tried SP game with volume/weight turned on....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CaptRiker, Feb 14, 2019.

1. CaptRiker

CaptRiker Lieutenant

I didn't mind so much with CV's.. easy to add alot of extensions for decent carry capacity... although energy use per extension for cv/bases needs to be lowered (ALOT). I absoluetly HATED the carry capacity for my SV builds.. hated, I mean H A T E D.. I don't like building huge SV's but even being able to bring back a small haul of loot from a poi is impossible now w/o a size TWENTY sv lol.. Devs needs to increase SV cargo extensions #'s by at least a factor of 10. As it stands now, if volume check is required on a server -- I will not play on that server. I love the logistics system for moving items but seriously HATE the weight/volume system.. I stop'd playing fallout 76 due to tiny storage space -- spending more time trying to keep my char's weight down and doing inventory mangement in a HEAVY LOOT game..

oh and seriously WTF? golf clap on changes to block HP.. all builds but borg cubes are wet paper bags doing even small poi's. Someone smoking crack on the dev team lately? Talk about taking a fun to play again and wrecking it :(

Fenra369 and playlessNamer like this.
  2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

That would make SVs vastly, overwhelmingly superior for storage compared to CV/BA. I'm also unsure why you would need a size class 20 SV to haul the loot from 1 POI. What kind of POI were you hauling so much loot from? I want some of that!

Sofianinho and Ann|e Noa|m like this.
  3. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

You're not meant to haul massive CV devices in an SV. That's like trying to stick a building on the back of a pickup truck. It's just ain't gonna fly; Both figuratively and literally.
    Nothing's stopping you from making a dedicated 18-wheeler of an SV using ultra-light materials and minimalist design for hauling the big stuff. But don't expect it to be any use in a fight.
    Gone are the days of a do-everything fighter with the carrying capacity of an aircraft carrier. Where you make one SV and you're done making ships for good.

4. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I'm currently playing my first game with weights and volumes enabled.

Early game was...well, largely unchanged once I realised the player inventory has no weight limit. Mining resources at this early stage wasn't a problem either. I've always tended to get just enough to get me started of each Ore, and I managed that without issue.

Once I built my first HV and linked the storage, this transformed my Ore mining ability of course. So, my first HV felt even more useful than it did before - a nice feeling of progression.

Where I did notice the capacity - both volume and weight - limitations more was when I began looting and salvaging wrecks. Many items take up MUCH more volume than their actual dimensions would suggest, so while blocks or devices might have the exact same 2x2x2 metre dimensions, they can take up VASTLY different volumes, which I wasn't expecting. I'm guessing some sort of sci-fi "cargo compression" is going out else why would a heavy block of a given size take up more volume than a light one of the exact same dimensions?

Anyway, it was when looting the all important Thrusters from a crashed CV that I had to hugely expand my HV's cargo volume and lifting capacity. So, as a result, I've created quite a monster of a Hauler HV, which I actually find quite cool lol.

So, I've had a bit of pain getting what I need to build my first CV, but once I have it my hauling options improve hugely. It's a bit of a learning curve, and there are still a few issues to be ironed out, but I'm liking what volumes and weights (yes, I know it's really mass, but that's what Eleon called it) adds to the game.

Scoob.

5. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Ask me about the ability of SV to carry Big things... given .. I built my first and only Transport a bit too big but it does it job - The pictures shows it still able to fly and maneuver reasonably and with about 188to lift off weight (118to empty)

Novo Provinces_2019-02-08_08-47-16.png

Ann|e Noa|m and ravien_ff like this.
  6. Dred_

Dred_ Ensign

So do you think I should restart with weight? I Always found it stipid to not have weight restrictions.

I did not build a CV yet but I want more of a challange from single player and am thinking to restart with weight.

I like the idea of building specialized cargo ships.

7. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Captain

Who does that? 3/4 of the fun is building stuff.
    Sure, you can only operate 1 vehicle at a time, but building is what this is all about!

8. May Rears

May Rears Lieutenant

Should a Cessna 152 be able to carry as much as a C130?

9. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I've been hauling quite a lot of super-heavy stuff - so, Constructors, Furnaces and CV Thrusters - in my (once upon a time) "light" HV. Early-game I looted quite a lot of stuff that I'd either use, or later recycle for components once I unlocked the tech. The first version of my HV wasn't up to the task of course, but it eventually became very much a heavy-hauler with lots of cargo, extra thrusters, more hover engines etc. I quite enjoyed the progression. Basically, you can scale up HV to be pretty large, but it become a bit inefficient vs. a basic CV.

Once I got my first CV however - largely due to the parts I'd managed to salvage - I was playing in a different league. Even a relatively cheap and light CV is vastly superior to an HV which, once again, I felt was great progression.

What I would LOVE to see in the game, and I've proposed this in the past, likely a couple of years ago now, is for us to get Large block Hovers. So, the ability to build huge land yachts with Capital-Class Hover Engines. I'd love the progression this would give, going from small HV to large HV that has the ability to house smaller HV's and SV's aboard as well as BA/CV class devices. Great for a custom game set on a larger planet where you can roam the surface in a mobile base, much more fuel efficient than a CV.

Scoob.

10. Vergas

Vergas Ensign

TAll trees and big rocks are the enemy of an HV.

11. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Just pop harvest modules on the front and it'll chew through those. Also, I'd envisage that a Large Block HV would likely have the mass to mow down trees. Also, if things were to scale up accordingly, the hover height could be much higher than the current three metres - I'd suggest nearer 16 metres hover height to scale with the block size.

Scoob.

ravien_ff likes this.
  12. NimrodX

NimrodX Commander

I also just recently restarted with the volume limits enabled. I decided I'd give it a try once they implemented dynamic grids and started trying to fix that issue.

I haven't been able to build a CV yet but yea the main thing I'm noticing is that a regular sized SV can barely carry anything. I need a larger HV for mining but at least that still works OK (I can mine several deposits before full). an SV or HV with the same capacity as my miner can't haul much and an SV often can't lift off at all.

Trying to carry off everything in a POI is impossible without a large transport HV or SV, especially if you're trying to carry off stacks of blocks.

All of this makes accumulating building materials go slower in the early game. Once I get a CV I'd imagine this would mostly be fixed.

13. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

I'm saying that having one ship that does everything and costs nothing is bad. And... you're agreeing with me, but phrasing it like i'm saying the opposite?

As for who does that? The people who make these threads and complain about the game every time something new is added that makes the game harder for them to "finish" in shortest amount of time, or that requires that they change their repetitive routine. It happens every update. Fortunately, half the time it's due to limited imagination or understanding (not a good combination in a sandbox game).

14. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Some people don't like change. I mean, it seems like every month I read a post from someone who wants all development to stop or for the game to go back to an earlier stage of alpha. I know the "it's alpha" saying seems like a broken record at this point but there's quite a vocal but small number of players who seem to forget that alpha games change, often radically.

Weight and volume, logistics, bigger planets, etc, were all changes that were very likely to happen just given the genre of this game. Yet whenever these very expected (and needed) changes happen, some people act surprised and utterly shocked that such a thing was added to the game. I'm not talking about the people who like the idea of the feature but might not like how it was implemented. I'm talking about the people who want the entire new feature removed, whatever feature that happens to be.

When or if we ever get multiple star systems, expect even more complaints about THAT feature. Now don't get me wrong, saying things like "this feature needs refinement, here's what's broken and my ideas to fix it." is one thing. Saying "this feature sucks and I need a class 20 SV to haul a single piece of loot! I WILL NEVER USE IT!" is pointless.

I feel sorry for whoever has to sift through the noise to get to the useful and accurate feedback. :D

Sofianinho and Ann|e Noa|m like this.
  15. Goffender

Goffender Commander

I havent had any issue yet, i like the volume / mass system so far. I had to go back to SP because the only server i have found was uber hard for other reasons..... differet story.

ravien_ff likes this.
  16. playlessNamer

playlessNamer Ensign

Thats me!
    Touching the inventory is the lowest niveau you can use to create gametime. Make everything unique in any ways, give me any fun reasons to build all this different stuff, there are dozens of possibillitys to get the same effect.
    Limiting inventory or even touching the inventory system reminds me to Dungeon Defenders 2 freetoplay but you need to buy inventoryslots because we spam you full with more and more stuff.
    In every compareable survival sandbox builder the inventory is just annoying, always to small and it never ever creates a feeling of a gameplaypart when its full again. Its a boring tedious "do what you do twice or more" gameplay instead of a nice feature.
    Empyrion is maybe going to have the worst inventory of all survival builder games because most of them ignore weight and volume at all for a good reason.
    The inventory is NOT A FUN PART OF THE GAMEPLAY, its allready annoying enough to sort all your stuff in different chests.

There are way better ways to create gametime and gameplaydepth. A full inventory is such annoying all over different games, it hits a universal trigger point on me, its a unfunny situation. its: Määäh, wait guys, need to tp home and clear my stuff..., pause, all waiting, waiting to play on,... Do you want your game to be fun or tedious?
    A inventoryslot is a inventory slot and it carrys a stack of a type of any item, thats how gameinventorys work. Dont tell me a steel block is heavier than a bottle of water, you dont wanna open the box of pandora and talk about realism reasons.

17. Goffender

Goffender Commander

Sounds like your just not a survival game kinda person and thats ok, its not for everyone. And believable is not the same as realistic but yes, survival games need to be believable or i loose the need to survive element.

18. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

That's your opinion and that's okay.

You have the option to turn it off. People who want it can turn it on. Like stated above, you might just not like the genre and that's okay too. The feature is probably not going to be removed but should remain optional so people can turn it on or off as they like.

This game is being made to be as customizable as possible and that's a good thing.

StyxAnnihilator and Fenra369 like this.
  19. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    The feature will for sure not be revmoved :D And for everyone who would like that, ravien already gave the correct answer: turn it off ;)

20. Softwalker001

Softwalker001 Ensign

I'm finding the Mass/Volume system to be An interesting Proto sub game. It has definitely changed my Structure/Vehicle designs and progression. I tend to skip SV's now with the exception of an explorer, and go straight to a small expandable CV using cargo extensions as hull plates. My HV are similarly scale-able.