What is the purpose of the chainsaw now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Feel My Burn, Jun 10, 2021.

?

Should Elyon buff the Chainsaw?

Poll closed Jun 17, 2021.
  1. No, Just get rid of it.

28.6%
  2. No, but keep it for the RP

7.1%
  3. Yes, but just so it's more economical to use the chainsaw instead of the survival tool

14.3%
  4. Yes, BUFF THAT ****!!! TURN IT INTO A MELEE WEAPON! RIP AND TEAR!

50.0%
  5. Yes, buff it so that it topples trees in one hit but leave it as a tool and not as a weapon.

28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Feel My Burn

Feel My Burn Ensign

So I'm playing 1.5 and trees are nothing to the survival tool now. Thing is, the chainsaw is almost worse than the survival tool. I almost regret making it and using a bit of bio fuel for it. It's objectively and economically better to use the survival tool instead of the chainsaw.

So, potential solution - Buff the chainsaw. Like a lot. Like the-difference-between-salvaging-a-block-with-the-survival-tool-and-a-T2-multitool a lot.

Please and Thank You

Bernie.

KRanKO5, dbeachy1 and bluemax151 like this.
  2. Stampy

Stampy Lieutenant

Another solution to this problem, instead of buffing the chainsaw, is to nerf the survival tool so it only gets fiber from the smaller trees and can't cut down the larger trees. That way the chainsaw has a specific role (logging and tree felling) but the survival tool gets you by in a pinch.

Thor'sHammer, Wellingtoon and KRanKO5 like this.
  3. bluemax151

bluemax151 Captain

Can you use the chainsaw underwater or with a drone? If not it can't really replace the survival tool's resource mode. I really appreciate being able to use the survival tool on the submerged trees you commonly find on Arid starters now. You couldn't do this before because you used defense mode with it to harvest trees prior.

You could buff it and maybe make it a melee weapon. I use the harvester on wildlife quit a bit so using a chainsaw for the same makes some sense. It does seem like it's going the way of the hand held mechanical drill though.

KRanKO5 likes this.
  4. Milarwen

Milarwen Lieutenant

I previously suggested turning the chain saw into a melee weapon not long ago, and heck yeah. They should. If we must kill zombies, let us kill zombies in style.

Biggest problem with this however, is that this game have none to minimal defense for using melee weapons and with the current injury/disease system, you better drive around in a portable hospital, if you are going to fight melee enemies.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    KRanKO5, Melganor and stanley bourdon like this.
  5. Feel My Burn

Feel My Burn Ensign

KRanKO5 likes this.
  6. Grimwar

Grimwar Ensign

Make it a melee weapon and make it work underwater so we can fend off Tellurapods!

Feel My Burn likes this.
  7. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Fairly certain the chainsaw can damage enemies, just been so long since I've even looted one, let alone used one, but I am almost completely positive I upset a wandering Talon or three and nicking them with it.

8. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

If you get near Legacy creatures you get infected most certainly, so as a weapon the chainsaw has zero utility. And else it's pretty useless, for the same reason a melee weapon wouldn't be good and only work on troops. Far better is to replace it with explosive grenades that you can detonate on command (booby traps).