Underwater weapons?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NazT_DragN, Jun 12, 2018.

1. NazT_DragN

NazT_DragN Lieutenant

For some reason I can only reply to threads in the FAQ/Feedback section, so I'm posting this question here.

Will there be any weapons soon that can be used underwater? I came across this cool Wreckage:
    20180612214248_1.jpg
    but since I can't do any weapon damage underwater I can't switch out the core to salvage anything, or even blow out a door to explore what isn't already opened. I even tried the T1 drill and Chainsaw, and even though they were able to be used, they did no actual dmg when I checked with the multitool.

2. Sparrowhawk65

Sparrowhawk65 Captain

You can drill the sand to make an air pocket under the water and shoot from there, or attack with ship weapons if the angle is right. But yeah, that's a bit of a problem. I used my sv gatling to drill a hole to the core once I found it.

spacefarmer likes this.
  3. MidasGunhazard

MidasGunhazard Captain

huge shame. That is absolutely cool.

4. NazT_DragN

NazT_DragN Lieutenant

Thx for that...only have an HV atm, but didn't even think to shoot from the air pocket. It's just really weird to even be able to make an air pocket in the first place. o_O

spacefarmer likes this.
  5. MrFubar

MrFubar Commander

So I decided to play around underwater trying to build down there last night, I found that while i can put a base starter underwater, the base is always filled with water no matter what even if i make it completely sealed and fill the o2 tanks and have a ventilator it is still full of water. Also if you dig down when underwater you end up with the water not moving and having an air pocket with water above you that doesn't flow.

I would love to see this fixed, i know it is possible with the engine, as another game with the same type of mining allows water to flow.

It would also be great to have underwater enemies, right now the water is a 100% safe zone. I would like to be able to control an SV underwater as well or have a separate sub ship category. I can drop my sv under the water, but I can only fly up not at all side to side or forward and backward. Weird that some of the thrusters work but others don't even when they are all the same physical thruster just aimed in a different direction.

Would also be awesome to be able to build a floating base or a ship that floats and doesn't sink so you can land on the water.

6. 68plex

68plex Captain

Explosive packs work under water. Use to destroy core.

Evolvei likes this.
  7. Damocles

Damocles Captain

Underwater bases are technically complex to visualize.
    For example if there is part of a bases "window-wall" under water, the other on top, while standing in a water-free area, it would not work with the current system. (the camera is either inside the water, or outside of it)

A solution could be to not allow any windows or doors under water. (using some special airlock with 2 doors to get outside). And only have air (eg, no water-screen effect) in O2 sealed areas .

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  8. Doomtrooper

Doomtrooper Commander

I've been waiting for real-ish water physics for years now but it seems to be way down the list of things to do.

9. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Depending on placement, you can also put down the tent to create an air bubble if there is terrain within view of the core

10. Badomen

Badomen Lieutenant

If you use the drill "FILL" option on the sea floor, then "FLATTEN" the area you just filled, it creates a permanent air pocket where the fill was.

11. Reznik75

Reznik75 Lieutenant

This to blast doors and the core... Definitely need to expand underwater weapon use though and volumetric water hopefully someday.

12. ThatOmegaGuy

ThatOmegaGuy Ensign

Add this " AllowAt: "UnderWater, Planet, Space" " to config. I do it at least for the pistol as we need SOMETHING to use and modern weapons can absolutely fire underwater.

Config under pistol should look like this when you're done

AllowRemote: false
    AllowAt: "UnderWater, Planet, Space"
    ROF: 0.2, type: float, display: true, formatter: ROF

13. Fossil

Fossil Ensign

You can mine underwater wrecks with a hover vessel with a MultiTurret equipped. You just have to lower the hover height to zero and the hover vessel "should" sink down into the water about halfway (which is probably a bug tbh, lol). Once it does this, it becomes extremely slow and sluggish and you can tilt the hover vessel up, down, sideways and it won't autocorrect it's orientation. So you can tilt it downwards so the MultiTurret is submerged and fire away. I've salvaged lots of wrecks like this.

edit: oh bugger I just realized how old this topic was...

14. Kaloriaa

Kaloriaa Commander

Question: How does a gun not fire underwater? It makes no sense you cannot fire a rifle underwater.

Guns in real life does fire underwater. Note range is drastically reduced but it can still shoot.

Just google it people have tried it.