. I wouldnt open my code to anyone either. Specialy for the small developers around

If people dont like that simple dont use the tool. If you really want to use the tool then u have to trust it.

Monroe, jmcburn and Germanicus like this.
  3. Guardian44

Guardian44 Commander

hm, nice tool, from the looks of it, but other than starting it and fiddling around with some buttons, creating a sector from scratch is not possible or adding a sector. did i miss something from the description or video?

4. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

You need to have the playfields setup already to add stuff. Its not ment to start with nothing.
    For that u need the SSG or code things by hand

5. Guardian44

Guardian44 Commander

ok now i am the dummy, what is the SSG ? a missing tool

6. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

..\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\SolarSystemGenerator\SolarSystemGenerator.exe

A tool made by us. To make generation something from scratch easyer

The EPG tool only works when u already have all the playfields written and then want to build your solar system

7. Guardian44

Guardian44 Commander

hm created a sector with the tool, saved it, tried to open it with playfield generator, well i closes without an error, need to check this

8. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Do u have al the maps with it playfields and such?

9. Guardian44

Guardian44 Commander

ok, here is what i did, i startet the tool - SolarSystemGenerator
    used a seed - 2544115
    clicked on generate
    started the EPG and tried to load it there, maybe i missunderstood the tools

10. Guardian44

Guardian44 Commander

ok, well is there a documentation for the seed, size ?

11. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

There is no docu really. U can use any seed and any size

Just dont use Seed 0

Zip what u have - upload it then we can take a look whats wrong

12. Guardian44

Guardian44 Commander

ok found the documentation - reading it now

13. Guardian44

Guardian44 Commander

hm ok, the tool is not working properly

i try what the text says, but it is not working. so something is missing or something else. what i experienced, is that the @ key combination is not working and some other keyboard keys are also not working. i had to close the tool, to regain control of my keyboard. so something is off with the tool. the keyboard is not working.

no it is not a hardware issue, in the moment i close the application i do not get any more the windows ding sound, you get, when you press a key or combination, which is not working or locked.

[​IMG]

i cannot click anything on this area
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  14. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

I dont know what you are tyring to achieve. Only can see one screenshot.

Not everything can be used streight away. Some things need other interaction first

Watch those

Without some detailed information what you are trying to do exactly i cant help u

15. Guardian44

Guardian44 Commander

Honestly, that is bad video, he shows windows, from applications, which he had already open, not mentioning, why from where etc. then there is a cut in the video, a jump at 06:31 where the window from solarsystemgenerator changes, without the way how he got there. if i click at this point onto option his video shows, i do not have the options available he does. this continues all over the video, vital steps are missing, unnecessary blabla all the time. for starters this video has no value.

16. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

because his videos are A10 ready but work more then fine for most options in the current A9 branch

U still dont explain WHAT you are trying to do. WHAT you are trying to achieve.

Creating a own scenario isnt something u can do in 5 min. You first need to understand how the files work before u start
    into creating a scenario.

Creating something basic with default settings is done in 5 min. But then u basicly have the same as the default SP game.

Unless u explain what you want to get out of this i simple cant help u

17. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

From the Steam library, right click on Empyrion > Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files. This will put you into the main Empyrion installation folder.

From there, go to: Empyrion - Galactic Survival/Content/Scenarios. This is where the scenario you created with the SSG will show up by default. You can then open your scenarios sector file using EPG to move planets around.

EPG is only used for arranging your sector map for your custom scenario. It does not create a scenario on its own and is really just 1 piece of the workflow.

Taelyn likes this.
  18. Monroe

Monroe Commander

The "Color" button next to Type: Planet and the 'Random' checkbox next to Export Scenario on the Sector tab of the SSG aren't present for me. You can clearly see them in these videos, which were recently posted. What am I missing? How do I get those buttons? I am on Experimental Branch.

19. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Alpha 10 stuff

The General Idea of the video can be used already :)

20. Guardian44

Guardian44 Commander

ok, so again maybe i missunderstood the intention or goal of the tool. creating a solar system so far so good, but then there is this point, where you can change or alter the position of the planets, so that it fits your intentions. the problem i mentioned with the one screenshot is, that it says

"Click to select a start sector, then alt-cr-clic a desired destination to see a path"

but in this screen/window there is nothing clickable. also sometimes when you use or move a scroll bar, the action is simultaniously transferred to the map itself and vis versa. also the application catches specific key actions, even when minimized or not on top. just to mention.

From what i managed so far, i created a system, but i cannot arrange the planet position, this also why i said, there is something missing or left out in the video. before 06:31 in the video he is on one screen of the tool, with 06:31 he switches to a different view, but when i do this, i do not have his options, so the there is something missing or he is doing something, i cannot follow or do.