Known Issue Turning on jetpack in space can change your view direction [4000]

Discussion in 'Known Issues' started by Garaman, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Garaman

Garaman Captain

Build: 1.7 3626 (Experimental) (Also present in 1.6)
    Mode: Creative / Survival
    Mode: Single Player / Multi Player

Reproducibility: Always
    Severity: Minor

Type: Player Camera / Jetpack

Summary: When turning on your jetpack in space your camera view can suddenly snap to a heading that is very different from where you were currently looking.

Description:
    I believe this issue is not unique to experimental as I recall it occurring before. When in space you will commonly find that turning on your jetpack snaps your view to a new heading, sometimes almost completely reversing your direction. I am not sure what's causing it, though it seems to have something to do with how fast you move your mouse as slow movements tend to not manifest the issue. This behavior can be very disorienting while navigating ships or space POIs.

I was able to reproduce this behavior with both gravity on and off. Switching from windowed (how I run the game) to exclusive fullscreen had no effect (I thought it might have something to do with Windows mouse acceleration).

Steps to Reproduce
    :
    1) Load the attached EPB in space. Turn your jetpack off and stand in the middle.
    2) Turn to face one of the colored grids and turn your jetpack on. Your view may or may not snap somewhere between where you were last looking and your new look angle.
    3) Turn your jetpack off and repeat step 2, changing to look at different colored grids and moving the mouse at different speeds. As you look around and toggle the jetpack you should see the snapping occurring.

Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:
    In the video below I show my current mouse settings, and then demonstrate looking around and toggling the jetpack. I also show that moving slowly seems to not reproduce the issue, whereas moving quickly reproduces it more often.

Attached Files:

Vollinger likes this.