Underwater Update

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by JCD, Jun 14, 2019 at 1:49 PM.

1. JCD

JCD Lieutenant

I have a huge feeling this is already planned, but I would love to see an underwater themed update, because right now, water looks cool, but it ends up being a waste of space with no real purpose. Planets covered in water completely are never seen due to this fact, and most planets have only small pools and lakes at most.

First off, I think that none of the decoration props should remove water around them. Certain things cannot be placed underwater without air pockets forming around them. For instance, thermal vents cause this to happen. I don't understand what the purpose of doing that would be, because if you delete an object, there is always a huge space without water blocks that you can just fall into and walk around, even though you are under an ocean.

Another thing I would like to see, is water block expansion into empty spaces. I know that this would be difficult, and could cause issues if player fill in caves by mistake, but I think it would be very beneficial if players could mine under the ocean and not create an airpocket. Perhaps you already have ideas of how to do this.

Also: create engines designed for movement underwater that can be added to SVs, HVs, and CVs. Maybe current engines could give some basic movement too, but I would love to see dedicated engines for SVs to allow them to travel very fast, like a submarine.

Give HV jumpads the ability to launch an HV out of the water if it gets stuck, as this can be very annoying when you are trying to only glide above the water and you go too low. The only way to fix that situation right now, is to travel all the way to the shore. If it is far away, this can take a long time since HVs move slow when underwater.

I would also like to see some more underwater props and creatures. Perhaps some swimming creatures would be a cool idea too. Industries can be added for water locations, such as fishing and oyster diving. I would also love to see a way to filter water with a machine attached to a base that overlaps or is under water instead of using a small detached device to do this job. A water bike equivalent to the land bike would be sweet as well.

Another thing, is I think that all structures should never actually alter the water blocks by removing or replacing them. A smarter idea I think would be to make it so that if you are in an airtight area, the water will be removed, but you will still not be able to breathe unless it is ventilated. So, if you are inside a water terrain block, but also inside of an enclosed building, it now should treat it like you are inside a vacuum chamber. This would also allow people to park ships underwater and walk around inside them without having to swim, without you having to constantly update the water blocks, which would have inaccuracies that will allow for air pockets and other mistakes to constantly appear.

A final idea, is some sort of device that creates air pockets around it, so you can create underwater bubbles you can walk around in.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 1:55 PM
    TNTBOY479 and markis007 like this.
  2. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

I am pretty sure that both of these things are just considered bugs, which they will address when they come back to improving water. I don't think they have the intent of making water behave like an actual fluid, or recreating a Subnautica-like experience. But the simplistic behavior of how water won't fill empty space will likely be fixed at some point.

There's actually already a thread about this whole topic, if you want to see what others have already suggested and discussed:

https://empyriononline.com/threads/future-of-egs-water-development.44514

The devs have actually responded to that topic and confirmed they'll come back to water, so if you post your ideas there, they're more likely to be seen by the devs.

3. Kaloriaa

Kaloriaa Commander

Speaking of underwater. It be nice to have a underwater base deep in the ocean on ocean planets.

Suggestions.

1) Add fish, And other underwater life the add the under feeling that that planet is alive.

2.) Add a way to vent water out of your base when building underwater when your done. Can have pumps to pumps the water out.

3.) Underwater suit that allows faster mobility in water.

4.) Allow better ways to filter water.

5.) Add in a thirst meter I mean you gotta have a drink of water sometime right?

6.) Water blocks. Maby you want a swimming pool and want to fill it up with water how about a way to put water in stuff. Yeah why not have water blocks.

7.) Underwater vessels or UWV's (Submarines) can be made just for underwater travel.

markis007 likes this.
  4. markis007

markis007 Ensign

Underwater bases are a great idea but then you would need a way of landing your ships in them! At the moment ships HV,SV and CV's dont have the ability to travel underwater.

5. TmikeS3

TmikeS3 Commander

you could solve that by having a landing pad that's a above the water, could even build a hanger up there...or one under ground near by with a tunnel to your base.....

6. JCD

JCD Lieutenant

Of course, but what fun is that?