we need shields in empyrion !

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by BloodRaven, Jan 4, 2019.

?

Would You Like To See Shields Implimented Into Empyrion ?

1. Yes

71.4%
  2. No

9.5%
  3. I could care less !

19.0%
  1. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Ensign

this thread may have been put in here a 1000 times we need sheilds in empyrion.... to stop building bulky meaningless ugly lag shot protected ships for no reason when we could just use a shield ...

maybe they could draw off the power like engines when struck by projectiles but only for a certain amount of time till the energy pool is drained or w/e

how many people want shields let let empyrion devs know again !

2. TmikeS3

TmikeS3 Lieutenant

actually, There are a lot of sci fi settings that don't use shields, Amor can work just as well, and even with shield s it would never replace the armor on most of my ship builds. I want my Cursers and larger ships to actually feel like true capitol vessels. That being said I can see how they might be a boon for Cutters, Frigates, And destroyers maybe even light cursers . As those ships being small light and Maneuverable. Those ships depend on there foot work so to speak to survive in combat But honestly what I would like to see more is being able to set up some of our turrets for point defense. as some of them with there high rates of fire would be really good at shooting down missiles, Which would give as an active defense against incommoding projectiles, and not just the passive ones of shields or armor. now that I think about it I would like to see some kind of ECM as well.

3. Vermillion

Vermillion Captain

Shields are already on the Empyrion to-do list and have been for a long time. However, we're not going to see them for a very long time because they're a very minor addition to the game and a sad excuse for bad pilots to not get any better at the game.
    Armor will always be more important due to the high resource allocation, acceleration and handling considerations required in the construction of a ship.

4. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Well Pointed out:) This Question is as old as the "Armor vs Shield Technique"-Debate of SW-Fans against ST-Fans :D

5. TmikeS3

TmikeS3 Lieutenant

Oh No love for the R BSG fans? B-5 and the expanse? all worlds with minimal or no shields

6. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

BSG and B-5 (Expanse I cant watch as having no TV or will to pay) have only the Armor Plating usage... so no Love for them:) Whatever ELEON will come up with in Terms of Shield Tech...the shielding of whole Ships or even Bases might go over the top of energy supply availability of the Vessel or Structure.
    SW-Universe uses Planetary Shields but Combat Ships use mostly Armor and Shields only for Vital Parts like Bridges or Generators.
    As I said, whatever type of Shield EGS will have one day it may or may not satisfy the Players in their Quest for Invulnerability.

7. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

Missing explanation on how shield should work, so the voting becomes meh.
    How much lag can you endure when in a large PvP battle?
    Most game elements added might need added calculations. There is a limit (after optimization) how many you can have before you get issues.

Can say that shield technology is not developed yet, in EGS known universe. If it had, then less important with different block health.
    Shields would probably prolong fights, that already can take a while.

Germanicus likes this.
  8. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Captain

I always get a laugh from threads like this.

If people knew these devs well enough they would know that IF we get shields then the aliens will probably get some super weapon at the same time.

Then we will probably have to include these (probably resource expensive) shields in every build just to even stand a chance.

Just wait, lol.

9. Vermillion

Vermillion Captain

Well, pulse lasers are utter garbage, so if we get shields they'll likely be highly susceptible to laser weaponry.
    It's also possible that rather than getting a ridiculous HP-sponge bubble around our ships we'll get wall that covers only one direction to protect from either head-on or rear attacks.

BloodRaven likes this.
  10. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Ensign

id go for that as long as it could be moved to the direction of fire :)

11. Captain Amazing

I'd be happy with a shield that just absorbs a few kicks so I don't have to do nitty gritty repairs every time I fly over a random Zirax sniper.

Entering a real dogfight? Shields will be depleted quickly, and you'll need armor and skills. But sitting on the repair bay after every resource run doesn't enhance my play experience, it's just an annoying chore, with the added aaargh that you can't use any of the new logistics with the repair bay, you are back to loading resources by hand.

BloodRaven and Hydraulic Saint like this.
  12. IronCartographer

With the right mechanics and justifications, shields can introduce some amazing balancing.

BAs and POIs could benefit from shields, for both small subsections and overall protection from bombardment (making on-foot capture of a POI essential, vs. the targeted coring with a vessel cheese of today).

Shields could make CV weapons balanced on planet, and even lend a hand in allowing HV and SV to be merged... All it takes is a little creativity with shield strength and power requirements.

Shield power consumption and strength would be affected by two things: Motion, and nearby mass.

• BA/POI shield could be efficient due to staying still (static shield rather than requiring power to adapt its location)
    • CV shields would be power-hungry (massive hull, field has to be able to move with the ship)
    • SV-style ships could have a strong shield due to low-mass, despite moving a lot
    • HV-style tanks would be too close to the ground (interference calculated from hover engines being active perhaps?) / have too much hull for shields to be cost-effective on a large scale.
    BA vs. Everything: Strong unless a player can sneak through the shield on foot and core it..somehow.

CV vs. BA: BA has a huge advantage in shield economy and strength. Meaningful siege results.
    SV vs. BA: I hope you're trying to rush in and drop players into a poorly defended access door...or frequently returning to a shield-recharge station
    HV vs. BA: Shields won't work well with all the heavy turrets you're carrying, so you'll want armor, which makes shields even less effective, and you'll also want improved hover mechanics while you're at it...

SV vs. CV: Shield strength will be surprisingly similar, though obviously CV turrets will pack a punch. CV maneuverability should be reduced so that SVs can stay in blind spots / require turret spread...
    SV vs. HV: Yeah... this could get dicey. SVs might need chaff launchers or something to counteract rockets. The SV's shield will help equalize against the HV's armor somewhat, but expect the HV to win 1:1

HV vs. CV: The CV will have to be burning a ton of fuel just to stay in the air, let alone sustain its shields. The HV's artillery should probably be buffed to be on par with the CV's.

You may have noticed the idea of an SV being able to recharge its shield at a CV/BA. You know how BAs have solar capacitors? Take those, and give that system to every structure, with way more power I/O speed (wattage) than generators for the same mass/volume. Result: You can have way more power for a short time, with lightweight blocks, but it doesn't sustain the way generators do with higher weight and fuel use -> SVs with powerful shields that need to recharge between fights (either from slow onboard generators or by landing at a recharge station).

Fighters could use these lightweight but high power capacitors for sustaining their shield, while tanks could focus on armor and generator mass for more sustained combat (and maybe some localized shielding around important sections, power cost be damned).

RazzleWin and BloodRaven like this.
  13. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Ensign

interesting view i like :)

14. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Ensign

true shields should not make you invulnerable .... as i was wanting to suggest they should have limitations and be costly to make you better manage your power .. but my original point is to no longer have to encase myself in 1000 triangles and insta win...which is ridiculous id much rather see something that is fair across the board to equal out pvp ... however on the pve side of things i see how this could be an issue for poi's and npc ships against the human players ...

15. IronCartographer

Indeed; shields could be backed up by energy capacitors which store energy to rapidly recharge the shield HP, but once the capacitors are depleted, the shield goes down and takes ages to recharge. :)

They would have to be programmed to consume "excess" energy--the difference between whatever you're using for other devices and the maximum reasonable power output of the generators, plus whatever is currently stored in the capacitors.