Filed / Tracking Weird HV behaviour while mid air. [7803]

Discussion in 'Tracking / Filed' started by ☢ Grumbledore ☢, Feb 8, 2021.

1. ☢ Grumbledore ☢

☢ Grumbledore ☢ Ensign

Build: 1.4 3259
    Mode: Survival
    Mode: Dedicated
    SERVER NAME: Taelyns server :D
    SEED-ID: -

If applicable:
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: -

Reproducibility: always
    Severity: minor

Type: Game Bug

Summary:
    hv rapidly changes direction

Description:
    while mid air flying in an hv getting closer to the ground it suddenly rises the nose up.

better showcase of the issue:

contact Taelyn for savegame :D

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  2. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Happens to me when driving over a ridge not noticing a Plant, Rock or another object on the other side and my HV rolls over or raises its nose to the sky. Could be the same for you?

3. ☢ Grumbledore ☢

☢ Grumbledore ☢ Ensign

well yes and no. there is something below the hv but the hv is still about 1m above it. seems like the distance to ground calculation is off.

this video shows it a bit better. i am only pressing w for the forward thrust. video was recorded in singleplayer vanilla.

Germanicus likes this.
  4. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

OK...:confused:. that's weird.

5. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

How is the HV balanced ? Is it loaded with cargo ? Can you see center of gravity with the debug tools ?

6. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

7. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I just did the test with a dozen HV / SV, and although the center of mass is offset, it never raised the nose of the ships when riding them.

This one just like the others had an offset mass center, but rode flat just fine.

NewGame_32_2021-02-09_01-59-08.png
    Very basic build, and most of the mass is at the rear (fuel tank filled and generator).

Only problem I see is that it's going to be hard to determine if there was a balance problem if the center of mass is just borked to start with.

One way or another, this can hardly be a "game bug" if we can't exclude the HV fault, either build or cargo. Short 10 seconds video are no help here.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    Germanicus likes this.
  8. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

That was my point;)

Kassonnade likes this.
  9. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I edited at the same time you quoted me.

I just checked in the BlocksConfig, and many of the cockpits are marked as "obsolete - do not delete". Some of them even have wrong size in blocks.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    Germanicus likes this.
  10. ☢ Grumbledore ☢

☢ Grumbledore ☢ Ensign

The Black spider looking Thing is actually a BP provide by the game. It was completly empty beside me carrying fuel.

I did enouncter it on taelyns Server and talked to him before Posting it here and showing him the Video too.

The other hv I used is a build I made on the server just a Quick and dirty hv to get arround. I dont like the motorbike. Mass is decently Balanced and it was empty too on one of the vids.

11. ☢ Grumbledore ☢

☢ Grumbledore ☢ Ensign

Did you actually just fly on flat ground or did you run up a Hill and sent that Thing flying like I did in the Videos?

Flying above ground works fine. Mid air is where the issues Start to Pop up.

The hvs I have tested Start to suddenly tilt to the side when there is an uneven path. The up tilt seems more like a collision detection issue to me. It's like the back of the hv Hits the ground earlier then it should.

12. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

If you're going uphill you already have your nose up, it's not surprising that when making the jump in free flight your vessel decides to follow its impulse. HV are also subject to atmospheric drag just like SV and their shape will be taken into account as well as their position.

There were explanations on how the air affected ships, and even though we were told that a ship made "like an arrow" would fly easily, it falls under common sense that this only applies if the ship flies horizontally. Going uphill with a non-aerodynamic HV and jumpig off a cliff is far from showing a HV problem here.

As for the "tilt" it may be caused by a slight offset of the center of mass, by the angle at which the ship may be drifting if not going in a straight line, or any obstacle detected by the craft, because that's just what it does : detecting the ground and preventing players from going further than max distance allowed for a HV, and applying correction as it can while the player is still pressing WASD...

Best way to show a problem would be to run a test on flat ground, with obvious obstacles that leave no doubt about their possible effect when the HV will pass over. This way, if anything strange happens, it can not be explained by any other "normal" game mechanic like atmospheric drag, build shape or mass balance.

13. ☢ Grumbledore ☢

☢ Grumbledore ☢ Ensign

I do know how hv's behave I have flewn quite a bunch in the last 1.1k hours of game time. And I am aware of the game mechanics.

How about you actually try to properly Replicate it instead of doing a sloppy test providing inaccurate results.

What you are calling ground detection is the collision detection.

I was able to Replicate this issue on 2 different Servers und in sp with different types of hv's in a Real case Environment.

That being said I will do as you suggested and will use a flat surface to just to reproduce it there again once I am home from work :D

Cheers mate.

14. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Then what I wrote you could have written yourself. A "sloppy test" is one that can't be replicated, that's not even a test it's just normal play, and because you can't explain what you experience does not mean it's a bug. I'm not trying to show that, I'm telling you there's nothing to learn from your 10 seconds videos, apart that you're flying erratically in a HV.

15. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Filed under 7803

16. ☢ Grumbledore ☢

☢ Grumbledore ☢ Ensign

well those 10 seconds were enough for 2 developers to spot the odd behaviour of the hv which you failed to spot. i didnt had time to actually look into your suggested "scenario" for the test.

but as a last salute i got a video for you. i did not press any keys while flying all that wiggling was caused by the game.

on a final note. please do me a favour and stay away from topics i create. at least as long as you dont have anything to contribute. thank you very much and what you say is quatsch :D

17. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I saw perfectly well what you did, as anyone can see it too, and that's beside the point.

If you were not touching controls you would not turn. Having 1k + hours does not make you a genius obviously. You might even be having a controller problem (not you : the device you use?)

I'v been flying HVs over trees, jumping off mountains, diving and zipping around, and nothing like this happened apart from normal leveling or reactions to input. We can even see your side thrusters going on and off even though you say you touched nothing while flying. Good luck to them for "reproducing" it. Maybe it's just you having a problem.

Stuff it, k ? Such a princess...

If you think I'm not trying to help find the issue - if it's one to start with - then just ask yourself why would I make the test on my side, or just waste a minute with someone with your kind of attitude.

Eleon has been plagued with bug reports for years, and the game is still riddled with apparent "bugs", and I'm just trying to give pointers as to what may cause some issues. It may be the server not getting your key presses or stacking them, or it can be terrain stamps mixed up, but just showing you HV with its nose up is not enough - repeating myself here.

With your last video there is at least one thing I saw that we could not see in other videos, but at this point I think I'll just let them search for it, because it looks like that it's what you want.

I want them to find solutions, not just poke around like blind men searching for an exit while players throw them rocks.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  18. ☢ Grumbledore ☢

☢ Grumbledore ☢ Ensign

Repeating myself here, seems like you didn't.

Yep my pack fresh Razer Blackwidow Elite is sending false input signals. Makes sense.

you did waste your time, the time of others and my time with an inappropriate test and the conclusions you have drawn so gg.

And i will repeat myself here. I was asked by a dev to post this here so it is officially recorded while he forwards the issue.

This contradicts your testing method which could have been avoided from the beginning, if you would have read more thoroughly. Same goes for the following statement of yours:

btw the behaviour in that video can also be seen in the video where i used the spidertank. this only shows that you didnt pay attention to the video at all princess peach. so stuff it, k?

19. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

So it's just you then.

You are wasting the developer time with your sketchy infos. If you want to make shows you could at least put sound in your videos and say something so you don't just look like a dumbass flying with his nose up.

Yes, and I'm sure he asked you to use the template, but that's just for others.

If what I wrote was so stupid then why did you make another video ?

It's still you pressing the keys, so this makes assessing the "real" problem difficult. The game problem, not yours.

Yours is just the usual mental problem that seems to affect many players thinking that the devs can guess what you do by watching you recording the nose of a random HV flying over terrain. Of course you are clueless as what could be the issue, right ? So if you're so smart, then tell us please how developers find bugs from watching one lousy video.

At least I succeeded in getting you to provide more info : now we know the controller brand you use. Nice work. You'll help the devs way more by providing more details and steps than by arguing with me. Don't expect them to tell you something like this : they have much more important things to do than trying to convince each player that the more info they provide, the quicker problems can be solved.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021