Transfer Items, and Players to new Server?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer Meeting Room' started by Fraser, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Fraser

Fraser Commander

Hello

Apologies if this has been asked before, I tried looking I didn't see the answer I was looking for.

With the Update 8.0 coming, and potential to have to wipe my Server, I am wondering is there a way of transferring players characters over from Old to new maintaining their inventories?

And is this also possible with CV and SV keeping their items such as ammo?

(I am aware of the players folder in the Save directory, but will these work if the planet no longer exists anymore)

2. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

I would not try to port players - rather blueprint, and announce a server wipe. A wipe is better, and you can "donate" materials to players who return after a restart.

Fraser, monktk and Jᴧgᴧ like this.
  3. Fraser

Fraser Commander

Ok thank you for your advice, I'm thinking of messing with the Planets before I let the players on so It probably makes sense for them to just start a fresh.

4. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator

This...to many things that can go wrong AND thats if the player based items (ie tech tree) stays the same.

As mentioned, rather support returning players by giving them starter packages with res

5. Fraser

Fraser Commander

Thanks SilvRav I'm convinced now what I should do.

It might take me longer to setup but at least i'll be safe in the knowledge that It should be more stable.

6. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

I used to moderate on a minecraft server that almost never did resets, they would go for a whole year, it was really hard to keep it all hanging together. I'll not help anyone do that kind of hanging on strategy again. Although it was cool, to not have a reset, it was a lot of work for the actual admins.
    I moderated for a short while on a EGS server, and can attest, that helping people out with free resources and give everyone a free class 3 starter CV is much less work. Just be fair, give about a week of warning, and the players will love you.