What are your hopes for 10.0?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spacefarmer, Jan 9, 2019.

1. spacefarmer

spacefarmer Captain

Well, with 9.0 out, and people getting used to that (or not), it's time to do some speculating, and spit balling on ideas for the future.

Assuming they aren't going into beta at that point (which I thought I heard they wouldn't be), what are your hopes for 10.0, or maybe as bonuses for the rest of 9.x?

Here are the main things I would like to see:

Improve space content
    - Better, less cartoony skybox, more darkness and realism
    - Better transitioning between planets and space, smooth transition if possible
    - Improvement on planetary visuals from space ability to see raising of mountains
    - Finally realize the "galactic" part of the name, giving multi star system travel, with a full galactic map view, populated by system maps as they are discovered
    - Ability to travel to the sun, as well as different star types, which result in different system planetary composition
    - Expand distances within space, making take much longer to get from planet to moon and around the area of a planet in general
    - Planetary rings with asteroids, landable gas giants with weather and floating alien structures, flying alien creatures, nebulas, etc
    - Planetary scanners, allowing instant access to planet data, territory control, resources, etc.
    - Space detectors, allowing for detection of ships and stations, as well as asteroid resources
    - Walking in a moving ship

Building Improvement
    - Freeform blocks, or block shaping, to give more smooth building shapes
    - Increase building limits
    - Teired farming systems, hydroponics, vertical farming racks, etc

NPC Improvement
    - Ability to actually have walking around NPC in your base that do useful things, such as tending a farm, sell special items, shoot enemies, etc
    - More races of intelligent NPC, bipedal and wheeled/hovering robots, hover craft convoys/highways, and storyline missions that reveal lore/culture of these different groups

These are obviously all super wish list materials, but a lot of it is achievable I think within the existing framework that they've laid out. If we can expand space to the extent that we have a huge amount of area to explore and discover, make building and farming more flexible, and give more depth and meaning to NPC, I think I would never stop playing this game. I hope we see at least some of these things soon.

So what do you think of my suggestions, and what do you want to see for 10.0 and beyond?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. Jawatraders

Jawatraders Lieutenant

I hope 10.0 includes the Tech Tree rework/overhaul we've been hearing about for a pretty long time. But a space update would also be nice.

Maybe 10.0 will have both! :D

Gainesterism, TK85 and spacefarmer like this.
  3. IronCartographer

Don't forget that the second part of 9.x hasn't dropped yet: Attack wave improvements.

I'm hoping they introduce a closed gameplay loop with serious threats where you can venture somewhere for high risk, high reward situations that are a real gamble. Something that makes PvE players glad they kept their home base well protected and ready as a respawn point, because their CV got wrecked. Or hijacked. CV<->CV boarding and POI-style combat layered on top of walking on moving ships? :D

Risk: Losing your CV.

Reward: Claiming another one!

Patrol Vessels should be possible to capture, at least.

Bollen, victusfate, Ballard and 8 others like this.
  4. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

You pretty much nailed it for me on the space wishlist.

To add to that, better space POI support for yaml files (ability to use spawn groups and spawn names, for example).

More sky boxes would be a huge improvement. Don't get rid of the bright and shiny ones, but add in some darker ones too.

5. Neurocite

Neurocite Ensign

Make pve combat and mining less like pulling teeth.

dichebach and Cleff like this.
  6. T431

T431 Captain

I agree 100% on the space bit. On planets there's a good amount of things to do, in space there's hardly anything.
    At most I travel between moons and planets, or a trade station. Maybe I stumble upon a poi on the way that I raid, and that's it. The potential for fun gameplay in space is massive however. I'd like mining to be better, to have detectors in space, maybe storms and the like, convoys you can either protect from attackers for a reward, or attack yourself, all that jazz.

Bollen, Uruhara86, Sephrajin and 4 others like this.
  7. CaptRiker

CaptRiker Lieutenant

I am really really really hoping we finally get 2 checkbox's when setting difficulties in singleplayer games.. 1) deposit/asteroid regen and 2) poi regen :)

8. Neurocite

Neurocite Ensign

Make docking between different classes possible sv>hv, hv.sv etc
    Turrets on sv's with additional functionality like beds so that they are a viable alternative for longer in the game rather than sprinting for a capital ship because of grow plots/long warp/beds etc.
    I would like some basic automation.
    An easy way to transfer progress to a new start,i know its easy with file swaps but it would be great to just have an import progress button with a drop menu to select the save to transfer assets from.
    some way to integrate a ship while its docked so that accessing the docked ships modules (constructors for example) is more straight forward and accessible through a ui .
    Drop in co-op
    I really do think that the biggest thing holding this game back right now is the clunky pve combat , i have a number of friends that show interest in the game but wont play because they have seen how the combat plays. it needs to be smoother with better hit boxes and more consistent ai. being hit through walls from 20 ft away by an uninterruptible animation is not fun and makes the combat primarily frustrating. ( what is going on with the ice skating scorpions )

9. Our Grid

Our Grid Captain

I think your list is great - like to have that walk in moving ships closer to the top though.

Were we getting shields at some point?

SpawnLuss and dichebach like this.
  10. IronCartographer

My theory (based on previous discussion and the aborted balancing pass for CVs in the past) is that now with cargo mass and volume in there's a good possibility of thruster/RCS rebalancing, which (being largely a nerf, especially for CVs) can be offset in the resulting pain by new features in the form of shielding...cloaking would be fun too, though that would get radar/sensor systems involved for a proper implementation...

..So: Probably. I think.

Dred_, dichebach and spacefarmer like this.
  11. mraadx

mraadx Ensign

now that we established a base for NPC factions. It's time for them to actually come and kill us for real. A few drones is a joke for THE MIGHTY ZIRAX EMPIRE. meanwhile I have annihilated their entire base on one planet. They should send a capital ship with a few war sv to attack us suddenly while on travel. or assassin while we're on foot. Currently no threat at all.

12. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I'm a big fan of space content, so it's my personal hope that the next update gives some love to space content and mechanics. There's a lot to add to this game though so no matter what they choose to focus on, I know I won't be disappointed.

Things I'd love to see soon:

Ability to spawn DSL enabled POIs by spawn group and use spawn names. More of a quality of life change though.
    Ability to spawn convoys of multiple freighters that travel together.
    A sensor/radar system for space.

More space backgrounds, darker nebula, galaxy backgrounds, etc.
    Control over lighting and fog in space. Let us simulate being inside a dense nebula, being close or far from the sun, etc.
    Better visuals of planets from orbit, show weather, cloud cover, atmosphere color, etc.

Add rock and resource blocks to the creative item menu so scenario creators can more easily create custom asteroids or asteroid POIs.
    Ability to set a custom description in the space_dynamic.yaml file.
    Random "unknown signals" that pop up on the solar system map from time to time that players can warp to and find interesting things to mine, salvage, or fight, and the ability to customize them for static or random scenarios.
    And of course, multiple solar systems.

Bollen, dichebach, Cleff and 3 others like this.
  13. IronCartographer

I've changed my mind. Force field shields. Definitely shields. But not just for ships. BAs and POIs could benefit from them as well, for both small subsections and overall protection from bombardment (making on-foot capture of a POI essential, vs. the targeted coring with a vessel cheese of today).

ALSO: SHIELDS COULD MAKE CV WEAPONS BALANCED ON PLANET, REMOVING ARBITRARY RESTRICTIONS :D

Balancing them would be tricky though. Maybe a BA/POI shield could be efficient due to staying still, CV shields would be power-hungry, an SV could have a strong shield due to low-mass (if you imagine the hull interfering with shield generation in the space around it), while HVs would be too close to the ground / have too much hull for shields to be cost-effective on a large scale (again, interference from nearby mass).

...Time to go searching for shield implementation / balancing threads, and make one if it doesn't exist...

Edit: More details- https://empyriononline.com/threads/we-need-shields-in-empyrion.46970/#post-289347

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  14. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I'm still waiting for this total redo of the abysmal "XP" system for a proper tech learning and research system.

I'm tired of picking corn dogs to learn to make my super carrier.

Kieve, Uruhara86, TK85 and 8 others like this.
  15. Sofianinho

Sofianinho Captain

Don't get your hopes too high tho, I'm sure some players will complain that the game is becoming "too hard" while they just want to build stuff, pick flowers and admire the sunset.

16. IronCartographer

No worries; they can stay on the starter...and never destroy the drone base; I hear that might summon a patrol vessel ... from space.

*crossing fingers* ;)

17. Jawatraders

Jawatraders Lieutenant

Maybe that's why the devs made freedom mode

18. TmikeS3

TmikeS3 Commander

I would actually like to see hydration tracked as well as hunger

19. H.P. Strangelove

I'd really love to see hirable NPC crew that can be assigned tasks.

20. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

What I'd like to see:
    Better/smoother movement/control of the player avatar. It's really clumsy in third person view.

Major improvements to combat.

Flesh out the volume/mass/cpu system.

Shields for ships and bases.

More weapons, more sizes, more turret options.

Improvements to the tech tree/advancement system.

Space update

More creative stuff for building(deco/textures) is always welcome. Someone needs to sit down and fix all the stuff that's not working with the mirror planes though.

Cleff, Sofianinho, Sephrajin and 6 others like this.