turrets for small vessel poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nuclearius, Feb 20, 2017.

?

should small vessel have manual turrets?

1. yes!

21 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. no!

21 vote(s)
    39.6%
  3. they should have turrets but different from this idea

11 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. Nuclearius

Nuclearius Ensign

My idea is of small vessels being able to have manual turrets with direct only access, I believe they would be better if they could have small turrets (size of HV turrets) like minigun, cannon, rocket but no artillery turret, that would be too much for a SV.

2. Mordgier

Mordgier Captain

Turrets should follow the cursor and be targeted by the pilot/gunner.

3. Dayhawk

Dayhawk Ensign

When riding as a passenger on a SV, it would be nice to have access to a turret. Currently its kind of boring to get shuttled around on the SV.

Zedd, Arturius1967 and Booyaah like this.
  4. Nuclearius

Nuclearius Ensign

That sounds cooler on a capital vessel in my opnion

Neal likes this.
  5. Nuclearius

Nuclearius Ensign

My idea was the turrets on SV being some kind of seat, not necessarily with a chair but you understand what I mean. But yes, wouldn't be such a problem to me the turrets being accessible by the passager seat

6. Pyston

Pyston Captain

I voted no until I read your comment, changed my vote to yes. I remade one of my ships just so my passengers could look out the windows (its a small crew carrier/drop ship) because its boring for them while I fly from the surface to our CV in space.

7. Lonnehart

Lonnehart Commander

I like this idea. May make Multiplayer SVs fun! Like the old Y-Wing fighter from Star Wars...

8. swhostettler

swhostettler Commander

should have auto turrets just like a HV

9. Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice Lieutenant

I still see the SV class as the class for small and agile fighters, despite the current RCS values that make even large CVs turn better than SVs. So I would prefer for them to have only small short range auto turrets for self defense. Kind of like the sentry turret scaled down to 1 sv block size. Something that protects your parked SV from critters.

I do however think a medium vessel is desperately missing for dropship/gunship type ships. That one should have HV style turrets and the possibility to dock HVs and maybe SVs. I think a good idea would be to make block size of the medium vessel half that of the CV. This way they can easily recycle some of the CV blocks like elevator shafts, (hangar) doors and ramps (and maybe medic chambers) by simply making them twice as large blockwise, so a MV elevator shaft would be 2x2 blocks and exactly the size of a CV elevator shaft.

Frankyln likes this.
  10. Zedd

Zedd Captain

I voted Yes: Other.

Either the turrets should be manual-only (Millenium Falcon style) or they should EXTREMELY limited use, such as once off chaff/smokescreen/EMP pulse/short duration energy shield/small popup turret with <100 bullets (storage inside turret itself, no ammo box).

Just something to save it from the first volley of a drone, and give you 20-30 seconds or so to react.

Full auto-turrets would make HV redundant.

11. Nuclearius

Nuclearius Ensign

You are right about the full auto turrets, but I would sure go with millennium falcon style instead of this other idea (which is still interesting)

12. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Not sure if necessary/needed - but I still kinda like the idea. If limited enough, ie. manual only, low power, defensive turrets only. It could be fun. I wouldn't mind building bigger bomber style SV or a gunship with side mounted miniguns :)

Zedd likes this.
  13. Nuclearius

Nuclearius Ensign

Exactly :D

14. 68plex

68plex Captain

I only play single player, but I can see what good fun it would be for multiplayer passengers to be able to man turrets. Make them accessible only from passenger seats. Along with that, an increase in drone activity (read SWARMS) and even npc SV attacks around alien bases would make for some lively good times for the multiplayer crowd. Not to mention the excitement of PVP furballs of squadrons of SVs, guns and turrets blazing away, comradery soaring...

Plus, being able to put turrets on the hulls of HVs - of the same block size as SVs - and NOT on SVs, is nothing but an arbitrary, gamey rule that defies logic. As long as HVs remain the bastions of mining and artillery, they won't become obsolete upon the advent of turreted SVs. So I vote yes.

Zedd likes this.
  15. Our Grid

Our Grid Captain

SV turret requiring a gunner would be OK in my opinion. My wife and I play together 99% of the time and as you say, she just sits there and cannot really help at all in the SV right now.

I know Hummel said SVs would NEVER get Turrets, but Gimbaled weapons a player other than the pilot could use, seems a fair trade and not over the top - perhaps only a 180 degree motion.

I also agree with the comment on limited range, that would also help make it reasonable and not too OP.

Really like the idea it helps drive coop play between players to take advantage of.

Zedd likes this.
  16. Captain Jack II

Captain Jack II Rear Admiral

What would the drawbacks be?

I'm thinking some WWII fighters had turrets and they were successful until the enemy figured out that lighter, faster planes with more forward facing weaponry and ammunition were superior. Granted, they weren't very modern or even space age vessels, but turrets could be allowed as long as something else had to be sacrificed. As it stands now, people will just slap turrets on everything, and that's no good either.

itdocman, GoldDragon and Zedd like this.
  17. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Weight, size, energy. The usual. Could be something like the closed passenger seat.

Captain Jack II and Zedd like this.
  18. Nuclearius

Nuclearius Ensign

Well you will need 1 other player for each turret and the turrets like, the others, have weight, energy use and ammo use

19. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Maybe then in SP only, this is where "Hiring NPCs" could come in to play. They could come with chance of being killed, and raising their rates due to hazzard conditions... and their aim/skill would be based on how much you pay them to stick around.

Hehehe. I jest of course... I hate managing NPCs in solo games lol!

20. Nuclearius

Nuclearius Ensign

I was actually thinking about that too