v1.3 - Player Skills

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    First draft of player skills allowing to change item properties (for now only Damage, more properties will come soon):
    • For now this is only usable with the Dialogue system. There you set up skills with e.g. Player.Skills['yourSkill'] = 1.5.
    • That skill (yourSkill = 1.5) can then be used in the ItemsConfig.ecf to modify the 4 properties you see below (Damage, BulletSpread, etc. If you think other values make sense too, please let us know. BlocksConfig.ecf comes next to change RangeLY for WarpDrive etc.).
    • Example for your Pistol: Mod.Damage: "Damage + Player.Skills['yourSkill'] * 2"
    • That way, properties are different handled per player - depending if the player skilled it or not.
    - Modded item properties via player skills: added BulletSpread, ReloadDelay, Recoil
    - BlocksConfig: added MarketPrice property
    - Added console command 'itemmods' to show the active modifications of the held item of the local player.

TK85, JCataclism and ravien_ff like this.
  2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Not able to get this part working:
    Adding Mod.RangeLY: "RangeLY + Player.Skills['Eden_WarpRange'] * 2" to the warp drive block gives a CoQ on load. Not sure if I'm doing it right.

3. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Can we get skill options for ThrusterBoostFactor and Torque for the BlocksConfig?
    It would also be nice to have the ability to use skills to increase/decrease the MaxCount for devices through skills, allowing player progression to award a higher solar panel limit, or the bind the ability to place a unique/specific kind of weapon to a class (e.g. Torpedo Launcher with a maxcount of 0, that's increased by +1 with a skill... as an example).
    Additional options for Armor would be useful too. Either applied to the boosters or to the armor itself to give bonuses to Defense, Stamina, Jetpack, Temperature/Radiation Resist, etc...

I bet a lot of players have just seen this thread for the first time and are thinking "We have player skills? Since when?"

SacredGlade, Alhira_K and ravien_ff like this.
  4. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

For some reason I missed this thread. Anyway I will write my thoughts here. I play the game for hours and almost every day. Of course there are casual players out there, with less investment in play time. Nevertheless, in Empyrion the player reaches the level cap, sooner or later and after that it seems there is nothing to improve skill wise. Therefore, for skills, I propose a system similar to faction standings. Whatever skills get improved in the future by skill points or by training through usage for example, the skills should deteriorate as time passes.

Like standing with i.e Zirax will increase if the player stays out of Zirax territory and the standing is negative, the player skill should decrease as time passes and the player has not exercise it, aka use that skill. This make some sense in this way: The player has not shoot for some time and the skill has decreased, so when the player starts to shoot again, the skill is effective as the first time the player stated the game.

Except from shooting, crafting time, cooking food and deconstruct should affect the way the player interacts with constructive devices. Also there, a probability for the outcome should be effective. Example low level devices and blocks should be more easy to make but higher level devices such as warp drives or XL thrusters should not be always easy. Same goes for Epic weapons, armor, ammo etc. The materials of course should not all be consumed. Some should be returned after a failed outcome.

Other skill should be the flight capabilities of the player. Increase top speed a little, agility of ship etc How about the run on ground? How fast and how long can the player sustain "always run" skill. How long can perform a jump.

This might get complicated, I can imagine. But once implemented, the skills deteriorate over time, like an athlete that does not train often or exercise a skill, or like an acrobat performer that does not train enough, that skill is weak and only gets better by exercise/practice usage etc. This "skill cycle" will add variatey in the game, similar to faction standings, but more useful.

5. Alhira_K

Alhira_K Captain

@Vermillion
    Well, we have them since 1.3 but atm they're limited to 3 or 4 gun skills. Of course i was hoping there would be some useful follow up but Eleon as per usual...
    I still think we should be able to tie turret type/amount (and a few other things like amount of storage controllers) to different core types so we can build a system where choices actually matter. You want a cargo ship? Well, they don't sport artillery. You want a destroyer? A destroyer doesn't have 'limitless' cargo.
    Imo tying this stuff to skills would end up in a one-ship-does-everything scenario, which we basically already have.

@Myrmidon
    Deteriorating skills is a bad idea. How fast would you let skills deteriorate? Are weapon skills at 0 only because one just spent 2 hours collecting resources from autominers? Or because somebody just spent 4 or 5 ingame hours toying around with a new base or a new CV, decorating it and maybe gathering a few things like certain plants for the grow plots? And how fast would you let them deteriorate in MP vs SP?
    Imo it would ruin a bit of the sandbox by forcing you to do certain things you might not want to do right now only to not get punished. Where's the fun in that?

stanley bourdon likes this.