[TOOL] Empyrion Playfield Designer v2.43.0 EXP (Empyrion V1.11.x compatible)

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by jmcburn, May 5, 2018.

1. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

UPDATE (v1.94.9 b2704) is out

Added persistent preflight log and moving of mutiple selected items in lists. Also some bugfixes.

Download:
    https://empyriontools.org

/jmc

2. remeey

remeey Commander

Ok so i keep getting this when i downloaded the new epd Annotation 2020-01-07 203104.png
    ANd this after i save a file and try to reopen and edit it any help ?
    err.png

3. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Thx for the report.

Could you please upload the playfield file that causes the serialization error. If it's a random playfield, please upload both files (static and dynamic).

For the log error:
    Two possible reasons.
    1. On a first start, when EPD imports the prefabs, sometimes you can already work in EPD, although the import process is not finished yet. Then the import thread might access the log the same time as the main UI application. This could cause this issue.

2. If the log error is recurring:
    Might be possible that there is still an old instance of EPD running in the background. Sometimes EPD does not close properly and stays in the background. I'm investigating this issue.
    For now, open Taskmanager and tak a look if EPD is still running and kill all running EPD tasks.

/jmc

4. remeey

remeey Commander

ok here you go

Attached Files:

5. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Thx, but the playfield opens just fine on my end without any error. Strange.
    Do you have the latest version of EPD? Tried with 1.94.9 and seems to work for me.

EDIT: this is an unmodified file (not edited with EPD). Do you have the one you edited with EPD and can't be opened anymore after saving?

The log seems to be the log from the EPD mod (gamefolder/content/mods/epd), right? Do you also have the logfile found in EPD app main folder under /logs.

/jmc

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  6. remeey

remeey Commander

ill make a short video on it soon so you can see what's happening

jmcburn likes this.
  7. esditas

esditas Ensign

jmcburn likes this.
  8. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Homepage link is a typo, fixed it. b2704 is the latest version. :)

Hmm, I can't reproduce this. Would indeed be interesting what causes this issue. I just tested again and even if I already work in EPD, edit, save, ... while the bluprint import is still in progress on first start, the log seems to be fine for me. No errors.

What I usually do, though, is to delete the config folder and the logs folder, when I start using a new version.
    I also delete user.dat in the data folder.

Those files get re-created anyway on first start and may be conflicting if you just copied a newer version of EPD over an old one.

Maybe this could be causing issues before the logfile exists, thus leading to log errors.
    Just some thoughts. Other than that I would need a repro case to fix this.

/jmc

9. remeey

remeey Commander

All right here is the video of the set up and the errors i am getting I hope it helps you to see the issue you can fast forward past some of the talking if you like

https://player.twitch.tv/?autoplay=false&video=v532922170

This was a fresh install of the tool by the way.

10. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Thx a lot for the video, but did the exact same steps now (although my dedicated folder structure looks a bit different than yours), and it simply does not happen. What I saw though, is that you're already working in EPD while the progress bars of the bluprint import are still running. This could cause issues.

Please upload the logfile found in EPDs folder under /logs/epd.log.
    Not sure, if there's something useful in there, but worth taking a look. Maybe I can at least isolate, at wich part of the startup code it's happening.

After you uploaded the epd.log here, could you please try and retest it with the Emyprion game exe instead of the dedidacted server. Just to make sure, it's not something in the folder structure.

If you do this, close EPD, delete config folder, logs folder and ONLY user.dat file from /data folder.

Maybe that way I can find what's causing this.

Another possibility, although you unblocked EPD.exe from your AV, maybe some dll got deleted.
    This is the exact size the EPD folder should have after extraction from zip (and before starting it of course):
    2.388 files, 18 folders
    Size: 479,495,267 Bytes
    Size on Disk: 484,159,488 Bytes

But a lot more interesting to me would be to find the yaml deserialization error. ;) Could you zip up that whole folder of playfield 'Breel' (I think) I saw in the video. Maybe I can find this when I have all the files and EPD backups.

Thx a lot. :)

/jmc

11. remeey

remeey Commander

Here is the log file you requested i will try the other later today :D

Attached Files:

• epd.log
      File size:
      180.1 KB
      Views:
  12. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Thx, that was really helpful. :)

The Yaml serialization issue happens on reading the new PlayerArmor property. Should be fixed in next version.

The log error seems to come from importing the blueprints.
    Although there are a lot of Zip errors in the log, those are expected and only debug outputs, but between those there are a few errors that do not look ok.

So, there might be some bluprints in your folder(s) that don't seem to work with my EPB reader. That's quite possible and might happen, as the EPB format has changed a lot over the years and there's no official documentation about it. So my import parser routine might not be able to read some of the versions correctly.

Could you upload this prefab, please:
    Empyrion - Dedicated Server\Content\Scenarios\Crowfoot Universe\Prefabs\CFG2 Outpost Alpha.epb

But for the log error itself, for now, this should not really be an issue anyway, except for a little annoyance. :)
    But I'll try my best to find the cause.

/jmc

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Monroe likes this.
  13. remeey

remeey Commander

Ok here you go

Attached Files:

14. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

UPDATE (v1.95.0 b2713) is out

Fixed YAML deserialization error in PlayerArmor property and some EPB file parser issues. Also removed some debug logs to free up time for other threads in LogWriter. Maybe this fixes or improves the 'log error' issue, as not so much log entries get emitted at the same time on first start of EPD.

@remeey @esditas
    Could you please retry if something got impoved about the log error on your end with this version.

Download:
    https://empyriontools.org

/jmc

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    remeey, Taelyn, esditas and 1 other person like this.
  15. esditas

esditas Ensign

Same issue on my side but i think the problem is win10 or software on my side. ive test 2 older versions of your great tool...also the same! ive test a other computer (Win7) work without err. Sorry when i waste your time. Thank you for the good work!

jmcburn likes this.
  16. remeey

remeey Commander

All right bud that fixed the issue were i couldn't reopen my playfields after i edited them and saved them only thing left is the log error that pops up saying its already running at least now i can use it again to edit yamals thank you for the tool and great work :D :thumbsup

jmcburn likes this.
  17. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

So what I'm going to do now about the error log message, is to simply remove it completely. :D

The error message won't help you as a user anyway and for me I will just write an internal debug log instead of displaying the error message.

That way the message should be gone for good in the next version. :)

/jmc

remeey, esditas and ravien_ff like this.
  18. Fenra369

Fenra369 Commander

New bug discovered:

Issue when generating the list of POISpawnnear entities while editing a POI. Ideally, the list should only show the POIs which appear above the POI you are editing. This works as intended. However! If you place two POI entries of the same group name in different orders, only the POI with the highest order is checked for available POIs to spawn near.

19. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Thx for the report, but this is known issue respectively a limitation of what I can do atm.

I can only check for groupname in the POI list to see where the currently editing POI is, so when I encounter the same groupname as the currently edited, I need to cancel the search on first occurence of the current groupname to be on the safe side.

Maybe I can refine this behaviour in the future, but I'm not sure. Getting it to this stage was already a big endeavour.

/jmc

20. esditas

esditas Ensign

Hello I have another problem. If I get the SpaceOrbitStarter edit (only Description change) after that

ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: source

EPD log is clean (use another PC with Win7)

I attach my Files.

i'm not sure if it is my mistake maybe you can help.

Thanks for the great program and your time!

Attached Files:

• err.zip
      File size:
      36.4 KB
      Views: