Filed / Tracking Unable to get an appointment (story mission Sanctuary)

Discussion in 'Tracking / Filed' started by Zenopath, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Zenopath

Zenopath Lieutenant

Build 3375

No mods

Severity - High

Description - You can talk to the guard by elevator, but he's not opening the elevator door. Story mission frozen, (if you skip step you still can't go upstairs), unable to progress.

Steps to reproduce - I am not 100% certain, but I think the bug was created because I went to Sanctuary, bought some multitool ammo, then left. This was the first playthrough when I left Sanctuary before talking to Kessel. I think leaving Sanctuary without first talking to guard to unlock elevator doors is how this bug happens. He won't work right when you comeback later...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    Pach likes this.
  2. Radeghast

Radeghast Ensign

Hiya

I reported this bug last week, unfortunately I had to abandon my save game and start again after doing a steam verify of local files which found problems with 2 of them and were re downloaded. Did you by any chance get a internal error message at any point before you got to the Sanctuary, just wondering if this has something to do with it.

3. Radeghast

Radeghast Ensign

My report btw is in the fixed section now, although it wasn't really fixed as such

4. Zenopath

Zenopath Lieutenant

I did not recieve any error, and I also verified steam files successfully. Tried relogging, didn't work. You can complete the dialog as normal, but nothing happens, quest doesn't advance, and you can just keep talking to him over and over. I attached a saved gave of this if anyone wants to look at it, but like I said, my best guess is that leaving after visiting Sanctuary without talking to the guard bugged this quest out.

Attached Files:

Pach likes this.
  5. Radeghast

Radeghast Ensign

If all your files are fine you can only start again, I'm afraid the saved games can't be fixed as far as I am aware

6. Zenopath

Zenopath Lieutenant

I did start over again... It's fine, not that much time lost. I mostly wanted to help debug. But it's likely that this is one of those things that might be too complicated to fix for relatively little benefit. Odds are most players won't go to Sanctuary, buy something and leave without talking to the guard to hand in the quest. If I'm right about what causes the bug, it's broken because when Sanctuary's assets got removed from my computer's memory the trigger to unlocking the door broke. It would be challenging to fix a glitch like that, I think... but I could be wrong.

7. Radeghast

Radeghast Ensign

My latest game which was my 3rd attempt I did very little up to getting the Sanctuary delivery quest, wanted to make sure I had a working lift there. But the attempt before I don't think I spoke to any traders prior to trying to get the appointment and it didn't advance either, when I did steam verify though I found 2 files needed downloading again and then on my next attempt it worked fine. But that might have just been a coincidence.

8. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

I was able to duplicate this in 3375 today (new game started this morning).

I did the quest normally. Then I went back to a previous save, and did the following:

• sold some flamethrowers to Bertrams
    • without speaking to the guard, I drove several kilometers away and returned
    • spoke to the guard
    At this point, the doors were locked. I did not have this problem when I just came in and did the quest. Give me a bit, and I'll upload some save files with more specifics to duplicate.

EDIT:

Save games linked at end of this message.

To exactly reproduce this, open the "polaris test" game save. The "polaris broken" file is what I created following these steps, exactly:

• You will open the file standing next to a hovercraft ("Rhai's HV"), parked beside the Sanctuary. You have 3 flamethrowers in your inventory.

• Go into the Sanctuary, and talk to Bertrams. Sell the 3 flamethrowers. Return to the HV WITHOUT EVER TALKING TO THE GUARD.

• Get in the HV. There are 2 waypoints ("New Marker") on the map. Drive to the further one, turn around and return to the Sanctuary (note: I didn't try to the near one and return... I had the markers to look at those spots, and it was just a handy thing to do to get far enough away).

• When you return to the Sancturay, talk to the guard. When you complete the dialog, the quest does not advance, and the doors are still locked to "other faction".
    EDIT 2:
    You should also be able to start from the same original save file, and just go talk to the guard and advance the quest no problem.

"Polaris test": File before doing the quest to test with:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XtCfIV-QXhb0c6rn6xUD9CKIN1L7FLtl/view?usp=sharing

"Polaris broken": File in the broken quest state:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mDObl7Gr0jJfwypYaOniiliYjTHY7za4/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    Germanicus likes this.
  9. Zenopath

Zenopath Lieutenant

Wow, thank you for putting in all that work.

Pach likes this.
  10. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

@Zenopath I just tested your theory of "selling something, leaving and returning broke it". I duplicated it.

Hopefully, with the save files and the specific things I did to duplicate it, the Devs can duplicate it and fix what's wrong.

But all I did was see if I could break it the same way you did (and I could).

Thorwine and Germanicus like this.
  11. Radeghast

Radeghast Ensign

Well done Pach

Pach likes this.
  12. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    How long did you stay at the HV/away from the station? Did the same happen without selling the stuff? (Just by walking in then returning to the HV?)

This is actually a real hard nut to crack as none of the functions the quest requires has anything to do with what you described .. but I have an idea at least thanks to all of your dedicated help :)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  13. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

I litterally just drove to the two "New Marker" waypoints (I was exploring, but they are almost straight line from the Sanctuary), turned around and immediately came back. I spent less than 1 minute at the far way point. Not sure how long that was time-wise.

I can tell you that I FIRST did the quests normally... walk in, talk to the guard... had no issues. I don't remember if I walked out or not. Then I remembered seeing this bug, and thought I would see if I could duplicate/get a save file for you. I tested by copying a previous save file (I save VERY OFTEN in Experimental!), and doing it again, so it was the same seed, etc. That's why I added the note: if you take the save file I provided, you SHOULD be able to just walk in and do the quest.

It wasn't until I tried what @Zenopath mentioned: selling some items, leaving and returning, that I could duplicate it. So there is something in those steps that's breaking it.

14. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    I could not reproduce it that way, but it did reproduce when I exited the game before i spoke to the guard. After resuming the action would not trigger anymore (did not sell anything or drive away)

Pach likes this.
  15. Question,
    When you exit the game to reload a previous save, are you FULLY shutting the game down in between?
    Or are you only exiting to main menu and reloading?

If you aren't fully exiting the game to desktop then that might explain things.

We've been reporting to the devs for months now that things aren't unloading properly when exiting to main menu.
    The devs REALLY need to fix this ASAP, as it's causing WAY more bugs than they realize....
    It's a major game breaking bug, not a minor one like they are treating it as.

16. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    What you describe is possibly a CACHE issue - exit to main menu or fully exiting did not make a difference in the issue.

Germanicus and Pach like this.
  17. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Right. Because with each fresh start I clean the Cache. I do this also when testing if a Bug is repeatable.
    Cache cleaning, verifying - next try.
    Only in this case it did not change the outcome:rolleyes:.

18. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    I will make a note about the Cache anyways. Maybe it helps to fix that as well. :)

Germanicus and Pach like this.
  19. MrJoshua

MrJoshua Ensign

Found this thread after having the issue and googling. I went to the underground burial and came back (server rebooted in the middle) and door is locked to another faction now.