"TPM Connector"... info please...?

Discussion in 'Other Discussion' started by Tyrax Lightning, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Mom's Build's Motherboard has something called a "TPM Connector", & tried looking it up here... but even after reading it am still not clear on what it'd do for my Mom's Build & if it'd be worth the trouble to try to Integrate into Mom's Build... would it be as good or better then stuff like Roboform or Lastpass, or such? Could use some help understanding it.

Many thanks for your time. :)

2. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  3. Tyrax Lightning

AKA can be safely ignored & disregarded?

No complaints here. I'm lucky Dad doesn't know how much Mom's Build has cost to get built as is. Ended up also having to get her some 60 buck 5.1 Speakers as well cause the monitor she picked out, she failed to notice it had no Integrated Speakers like my Monitor has... she just took it for granted it had'em. I keep trying to warn her over & over & over & over & over & over that...

TECHNICAL DETAILS MATTER!!!

>_<

4. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

Yep yep.

5. Tyrax Lightning

Sweet. Guess this Thread's job is done then hilariously fast. :D

Jᴧgᴧ likes this.
  6. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

Trusted Platform Module: To be linked to security systems, like encrypt the drive with Bitlocker. Often used on company computers.

7. Tyrax Lightning

& Mom's Computer is just a Home PC.

8. Spirit_OK

Spirit_OK Captain

TPM is good when you're really paranoid. "Trust is a weakness", "Everything that can be hacked is already hacked", "Corps are gathering data from our toilets", that kind of thing.

If you consider HDD internal cryptography non-existent and don't trust software Bitlocker just a little bit (its Microsoft made!), you may put your faith in the separate device that defends your deciphering keys from other parts of the system.
    But that stands true only as long as you can make your own TPM device from commercially available electronic parts. When they start to cook the chips in a factory as they do now, all the value is lost - you just do not know what backdoors the chip holds and who exactly has the red button to overheat and burn all the computers in the world remotely o_O

Nevertheless, a casual home user is safe with just the usual login-password and enabled UAC most of the time.

As for the monitor speakers - they can double as microphones and they don't have a physical switch like most 2.0+ standalone speakers have. Beware! o_O

9. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

They can have what's in mine - I'll even gift wrap it for them. No TPM required.