Voice Acting

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Hector G, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Hector G

Hector G Lieutenant

How do EG Survivalists feel about voice acted tutorials and NPCs and such? No right or wrong answer just curious.

Personally I find voice acted tutorials are more effective for me than text and it adds more life to the world.

Would Eleon ever consider adding voice acting to Empyrion if enough money were raised?

2. Flash Hendricks

Flash Hendricks Captain

Let's hope so!

3. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

It is a fine idea, but not a good idea at this stage at all. It is the kind of thing you might do not long before release.

A text tutorial can be improved and iterated on. Voice acting needs to be thrown away and redone.

The game will change too much for it to make sense to do any time soon.

However, it seems feasible because paying for voice talent isn't really that bad. Hiring a contractor with a nice voice to do it can cost as little as 50-100 bucks, it isn't some unattainable cost. Unless you want Patrick Stewart or something. But hiring some guy with a golden voice who does radio commercials for extra money is actually not hard or that expensive, I've done it before (for some tutorial videos of a software product).

ravien_ff likes this.
  4. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

With the widespread use of mics these days, there's probably at least a dozen viable people on the forums that would happily donate their voice to the game.
    Empyrion's not star citizen, so they don't need to pay off people like Gary Oldman and Mark Hamil (which they did). Though if they wanted, there are youtubers that do fair impressions of them. There's nothing quite like a cheap knockoff Morgan Freeman.

ravien_ff likes this.
  5. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

For a tutorial that might work but I wouldn't recommend that if they ever start giving voices to quests and so on.

Although it would not surprise me if there were some forum members who actually had acting experience and/or great voices, I think you underestimate the difference between "someone that knows that they're doing and has experience at it" versus "random internet dude". What you get out of the cheap computer mic/headsets that most people use to make "let's play" type videos will sound quite hollow in the game.

You do not need Gary Oldman, you can go to fiverr.com or voices.com and pay somebody $30 who sounds like a pro. It is not THAT expensive and it really makes a difference between "polished product" and "cheesy indie feel".

Sure, they might not HAVE to pay for it, but there's a time and place for investment, and that's not a bad thing to do once they get closer to a finished product.

6. Supay

Supay Commander

I would hope for some voices with ships computer like "Shields at 50%" or at the very least "We are under attack!" stuff like that is needed. However the game is still getting some more frame work before we get any creme filling.

ravien_ff likes this.
  7. TmikeS3

TmikeS3 Commander

you mean like what pilots call a Bitching Betty?

8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I love Aura in EVE Online! "Warp drive active"

Would love an optional ship computer voice. But yeah probably closer to beta or launch.