[Tool] ePDA - Empyrion PDA helper v1.291

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by Exacute, Aug 4, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steenhole

steenhole Lieutenant

I've been working with MP since initial 5.0, and this is the first documentation I've seen about the role that scenario structure plays in MP now. I assumed it was an optional feature for controlling content not a "vital to the function of custom servers" change that it seems to be now.

2. RexXxuS

RexXxuS Rear Admiral

Yes, as I said. Make sure you have set the new location in the dedicated.yaml.

The game will only pull from the default, if you reference in your scenario something default.
    For example you made a separate scenario but calling the "Epsilon" POI. That one will be pulled from the Content/Prefabs folder so you don't have to copy over all the default .epb files into your scenario.
    The game is smart enough to detect what is coming from you and what from the default setup.

No, savegames are 1:1 transferable. However there are some obstacles like the dedicated.yaml and the client caches (of terrain, bp and IP).

I know stepping in the Multiplayer world isn't easy and if I had more time I could make better, easy to understand content but it isn't the end of the tunnel.
    There are already a lot of tips, tutorials and help out there.

For example here:
    http://empyriononline.com/threads/read-first-alpha-6-0-faq-for-mp-customization-scenario.11204/
    and here:
    https://empyrion.gamepedia.com/Customizing_Solar_Systems

The thing is: you have to be patient and really the will to learn all that stuff. Yeah it's only a game and it should be a "Start / Play" button, right? Nope. Good stuff needs work and effort. That is how life works.
    In my 4056+ hours into Empyrion I spent over 3500 hours in try and error in learning everything, I mean really everything in that game.

I have some plans in creating a knowledge database soon. So not everyone have to be that crazy.

RexXxuS

Exacute likes this.
  3. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

For some reason after this latest update I can no longer create a new chapter nor can I save any edits. Happen to have the old version handy?

4. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

That sounds really weird.. Can you please send me your pda.yaml, pda.csv in a message?
    I'll upload an older version to google drive later, when I'm by the data

5. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

I just used the default multiplayer pda file from 6.6.1. It loaded it but I noticed it wouldnt create a new chapter on click with the check box checked or not. I though ok... I'll edit an existing one... Saved and saw a fast blip about an error as it spat out the yaml and the csv in new tabs then error message was gone. Edit was there in the yaml and csv in browser but it did not save to the target. Changed the target to dawn of the galaxy and reloaded reload went fine same issue. Would not create a new chapter (circle bubble) for nothing. Now i did see once in a while that if I clicked a lot while checking and unchecking the create new box the darn thing would glitch and send the balls flying out to the edges. I also copied the multiplayer to a new scenario folder and same issue. Now this IS on a different machine... I re-installed my laptop yesterday which had windows 10 on it and I am using my desktop currently for most editing. It has windows 7. Again fresh copy of firefox too. I do not normally use it.

6. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

Hey Keith,

So. It turns out there were a slight bug in handling more than three languages, in regards to the bubble view specifically. That will be fixed in 1.04.
    For the saving you are talking about:
    -The error is perfectly normal, aslong as it goes away and gets replaced. It's essentially a placeholder, that gets overwritten, if it works properly. Not pretty, but only way to give the error reliable, *IF* something does go wrong :) (Such as 'you' refreshing the page)
    -The non-saving part: Ofcourse it doesn't. You are using the *Doesn't save automatically* approach (config option). You have to, as mentioned in the main post, copy and paste these manually to save. Alternatively, you can use the executable, and have it auto-save :) (If you aren't comfortable with using the config.txt to configure it, you can use the emp_configuration.html instead. This will step by step guide you through the options)

I'll be releasing the 1.04 later. Just thought to let you know.

7. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

8. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Hey,

Nice tool! Was waiting for something like this :)

Some problem however. If u have uploaded your scenario to steam it gets a funny number like testscenario__123456
    If i use that as scenario folder the tool will not load the PDA. It says something is wrong with your path. If i only use the testscenario
    it wont load either since there is no such map :)

Taelyn

Exacute likes this.
  9. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

10. SixxGunZ

SixxGunZ Commander

For some reason I can't get any scenario to load or it's not taking my base path config setting. Either way I cannot use this, any help on troubleshooting would be appreciated.

**EDIT

Got 'Er Done I can access it. However now no matter what Scenario i load - custom or stock it will not allow me to edit the PDA. I'm using firefox / copy of invader vs defender and stock invader vs defender.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  11. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

Hi Sixx,

I need a little more information, before I can help you :)
    Which of the two save methods are you using? Do you run it from the executable, or when you click 'save', does it open two tabs in your browser?
    If the latter, you need to *manually copy* the text into the files (as you have choosen not to auto-save)
    If it's the first. Could you please look at the output in the executable, and send me a picture of it?

-Exa

12. SixxGunZ

SixxGunZ Commander

Give me a few minutes to wake up and I'll do you one better and send you a video

13. SixxGunZ

SixxGunZ Commander

14. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

Hi Sixx,

Thank you for the video. I see now. It seems to properly load the scenario (as it reads the playfields)
    All your settings should be correct.
    Can you please confirm for me, that the extras/PDA/PDA.yaml actually have any content in the 2invader vs defedner" you are using?
    The blank view suggests that it is empty :)

Ideally, if you can send me the PDA.yaml, and PDA.csv, if it have content.

Also. Did you at any point get the bubbles/content into the PDAView? Or have it been blank the entire time?

And lastly: If it does have content (the PDA.yaml, PDA.csv) please also press ctrl+shift+i, in firefox. This should bring up a window, with one of the tabs named "console". Can you copy the text there for me? :)

-Exa

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  15. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

Hi Sixx,

Scratch that last message. I tried reproducing your steps, and using the same scenario as you did.
    A minor importing error was happening. It should be fixed in 1.06.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By5UTthBQGBrMDY5RzJfQWNuaU0
    This should fix the error.
    (You will only have to replace the emp_main.html, with the new one from the download. No other changes)

-Exa

16. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

17. SixxGunZ

SixxGunZ Commander

sweet, i'll give it a try in a bit here - glad to know i wasnt going crazy lol

Exacute likes this.
  18. SixxGunZ

SixxGunZ Commander

Works like a charm btw! Awesome work man, I've been waiting a long time for something to edit the PDA. Those are the 2 most tedius files to edit if you don't know what you're doing, and I'm barely starting to dabble in it but with everything else on my plate don't have time to do. And now your tool makes it possible lol! This is totally something I can use to edit my custom scenario / pda in my spare time from all my other server work. I host currently 6 game servers on 2 dedicated machines and albiet my conan server is more populated I feel like I don't spend as much time as i should customizing the EGS server :( This is definately a game changer for folks, kudos to you sir.

Exacute likes this.
  19. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, it can be quite time-consuming to edit by hand -- And it requires a lot of previous knowledge.
    Happy editing ;)

20. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

Sorry I havent said anything in a while as I have been playing ark lately. TY for all the awesome work on this tool!! Im glad to hear youve been tracking down and fixing it as time goes on. Really with all the tools that have been released its become a LOT easier to run servers and make changes. As a server owner and manager of a community I really can't thank you guys for what you do enough :). We can have a lot more fun with the game thanks to developers and community contributors like you, rexxus, jcm and many of the others! I dont think this game would have made it as far without you all!!

jmcburn and Exacute like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.