What is this 'Convert to new mode' with LCDs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by japp_02, Mar 17, 2022.

1. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

I have used the Search but wasn't able to find something.
    I have problems when I copy-paste LCDs, or with the N menu, or with CTRL-C in the text of LCDs and pasting in an empty one; It will be visible with the colors I want but as soon as I go out of render range and return the LCD is black again. What happens? Has this Convert To New Mode something to do with it?

Foremost, does every LCD screen also need a separate LCD Projector?

Thanks,

2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

This happens on a server when using copy paste on LCDs.
    I don't know of a fix except to not copy paste them on a server.
    If you can reproduce in a vanilla game try to make a bug report maybe.

3. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

Thank you Ravien, currently I'm working to finish a space station in a Creative game, and I'm dealing with LCDs on elevators that mark the different floors. For that I have used the N menu to copy the elevator block containing the LCD and pasting it to its new place, after which I make litttle changes to the text. All this works and the result is perfect, but when I go down 1 floor (out of render range) and go up again the LCD is black. Same with LCDs on the same floor a few meters distant on a door that reads "'Landing Pad A", first it's visible then the screen is black when I return.
    If instead I place a new LCD and paste the text in it, all the text is messed-up, out-of-bounds, too big although the font size is the same, so I cannot use a new LCD.

BTW, I also notice that 'Undo' in the N menu will not revert any changes done in LCDs.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
    ravien_ff likes this.
  4. japp_02

japp_02 Commander

Ok, no bug, the black screen was caused by the copied LCD to be linked to a motion sensor, so I had to do a new motion sensor for the area I copied to.
    The text input will not fit what you see in the LCD result, by adding a certain text layout without special formats, what I enter is not what I'm seeing afterwards, it's all shifted to the right. Also I have tried to use the HTML tags for centering, but that doesn't work, so I used spaces, amateurish but it has to do.
    All in all, the creation of LCDs are much too complex to my taste.

I also noticed that Projectors lead to grafical anomalies, some nasty blinking at the output borders that I cannot eliminate, I will have to put them away because this is bad for the eyes.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022