[TOOL] Empyrion WheresMyStuff - Fix Vanished Ships and Bases

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by byo13, Jan 12, 2021.

1. byo13

byo13 Captain

Empyrion WheresMyStuff - Fix Vanished Ships and Bases

This little tool will attempt to fix ships and bases that disappeared from your game.
    More importantly it will search for every suspect entity and list them for you to recover.

Note that even after the tool fixes your stuff it may still be located in an invalid position.
    So you must travel to it yourself and recover your disappearing stuff. ;-)

Still if you go to that position and see only a mark with the name and nothing else then the structure is broken and can't be fixed here. Sorry.

Tested in v.1.3+ (vanilla and Project Eden)

upload_2021-2-10_17-59-25.png

The tool will only update the database (global.db) to "unremove" your stuff.
    You could use this to check your ships/bases from time to time.
    If nothing is found to be fixed then there's nothing to worry about. ;)

If you have any suggestions or bugs to report, feel free to reply here and I'll take a look.
    Thanks a lot.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  2. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Two days ago, I encountered the bug when I loaded my current save game, just to notice that on my CV two of the docked SVs where missing. Looking at the registry I could see them as if they where in the same playfield with me CV, but ents command did not show them at all. Since I awlays have a backup copy of the progress, I just loaded the "Save game" transfer tool of yours and coppied the two "missing" SVs from the backup save game to the current one.

For both coppies, I recieved the notification window that "the entinty exists in the current save game" also asking me if I want to overwritte it and I pressed "Yes". So loading again the save game after the copies of the vessels I had my vessels repositioned close to my CV and I just docked them. So I do not think that this tool "Where is my ships" is actually needed. On the other hand if you really think it is needed, have you considered merging them into one tool?

byo13 likes this.
  3. Darinth

Darinth Commander

Not everybody is as diligent about keeping backup saves. Also, it's possible that a missing ship might not have been noticed initially.

byo13 likes this.
  4. byo13

byo13 Captain

Thanks for the opinions, guys.
    Indeed the reason for this tool was very specific for me.
    If you have a lot of bases and ships and they're not visited often, the only way for you to know that something's missing is to travel back to each and every one of them.
    This tool will list every vanished base/ship at once and allows you to bring them back (or attempt to bring them back).

It's not only meant to address bugs but the game has its way of cleaning entities after some time, which is good. For instance, you core a POI and then forget to retrieve the core after the loot. So you may choose things to keep in the list and things to let the game do its cleaning. :D

Kassonnade likes this.
  5. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Well you can make tha backup after you notice something is missing. So the copy can still work. After all the copy and this tool will not work if the vessel is not found in the data base at all. They must be in the database but not visible in any playfield, to be either copied, by the transfer tool, or recovered by this tool.

byo13 likes this.
  6. byo13

byo13 Captain

Yes, they must be in the database.
    But from my experience they never get erased from database. They are marked as removed or dead.
    This solves 100% of the issues I used to have with missing stuff.
    And every now and then I run the tool to see if everything is still there.

Before this, I had to:
    1. Notice something missing;
    2. Find the entity id internally because you can't just point to a vanished ship with "di" and see the debug info to get the id. It doesn't even show itself in the "ents" command list.
    3. Then update the ship's info and make it reappear.

Step #2 was particularly annoying. :)

Myrmidon likes this.
  7. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

For me #1 is tha hard part and very annoying. :D The #2 is easily found with the "transfer tool" of yours. Well, I do not say one tools is better than the other. I find it more easy and simple for me to use one tool and it does the two jobs perfectly. Thank you though for "Where is my stuff" tool. Who knows, I may be in a situation in the future that I might need specially this one.:)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    byo13 likes this.
  8. byo13

byo13 Captain

v0.3
    ADDED: The playfield name will now be visible so you know where your stuff is after fixing it (see image in the main post)
    CHANGED: Some assets organization
    CHANGED: Message to inform the user nothing is wrong has been improved​

Myrmidon likes this.