Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, May 18, 2021.
Great news. I really like the futuristic look of the new weapon models.
This might have been mentioned sooner.
I mean to be fair you don't really need to own guns or know guns too well to know about stocks, I'v never shot an AR or own one but these guns reminds me of driving a car with only the front half of it. If it was about being a gun nut there are like 500 different things those type of people would jump down their throats for doing/not doing. My only issue is that it just that it looks so cheesy, like someone took a pistol and stretched it out.
Its common for Prop Art Designers to have futuristic Weapon follow a certain scheme which makes them look as if parts of them are interchangeable with each other. Which is actual the intention of those designs.
Oh come on... How could they know some players would not like this before submitting the models for feedback ? They didn't have to tell us about the "remote future weapons mods" thing either to get our feedback on actual models.
Maybe a good idea to give weapons a fresh, more sci-fi looks, but currently model and texture in-game look terrible. Like holding plastic toy for 5yo kid. Also rate of fire is so crap, that i want to skip using them as quickly as possible.
1) Make more weapon tiers, higher clip capacity and fire rate to deal with hordes of enemies spawning in POIs. 4 normal tiers + Epic tier is good enough. When u get from starter planet, u usually already max level even with Slow player progression, so we need more tech to research, and weapon tiers is a good way to waste tech point. Also, higher tier weapons must look more advanced/alien, than lower tier ones, not just some attachement and color variant. Also add more and better looking visualFX to laser weaponry, it looks like a game is still in 2000s atm. Energy VFX must look like this to be cool https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2289936913 Better yet - add plasma weaponry, as a next step up in energy weapons - with more dmg, rate of fire and clip size. Of course clips can be more expensive. Some decals of weapon hits on surfaces would be nice too.
1.b) And add automatic shotguns. Its damn future, it has space ships, but no automatic shotgun to deal with horde of insects. Even 7 day to die added auto-shotgun.
2) Also better generators, that give more power and use less fuel is a must. Big ships are incapable to traverse planets without running out of fuel in an hour or two. So that would give another few techs for higher leveled players. That makes player to literaly wipe out all energy resources on a planet to fuel even 1 decent SV.
3) Also, add ice to space asteroids, so that we could mine it and make fusion fuel cells in space, without wasting several hours waiting for water pumps to gather water from planets.
4) Also, make walls more resistant to explosive weapons. Why is that its easier to blow up wall or floor, instead of a door with plasma gun or rocket launcher? I know i can use explosive charges, but why do i need to carry them if i have Epic plasma or Epic launcher? But i usually blow base before i open door with those.
5) Do something with traversal physics already. I hate to slide off from any block if i approach its edge, as if i`m standing on a ball instead of square.
6) More tiers for tools, with higher fire rate, to dig/salvage faster.
7) Ability to make planet scan from SV, or deploy spy sattelite to reveal all POIs and resource patches on planet. U'd still need to fly to the place to uncover what type of POI that is or resource.
Or just give modders a way to do more with modding this game, than making scenarios and Blueprints for ships, so that they could add all those things.
Most of the things you suggested can already be modded easily. The problem is rather that modders don't have the developer's "thick skin" to absorb constant player complaining and requests for corrections, tweaks and changes, served with entitlement and anger.
Seems like its always about entitlement these days. Sad for the most part as these devs and this game have been moving along at a decent pace. Some will simply never be satisfied unfortunately.
Yep. Like a renowned developer once said :
"Don't ask what your Game can do for you, but instead ask yourself what YOU can do for your Game."
Or was it a well know modder ? Can't remember... ^^
I hate to be off topic here, but while we are talking about weapons could we make the flamethrower and it's ammo craftable please?
TL DR --> Weapon models are fine. Animations need work. Reload model change suggestion and inventory tweak suggestion.
I think the models are pretty good. The weapons being similar does not bother me at all. I think it makes sense for the UCH to create a highly standardized weapon model to make operations easier with their fabricators. The lack of a stock is rather odd for the shotgun and assault rifle, but would be fine for an SMG or extreme CQB shotgun.
Maybe changing the current assault rifle to a sub-machine gun (fires pistol rounds) and then creating a model for a larger shotgun/assault rifle by adding a stock to the current images would be a good way to create lower tier weapons and quickly get more guns in the game.
Their animations need some work, unless I am seeing a bug.
When reloading the pistol the hand engages the slide around the wrist area and the slide does not move at all when racking. Also racking a semi-automatic pistol is not necessary on a normal reload, that would just kick a round out on the ground. It's only necessary when shooting the firearm to "lock back" (i.e. empty).
The same is true for the rifle and shotgun. The reload happens some what off screen, which is fine, but the mag is clearly not dropping or being reinserted and the bolt is being manipulated with the wrist of the character. Technically I guess the wrist thing would work but it is weird looking, clunky, and everything clips together.
Changing the animations would be a good way to visually show the player's weapon skill if a skill tree plans to be added.
For example an unskilled pistol marksman would drop the empty mag, insert the fresh magazine, and then reach overhand doing a full grip hold on the slide and pull it to the rear to perform a reload on a locked back pistol.
An experience marksman would do the first two steps faster and use the slide release. This increases reload times and gives visual feed back to the player of their progress. Of course that requires multiple animations per weapon which is probably a huge pain to create and implement.
As far as additions go I would like to see weapon slots on the character. Mostly, for me, a side arm holster and grenade slots. The game goal being you can hit a button to quickly access a weapon in the slot. For example in my game "Q" is unmapped. This could be used to draw a pistol assigned to a holster slot. As far as the "why" to this is that is the niche a pistol fills in a combat area. This is why medics, engineers, camera crews, and specialized units carry pistols. They can be added to the body with minimal effort (the holster) and are quickly accessible if you need the weapon.
This can be achieved now by manipulating the hot bar but in my opinion the speed weapons are drawn is pretty slow. Specifically adding a holster to the character would justify quickly drawing a pistol and make them viable late game. I would make the holster a flap style so you don't have to make a bunch of different player skin alterations to show different weapons in the holster.
It would also be nice to have grenades/satchel/explosive slots to map a quick throw key to so you could quickly deploy an explosive in a rapidly changing combat situation.
The weapon slot system would also fit into the armor tier system if wanted to make the armor more attractive than just stops more damage. For example the suit and tier one armor could hold basic sidearms only. The next tier could hold machine pistols/T2 pistols and have some grenade slots. Tier 3 could hold any side arm, more grenades, and have an ammo slot that makes reloading faster.
hollo...pistol is nice....bud DEVS NEED CLEAN THE GLASSES...... Machine gun and shotgun is very similary..... im my perspective , the shotgun is the one thath needs new rework....
They cleaned their Glasses - there will be a 'temporary' Stock attached. Clean your Glasses too, OK?
Scrolling back a Page and and read what @Taelyn wrote about it.
Sorry, I didn't mean to think out loud. Won't happen again...unless I forget.
I like the new model's shape, but I don't like them being mostly white.
I think they need some more color. I love the models they look real Empyrionish. (in a good way) But the coloring is very bland needs some contrast. Not much just so they blend more with the current weapons. I do love how they look like they where 3D Printed in mass production. I do think the models and tooltips between Shotgun and Assault Rifle need some differences between them.
^This pretty much. I don't much about guns either, but I know at a basic level, a shotgun is not supposed to be confused for a assault rifle. It's already stated there is already confusion about this. My understanding too is it is supposed to be a boom stick gun, so things like a stock make sense for a "primitive" space weapon. I would suspect the laser weapons will diverge greatly from these since you don't have recoil or anything like that realistically speaking.
I skimmed/skipped most of the responses.
I thought the new weapons were "bland", but then I saw the first post stating this was a first pass. I'm assuming there will be more color/detail added to final model (not just plain grey/white). If so, then my "bland" impression will likely be revised when this is done.
I want to also add my name to the list of people who cannot easily tell apart the assault rifle vs. the shotgun, but I did see a post that there are already plans to address this.
I will likely revise these these opinions with the next revisions; these are just what I thought on seeing them as they are.