TEASER Watch out!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    NewOrbitalView_1.jpg
    NewOrbitalView_2.jpg

2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

So. Pretty.

3. SacredGlade

SacredGlade Captain

Hmmm, so we have an atmosphere? And it appears that mountains are more pronounced/visable from space? And clouds too!

Hopefully airless moons will look very different now?

4. cmguardia

cmguardia Commander

Simply beautiful!!! :):););)

5. khulkhuum

khulkhuum Lieutenant

That's really big improvement! Looking wonderful, so keep up the great work!

6. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Damn those are looking snazzy.

7. ECubed

ECubed Commander

That's pretty awesome Hummell. Wonder if this is taking advantage of the new Unity.

8. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

Very nice, and much better :)

I guess that this new space view will have lots of usable parameters for planet/scenario creators (colors, visibility, thickness, etc.) so that things could be more dramatic/realistic/spacey/colorful/etc.

Only thing that I dont like is that visible terrain is 'not realistic' with that current terrain height we see - is should have some percentage/ratio for scale... maybe half of actual height size, so that planets dont look overly small from space. This is just my 'visual' complain, nothing more :D

9. CaptRiker

CaptRiker Lieutenant

PLZ PLZ PLZ if you are reworking planets from the space side.. plz plz plz add global position sat's so we can bookmark/see where our bases are FROM SPACE :)

10. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I keep coming back and looking at the pretty pictures. You would think the desert planet would be boring, but that view...

ravien_ff likes this.
  11. Jawatraders

Jawatraders Lieutenant

That looks really awesome

ravien_ff likes this.
  12. Cleff

Cleff Captain

So I'm assuming this is just a "height-map" type representation of the actual planet's map displayed from the space view but does not actually show what is on the planet itself. Like if I built a base on one of those cliffs I wouldn't be able to see it from space. I don't expect it but it'd be nice if there was some practical reason to implement this besides aesthetics. Still, it looks really good compared to that spherical planet model where all celestial bodies looked the same. Good work boys!

ravien_ff likes this.
  13. H.P. Strangelove

This sort of looks like the planet is being simulated - similar to SE. Looks pretty awesome so far.

banksman45 and ravien_ff like this.
  14. cmguardia

cmguardia Commander

If the details of the relief and lakes are better, it is easier to distinguish one mountain from another or one lake from another. That way it is easier to know where my base is. As it is currently I confuse the relief of similar mountains or lakes and upon entering the planet I discover that I am far from where I believed. Be as I applaud the work done and the effort invested!

Si los detalles del relieve y lagos son mejores, es mas fácil distinguir una montaña de otra o un lago de otro. De esa manera es mas fácil saber donde está mi base. Tal como está actualmente suelo confundir el relieve de montañas similares o lagos y al ingresar al planeta descubro que estoy lejos de donde creía. Sea como fuera aplaudo el trabajo echo y el esfuerzo invertido!

khulkhuum and ravien_ff like this.
  15. Jacob Adjani

Jacob Adjani Captain

Love the increased detail/height mapped terrain... hate to be the skunk at the garden party here, but... does anyone else think the atmospheric "glow" is WAY too pronounced?

Google a picture of Earth from space - the atmospheric "halo" is extremely thin... this may of course be in part due to the relative size of a real planet (i.e. Earth) and the small ones in the game... but I'm wondering if that can be toned down a bit?

16. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Nice, and I am not seeing the pole pancake in either screenshot.
    But that may only be because of the angle...

Sofianinho and SacredGlade like this.
  17. cmguardia

cmguardia Commander

Also following the idea of planets and geostationary markers.
    In general we can say that there are always a few points left after the complete unlocking of the technology tree. It could be a last device to launch this "satellite" and leave that point marked on the planet as seen from outside it. Let's say a portable device like a small take-off platform, and entering materials, make the "satellite" and launch it. Thus marking the place.
    Example: I place the platform in front of my base, make a launch and that point is marked on the map seen from space. We lift the platform and take it to another side (an enemy base, a market or Polaris base or any point of interest), we mount it in its vicinity, we make another launch and it would be marked from space. Moving on planets with a Capital ship is a lot of fuel consumption and can be complicated if we have active Mass / volume.

Igualmente siguiendo la idea de planetas y marcadores geoestacionarios.
    En general podemos decir que siempre sobran algunos puntos después del desbloqueo completo del árbol tecnológico. Podría ser un último dispositivo que lance este "satélite" y deje marcado ese punto en el planeta visto desde fuera de este. Digamos un dispositivo portátil como una pequeña plataforma de despegue, e ingresando materiales, fabrique el "satélite" y lo lance. Quedando así marcado el lugar.
    Ejemplo: Ubico la plataforma frente a mi base, realizo un lanzamiento y ese punto queda marcado en el mapa visto desde el espacio. Desmotamos la plataforma y la llevamos a otro lado(una base enemiga, un mercado o base Polaris o punto de interés cualquiera), la montamos en su cercanía, hacemos otro lanzamiento y quedaría marcada desde el espacio. Moverse en planetas con una nave Capital es mucho consumo de combustible y puede complicarse si tenemos Masa / volumen activo.

18. GenghisBob

GenghisBob Ensign

I agree that the effect may be to pronounced, however love the effect and assume it can be tweaked to where it needs to be.

Look forward to it!

ravien_ff likes this.
  19. JaPhiSo

JaPhiSo Ensign

Looks like the forbidden pole regions are gone!

Sofianinho likes this.
  20. khulkhuum

khulkhuum Lieutenant

Looking at the first planet, there is a small mountain on the lower side, ocean on the right, some flat terrain (but not pancake flat) on the upper and mountains on the left. Poles would need to be visible from this angle even in the slightest, but i see none. Perhaps the planets themselves will have smaller pole regions?

I'm all for having such beautiful landscapes seen from space. Great job Eleon!

Cleff likes this.