Warp Drive - Choices.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Quagorn, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Quagorn

Quagorn Ensign

This is far from a huge request, but after brushing the dust of several of my old ships I find that their whole..astethics so to speak is now lacking because the newer warpdrive just does not fit in. I also find that when building new CV's I often miss the old doughnut shaped warp drive, I think it looked kind of awsome and had it on display behind glass in almost every CV I made up until the new warp drive came. I just miss it a lot. So It would be awsome with the old one back and maybe some other choices.

Track Driver likes this.
  2. Track Driver

Track Driver Rear Admiral

I agree.
    I was doing the same thing putting the warp drive behind glass because it DID look awesome. The current drive is more compact, which is nice, but the old one had more visual impact.
    Yes. Perhaps warp drive could be like Cargo Box. Select an icon and scroll thru several variants?

3. Morrigan

Morrigan Lieutenant

I agree with this notion. Thematically, the old warpdrive was gorgeous, and I too miss it. I'm willing to settle for it being a T2 warp drive, something that's more efficient with pentaxid, or maybe can jump to warp without dropping shields.

Track Driver likes this.
  4. Joij

Joij Lieutenant

The old warpdrive actually looks like a warpdrive. Especially since in order to accurately and scientifically warp spacetime you need a toroid shape in order to compress the spacetime in front and expand the spacetime behind.

The new warpdrive as in Empyrion now actually looks like a hyperdrive from Star Wars.
    Empyrion_Warp_Drive.jpg
    Hyperdrive_Star_Wars.png

And below you can see how the old warpdrive looked like an actual Alcubierre Warpdrive that scientists actually think is theoretically possible.
    Empyrion_Old_Warp_Drive.jpg
    Alcubierre_Drive.jpg

Now of course if you had my opinion I would say bring back the old warpdrive, call it a warpdrive, and then rename the current version to a hyperdrive. But I don't think Eleon would do that as a hyperdrive would probably need new mechanics such as hyperlanes (kind of like Stellaris) and hypermatter instead of pentaxid. Also considering the game is already out of early access, I personally believe all future updates coming to Empyrion are just going to be bug fixes and optimizations, with the biggest updates just adding more customization to the config files.

Track Driver likes this.
  5. Track Driver

I don't know, but I'm inclined to disagree with your last statement.

However, I think screenshot #3 is a clever use of stair blocks. ;)

Germanicus likes this.
  6. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Actually... I do not try to imagine what is today thinkable and what might be doable in the 24th Century...People AND Circumstances are different for sure! Most things which are today not even a 'Brain Fart' of Scientists might be a hard evidence in the coming Centuries.
    Therefore if a Warp Drive Engine now 'looks' like if it is thought off today or rather like from known SF-Genre Devices... Not really worth to think about it IMO.

That some newer Device Designs 'disturb' Older Builds... :rolleyes:
    A Langley won't be able to carry the Power-Plant of the Nimitz.
    Which demonstrates perfectly well that most things develop not into the direction to be smaller and more efficient than older inventions.;)

Track Driver likes this.
  7. Joij

Joij Lieutenant

The fact that Eleon probably won't add any large updates to the game now that it is released, or the suggestion about making hyperdrives?

8. Track Driver

I didn't mean to be obscure. I was referring to your last sentence. I don't know, but I believe Eleon will continue to grow and enhance the game. I might not care for ALL the enhancements, but I believe there is still more to come. At the very least, I'm waiting for BETTER CROSSHAIRS!!

Germanicus likes this.
  9. Joij

Joij Lieutenant

I don't know but back when they announced the Christmas Update it sorta sounded like it was going to be a sizable one. However it was stuff that's really more important to scenario creators. From the player side of things we only really got factions that are now invisible until you walk up to a POI (which I personally find annoying).

Maybe next update? At least when they fix all the bugs first.

Track Driver likes this.