[TOOL] eWSSC | Empyrion Web Solar System Creator

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by RexXxuS, Dec 1, 2019.

1. RexXxuS

RexXxuS Rear Admiral

To help you here, I would need the Sectors.yaml.
    Or your log output. What does the exception is telling you in the log?

Ephoie likes this.
  2. RexXxuS

RexXxuS Rear Admiral

16.01.2020 | v1.5.1

• Redesigned buttons for a better user experience and more appealing consistent design.

You have to press F5 (reload the page) every time a patch comes out to apply the changes.

ravien_ff and Ephoie like this.
  3. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

Yay!
    Awesome to see the progress of another great tool for the modder community!
    Thanks @RexXxuS

RexXxuS likes this.
  4. D33Ps

D33Ps Ensign

:confused:... where can I find the log please ?

Here soon the sector.yaml file

5. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

in the log folder, labeled logs.... :p
    (Your Drive Name)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Logs\2774

6. remeey

remeey Commander

7. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

OH.... Where did you find that? *wink wink*

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    remeey likes this.
  8. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

I want to thank you, @RexXxuS and your tool, as well as one of the devs, Dave, once again for the help.
    EWSSC does a great job of identifying what issues (errors) can be found in the YAML, along side the https://yamlchecker.com/ for pointing out where the errors are.
    I had a huge problem with my sector file. Players were getting CoQs, and told me the problem made the server unplayable. This went on for a while, with no definite end in sight.
    I had emailed the dev team as it was mind boggling at first. After a few days of back and forth, and sending in my scenario for producibility. , 'Dave the Dev' had pointed out that the game was reading certain playfields as suns, and since they were playfields, it was causing a CoQ. I was ready to pull my hair out with all the work I had put into it recently... and about to give up/start-over with my scenario.

But, I figured I would run the sector file through your app, in hopes it would just fix it.... It did not just magicly do that... It did not like my file. Not at all....
    The EWSSC told me key points though that helped to address the conflict.
    After multiple runs, multiple log reads, and plenty of tweaks, I got it back into a functional state.
    #relief

Having the EWSSC to point out how the game was interpreting the sector.yaml file really gave me a deeper understanding of how the underlying mechanics worked. That allowed me to target exactly where the issues were, and correct them. Had you not have created this work of technical GUI genius, I would be a sobbing mess. Awesome stuff!

If anyone ever has an issue with their game setup, please feel free to message me, as I have done a whack load of troubleshooting over the past few months with the new galactic star map, among other playfield related issues.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    RexXxuS and ravien_ff like this.
  9. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Ephoie likes this.
  10. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

Myrmidon likes this.
  11. D33Ps

D33Ps Ensign

Here I am, after some Pc's upgrades =)

Thanks for help ! After some reflexion, I checked the file name.... change it and voila ! step by step we can do it :D
    Now must change a little the solar sun, they are far from each group of playfield as you can see !

There is no folder 2774 :eek:

Attached Files:

12. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

Then it will be the log folder with the highest number. Probably 2772?
    I am using the experimental branch, so my build number is currently 2774.

13. D33Ps

D33Ps Ensign

Hello there, just in case, the last log file. sectors.yaml is attached in zip file on last post.

So, let's do the check up:

- Generating map / sectors with some custom parameters *done*
    - Making some change with eWSSC with the sector.yaml *done*
    - Finding why it don't launch the scenario (wrong name file for sectors file) *done*

Now, I must learn, how fix the sun issue ( 3 solar system with 1 sun each, but they are not in the "center" of my planet/playfield)

Next step is to learn the tutorial about the customised POI to add it on my scenario, set my starters planets and adjust some details. (If I am right I must edit each playfield ?)

Thanks you again everybody

Attached Files:

14. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

If you want, I would be happy to do a video chat over discord and go through all the things you want to accomplish.
    Send me a DM, and we'll get started. I'm off of work for the next few days.

15. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

So this tool - it's really great, and the video certainly helps, but I am scratching my head very hard right now trying to figure a few things out that just don't quite seem to either be working, or I'm not understanding how to do, or require additional tools to do.

I can start with a blank universe, create solar system after solar system just fine.
    I can import play fields just fine.
    I can export the sectors.yaml (sometimes it wants to export it as .yml instead, but no biggie, I can fix that).

So here's the process I went through:

I created a new, empty "Scenario Template" folder. In that I created the following folder structures:

+ Configuration
    +Extras
    - PDA
    + Playfields
    + Prefabs
    + Sectors

I also created a blank description.txt and a preview.jpg that is just a nice background image.

After fiddling for a while, laying out my universe, I exported the sectors.yaml into the Sectors folder in my scenario folder. So far, so good.

I decided I wanted to take a peek at what I'd made, so I fired up Empyrion, started a New Game, choose Scenarios, and there is my new custom scenario. I select that. There's my description at the top, my background image, and a bunch of generic-seeming text about different planet types I haven't yet figured out how to change.

My only option as a starter world is Akua, which is not a planet in my universe. First clue something isn't quite right. Perhaps I need to use a PlanetType_Starter for at least one of my new worlds, I haven't tried that just yet, as some other things came to mind:

1. Since I've laid out all these playfields, how do I go about customizing them at this point? If I want to fiddle with the topography, geography, raise or lower the sea level - I don't see a way to do this.

2. If I want to hand-place a POI, how do I go about doing that?

This is probably the biggest question of all, and directly at Rex - since you were able to whip up what looks and feels like a fantastic tool for doing this, can you also:

Create tools for playfield editing in a similar manner, that is, web-based and interfaced like this, even if they have to be linked to a new browser window, and could you link that into this tool, by say, double-clicking on a planet to launch the playfield editing interface?

Ephoie likes this.
  16. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

@jmcburn has taken the time to make such a wonderful thing.
    Download here: https://empyriontools.org/download/
    Thread here: https://empyriononline.com/threads/tool-empyrion-playfield-designer-alpha8-v1-95-0-exp.37581/

You got discord? I can help to walk you through such things too.

ravien_ff likes this.
  17. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

For editing playfields, you can do it manually, or you can use EPD:
    https://empyriononline.com/threads/tool-empyrion-playfield-designer-alpha8-v1-95-0-exp.37581/

If you're just starting out editing scenarios, I'd recommend starting out by editing an existing scenario first, before making one from complete scratch.

Look at the default Akua-Omicron scenario for an example. Copy the entire folder to a new one, rename it to something else, and then use eWSSC to do some basic edits to it and make sure it works.

Ephoie likes this.
  18. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

19. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Ok, so I do need the files from the Playfields folder. I was thinking I might, but wasn't sure there.

This is a very convoluted process with too many disconnected tools. lol
    I'm use to working with multiple tools - I've had to do this for a lot of games to make custom content and the like, so it's nothing new, just this is the most disconnected thing I've ever dealt with, and I thought creating new, interactive objects for the Sims was overly complicated!

I'll keep plugging away, and sooner or later I'll get something working! Count on more questions as I go.

20. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

Hit me up if you need a hand.... we can do a one on one call to go through anything.