Weird problem default scenario, Dedicated server.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Donbingo, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Donbingo

Donbingo Commander

A friend and I was yesterday testing out different things with dedicated servers, and it all went fine, but we both wanted to revert to default settings, but had forgotten to save the original yaml file.

we both validated via Steam, and got the "missing" yaml file restored.

And now the fun began.
    no matter what we did we got indefinite loading screen while trying to connect to the server.
    and after a lot of searching, we have found out that in the dedicated logfile, it cant start the playfield.
    then to the playfield log. there it cant find the prefab for default scenario.

in the folder for the default scenario there are no prefab folder, and no content folder.
    what should there be there?

We can now get all the other scenarios to work, but not the default scenario.

2. Christianholmes

Christianholmes Captain

There is no prefab folder under the default scenerio. It pulls everything from the root prefab folder. Pro-tip: When creating a new scenerio, don't copy anything from the root prefab folder- you only need custom POIs in a prefab folder under the scenerio.

When you got the new .yaml, everything would have reverted. Check the scenerio name, and the save name, and the server port. Change those back to whatever was working for you.

3. Donbingo

Donbingo Commander

thats the thing, nothing work when using the default multiplayer scenario.
    I even tried complete new install, and no change at all to the default Yaml.

It works fine with all other scenarios. are now playing The Lost City Of Sol-Exploration scenario without problems.

4. SilvRav

SilvRav Captain

You mention dedicated server - where is is this running? separate PC or on you or your friends PC?

5. Donbingo

Donbingo Commander

its running on friends server, but we were both doing tests, by setting up dedicated servers on both computers, and everything worked until we both validated the files via Steam.
    After that, the default MP scenario dont work anymore, all other scenarios do work.

6. SilvRav

SilvRav Captain

Steam validates, and then fixes only files they detect errors with. Thus you might have changed a setting in the yaml file/sector file/scenario file which was not replaced by steam but a corresponding linked file was replaced.

worst case you will need to completely uninstall the game and reinstall

7. Donbingo

Donbingo Commander

I only changed in the dedicated yaml file no other place, and I have reinstalled all and so have the friend. still no luck with default MP.

Its not a huge problem, for we can play all other scenarios, its just weird.

8. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Ensign

Completely unrelated - I did a Steam file validation the other day, and after starting the game and trying to load some SP save games, Empyrion started to corrupt them, then remove them from the save games list.

Had to do a complete uninstall of the game, re-download, un/re-subscribe from all Workshop items, THEN go and restore and reload the saves the game had broken, from backups I had made.

Empyrion doesn't like something about the Steam validator. I'd use it very sparingly, and only after a full game directory backup.

9. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

I dunno about any of that, over 3 years never re-installed the game once, its much more likely theres just a simple error on a YAML somewhere.

When you verified files, if you have set up a dedicated server you will have set port numbers on the modem, they must match whats on the YAML files or no connecty connecty .

If you are trying to connect to it all of your ports will be default 30000, its best to set servers to something other than 30000, I use 26,000 for example, I never have connection problems with the PC at home and the server at home that run through the same modem but are different PCs.

Its also more likely the game has corrupted the files not Steam.

Empyrion validates and syncs to Steam everytime you load the game up, AND everytime you shut the game down, it does a sync update.

It could be that the MP Default version simply has a bug your unaware of that requires the devs to fix, the log files would help in that regard.

You can imagine I have literally thousands and thousands of Empyrion files, hundred and hundreds of saves spanning from before pre alpha release to current day and the 3000 versions in between , the creation of The Lost City of Sol scenario is another couple of thousand files, its literally around 120 GB of raw data in folders , saves, planets Ive created, things we have tested on all different version, WS builds, scenario WB builds, and of all of those mumbo jumbo mix of files ,,the game, the PC have never needed re-installing once so the game isn't really unstable , from experience its almost always a YAML file error, usually a simple space added or removed, as little as that, YAML stuffed.

If you re-installed, does the default multiplayer game start of your client pc, just playing it yourself ?

If it does that tells you there is no bug in the default MP version of the game, devs end, and that there is most likely a yaml error your end.

Does the Tutorial work is SP ?

And does the default base game start in SP ?

Test these three things to find out if theres a developer bug on one of there YAMLS.

If they all run in SP, start looking at your dedicated server YAML because its most likely that's where the error is.

It must be set up manually for any of these to work on a full blown dedicated server.

The dedicated server folder does not have files built in to run all 3 versions.
    The Empyrion Galactic Survival folder has all the files to run all three version in SP, so its easy to test where the fault lies.

Fractalite likes this.