What is the easiest way to preserve players and their ships when re/starting a new solar system?

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by OmenZS, Jul 18, 2018.

1. OmenZS

OmenZS Ensign

Dedicated server -

We would like to preserve our ships, characters and factions when starting up a new solar system or scenario. Right now we all warp to a custom planet and hang out in the orbit. Save that game as a backup, launch a new one and then fiddle with it to import just the orbit+planet we logged out on, into the new system. This feels very hacky and messy and leaves residual files behind in the new system every time we do this.

Is there a better/easier/cleaner way to do this?

2. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Not really, you pretty much have it nailed, its a manual file manipulation like you have done if you want to do that sort of thing, BUT, I havent checked out the HWS Server Manager for a fairly long while now, its been improved for a couple of years now, maybe try grabbing it and seeing what its capable of because it does have the ability to do some very unique things the game doesnt do by default and I recon thats your best bet at finding a neater way around this problem.

HWS have a few dedicated threads on this forum, just have scan through them and find there server manager, everyone I know thats used it, has never gone back afterwards, its also very very stable coding.

OmenZS likes this.
  3. OmenZS

OmenZS Ensign

Thanks, @piddlefoot for the info. I will have a look and see if I can find the server manager.